Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: frozen rose.

smudged-blue is offline dPS Forum Member

Default frozen rose.

Hi,
    After seeing this idea being done before I thought I'd give it a go so tried this out yesterday for the first time and thought I'd share it as others may find it interesting.

Use a clear freezer-proof dish to suit the size of your subject. Make sure the dish is level in your freezer, using filtered water begin your first layer of water, being a couple of centimetre's deep, allow it to freeze before adding more layers, as this stops your subject from sinking to the bottom of the dish and by slowly building up layers gives you more control in placement of your subject (tip - just top up your layers without removing the dish from the freezer, as removing the dish to top up gave me problems and I had to start over a few times).

Place your subject in the dish after the first layer has frozen. Over the day add layers and allow it to freeze until your subject is covered (but don't cover it to thickly with the ice or it will be difficult to see the subject though the top of the ice). Once frozen if you want more of your subject to show through the ice use warm water (NOT boiling water) to help melt some of the ice away and to add interest with cracks. Once you are happy with the coverage of the subject sit your dish on a cloth near a window (I took mine outside in the late evening sun, due to poor lighting in our house) and shoot away.

I'm definitely doing this again, and will try to choose an easier subject (rose bud is chunky... LOL) I have many subject ideas in mind. My rose bud is not the perfect example, but gives you the idea.

I hope others will give it a go and post their results.

Camera - Canon 650D
    Aperture - f10
    shutter speed - 1/166sec
    ISO - 100
    Last edited by smudged-blue; 12-15-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - author unknown

My greatest Loves- My husband, our 3 boy's, animals, my canon EOS 650D, my canon EFs 18-55mm, EFs 18-135mm, EF 50mm and EF90-300mm lens, my speedlite 320EX and creating with prisma premier colored pencils.

RichardTaylor is offline dPS +1000 Club

Thanks for this post. A good idea.

lukehion is offline Photographer enthusiast

Interesting idea you've found for pictures. Rose looks just like live

Alicat is offline Obsessed. And happy.

Default Ice

If you boil the water first the ice should be more clear. Also would be interesting to get lighting from behind or at least INTO the ice from the side - that would really highlight the cracks.

I have not yet tried though, thanks for reminding me to do it!

smudged-blue is offline dPS Forum Member

Alicat - Great suggestions, once the mind gets going with this one the possibilities almost seem endless
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - author unknown

My greatest Loves- My husband, our 3 boy's, animals, my canon EOS 650D, my canon EFs 18-55mm, EFs 18-135mm, EF 50mm and EF90-300mm lens, my speedlite 320EX and creating with prisma premier colored pencils.

Steve_B is offline I'm new here!

That's a interesting technique. Got a few ideas to have a go at on the weekend if I get the time

Another way to get the ice clear is to gently vibrate the water while it's in the freezer...easier said than done though lol

Steve

GwenieThePooh is offline dPS +1000 Club

Clever idea I might have to try this
    GwenWeber
    Nikon-D7000; Nikon D-5000; Coolpix S8000; NIkkor 28-80mm & 70-300mm; Nikkor 12-24mm Wide Angle; Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Nikon , Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 & 55-200mm, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 & 35mm f/1.8
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwenweber/

mith is offline I'm new here!

This is indeed a good idea. i am going to try it tomorrow..
    Your pic is excellent..

Guruprasad Hegde is offline S.P.E.C.T.R.U.M

Default where is the pic!!??

is it only me who cant see a pic in this post!!??

idea looks interesting,just wanted to see a sample

ZafarSami is online now dPS +1000 Club

I can't see the pic either; I am trying to imagine it based on the EXIF data but failing. Obviously I do not have an artistic imagination
    Zafar
    Nikon D300s, Nikkor 50mm F1.4G, Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8, Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6, Nikon SB 900
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zafarsami/

Page 1 of 2 12 Last