Close
Close
    Twinpanther is offline ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Default Remember when kids actually had to be in the same room to play games?

Was cleaning out a closet today and found some stuff I haven't seen in many years. Back when I was a teenager in the late 70's early 80's a half dozen friends and I would gather at someones house to play D&D after school (Weekends were saved for football, lol). Looking back now it wasn't the game so much as just spending time will these guys that makes it such a great memory now.

Anywho, I found some of my old stuff and since I have a TriggerTrap v1 but haven't bothered to use it I figured I'd try it out. TriggerTrap (not the app version) in a nutshell basically connects to my camera and lets me take photos via laser, sound, light, or time triggers.

Dice1 by Twinpanther, on Flickr

Camera - Nikon D90
    Exposure - 0.005 sec (1/200)
    Aperture - f/4.5
    Focal Length - 50 mm
    ISO Speed - 100
    1. Broke out the nifty fifty.
    2. Set camera and SB600 to off camera flash
    3. Set figure where I wanted the focus to be and set focus
    4. Set battle scene about 3-4" behind focus point
    5. Placed flash at approx 45 degrees to the set-up about 12" away
    6. Placed TriggerTrap next to the flash
    7. Placed camera on the table for level viewing angle
    8. Set TriggerTrap to Sound Trigger and Sound levels to just above ambient room levels w/ no delay.

That's about it. When the dice hit the table top the camera would trigger. Took about 10 shots or so to get a decent height on the dice with at least one of the dice in focus (They don't bounce very straight, lol) let alone not bouncing out of the shot.

Oh, other than crop to 16x10 for my PC background there was no other post processing.

I think this is my first "How I Took It" so I hope you liked it.
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Sigma 50-500mm OS | Sigma 1.4 TC | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | SB600

rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

Cool Shot! I need to research that trigger... sounds like it might be fun to work with.
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

Twinpanther is offline ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Thanks Richard.

It is fun to work with but since I got mine back in the Kickstarter days they came up with an app that is pretty amazing and mostly left this in the dust. If you have an iPhone/iPad the app is amazing. If you have an Android device it's just OK. I guess it's the way the app works with the operating system. The app is free but you have to purchase a dongle and cable (about $25-$30). Still cheaper but if you like this sort of thing it's worth it.

I like it because it makes me want to be a different kind of creative. Of course wanting to and getting motivated to are two different things. LOL

Paul
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR | Nikkor 70-300mm VR | Sigma 50-500mm OS | Sigma 1.4 TC | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D | SB600

FranzG is offline Clumsy

Really nice, and thank you for inspiring a shot... although it's been quite hard to take just via the stock remote control.

F.
    Franz / Gervasius De Statuis
    Who has the gold, he makes the rules.

dsandler7 is offline I'm new here!

Great job! Your explanation was really helpful. Thx!

frenlydev is offline I'm new here!

Question query about d Trigger app

Hey.. Great work done!!
    I hav an Android tab and would like to use this app with my Canon 60D.
    Could you explain more about the interfacing and about the dongle and cable?
    Dont know anything about it.
    Like wat exactly should i go to buy in d camera accessories store and how to connect, interface and use it?
    If you would be kind enough to explain..
    Thank you.

Rommel Parada is offline Where is my lens cap?

What a great photo. I wish I could get motivated to learn how to use a flash. I don't think I have ever taken a shot where I used a flash (aside from kids and family photos) yet many of the pictures I have marked as a favorite on flickr use all sorts of strobes, slaves, triggers and other stuff that sounds foreign to me. I wouldn't even know where to start. All I know is that when I press the flash button on my camera a little light pops up at the top that instantly washes out all maner of color.

Anyway I don't mean to ramble. Great shot.

idb
    idb is offline Sabermetrician

That's a great shot. TFS.

cheers.

Ian
    idb

Pentax K200D with D-BG3 grip, FA 50/1.4, DA Limited 35/2.8 macro, DA 10-17/3.5-4.5 FISH-EYE, DA 17-70/4, DA 50-200/4-5.6, Sigma 30/1.4, Tamron 90/2.8 macro, Sigma 70-300/4-5.6, Sony DSCH-1 P&S with 12x zoom, plus a lot of 35mm Minolta gear.

dlbiininja is offline dPS Forum Member

That's a damn good shot. Going to have to check out the trigger trap that's an interesting set up.