Close
Close
    Amudgarden is offline He Hate Me

Default Cars over the bridge

Took this a little while after sunset on the Paper Mill bridge in northern Baltimore County, Maryland. Used my D700 with the 14-24mm at full 14mm, aperture at f/8, ISO 200. Dragged the shutter for 37 seconds, dark enough out that no neutral density was needed...just your typical simple shutter drag shot. The only trick to this shot was only getting cars towards me...if I had gotten cars heading away from me it would crowd the line of sight and drown out that burst of light my eyes are led to on the other side of the bridge

I needed about 3 or 4 cars to head across the bridge to get enough light to adequately strengthen the beams of light, but at the same time not get a single car heading away from me on the bridge. I also couldn't get a car with their brights on, because that bleached out the other side of the bridge.

beam

spersonna is offline I'm new here!

Default Thumbs up!

Great pic! Your patience and disciple paid off big time!

Collin is online now dPS Forum Member

How this is an absolutely beautiful picture!

daveste99 is offline I'm new here!

Default Well done!

Great effect and good job!
    Can you explain "dragging shutter", please?.

Thanks,
    Dave

Amudgarden is offline He Hate Me

Quote Originally Posted by daveste99 View Post
    Great effect and good job!
    Can you explain "dragging shutter", please?.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Thanks for the kind words. "Dragging the shutter" means leaving the shutter open manually. For example, my camera's maximum shutter exposure is 30 seconds per one press of the shutter release (i.e. the camera's sensor is exposed to the available light of the scene for 30 seconds). However, most cameras have a "bulb" function which allows you to keep the shutter open as long as you keep your finger pressed on the shutter release button.

So, if you put your DSLR on "blub" mode, and you press the shutter release button, hold your finger on it as long as you want, and the shutter stays open. Doing this allows all kinds of cool special effects like turning moving cars into beams of light at night...or in a completely dark room you can "paint with light" using a flashlight while keeping the shutter open...or show the stars move across the sky overnight...

Some remote shutters allow you to press the shutter button once, then you can walk away from the camera, go get a bite to eat, take a nap, then come back to the camera and press the shutter release a second time to close the shutter. You can get some cool time-lapse shots from that technique, like stars blurred as they moved across the sky...

Hope that helps, and thanks again for the compliment.

lukehion is offline Photographer enthusiast

Really shame that there are no cars on this photo

gforman01 is offline I'm new here!

The Nevius Street Bridge once carried car traffic across the Raritan River between Hillsborough and Raritan. In the 1840s a wooden bridge crossed at this location.

Ahannaabardon is offline I'm new here!

I know I love them! The splash give a great effect and the black background makes you focus on the little strawberry and give you hunger

BrendelMamaNV is offline Just a little shhutterbug

The slight tilt to the horizon really makes this shot. Great work!

Shardweshin is offline I'm new here!

I always loved pictures of peaceful streets at night. Maryland has quite an interesting bridge/ or bridges. Thanks for posting the pic!