Close
Close

Thread: Water Drop

origionaldirk is offline I'm new here!

Default Water Drop

This is one of my first attempts at water drops. Using a white bowl, food coloring, eye dropper and natural light. Shot with Nikon D5100 mounted on tripod, 18-105mm at 105mm, f/ 5.6, 1/1000 of a second, ISO 400. I would wait for a few seconds after adding the food coloring, then I would try to time my shot with the drop. It took a few attempts, but I figured out the timing pretty quickly. I plan on doing some more, with better props to make for a more interesting composition. Thanks for looking!

MojoJojoM is offline I'm new here!

The shot looks good but but it seems to be you have only focused on the center of the drop and the rest is on out of focus.
    --
    Sigs for your personal photography information, not advertising please!

Drummond is offline I'm new here!

I think it is an excellent effort -- and a very good result.

origionaldirk is offline I'm new here!

Thank you for your input! I was using natural light, non-macro lens, and had to open the f stop all the way to get the picture (sun was setting fast). I will be experimenting with diffused light and direct light in the future, and perhaps try a flash as well. That way i can use the light to freeze the action and perhaps go to f/8 for better DOF.

vincenttabor is offline I'm new here!

Default Thanks for the settings

Quote Originally Posted by origionaldirk View Post
    This is one of my first attempts at water drops. Using a white bowl, food coloring, eye dropper and natural light. Shot with Nikon D5100 mounted on tripod, 18-105mm at 105mm, f/ 5.6, 1/1000 of a second, ISO 400. I would wait for a few seconds after adding the food coloring, then I would try to time my shot with the drop. It took a few attempts, but I figured out the timing pretty quickly. I plan on doing some more, with better props to make for a more interesting composition. Thanks for looking!
    Thank you so much for sharing, it cant wait to try my own water drop shot :-)

Delos Angeles Photography is offline Newbie Photographer

Wow nice shot I once tried the the rain drop from my window but it was kinda dark even with a flash or indoor house lighting, any suggestion how to solve that?
    http://delosangelesphotography.com
    Understand the world better with still photos

johnleee is offline I'm new here!

I'd also like to feature some of the 'photos and descriptions of how you took them on the main DPS site (with a link back to your flickr account/photoblog to highlight more of your shots). So in submitting to this thread know that your shots and descriptions might be used in this way.