Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    juhat is offline Always something to learn

Default Endless Entertainment

We have swarms of hummingbirds from May through September and never get tired of watching them. It's the only time we buy sugar. When the feeder gets empty, they come to the window, or buzz our heads if we are sitting on the deck. Hopefully they will get used to the camera sitting out on the deck next year so I won't have to shoot through glass. (Often throughout the summer, there are 2 on each perch with several waiting all around)

I took this through our patio door window with my camera mounted on a tripod. I used a remote control switch. No flash, no filters, no adjustments.

Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
    #1) ISO 2000, Focal length 300mm, ƒ/ 5.6 1/2000
    #2) ISO 1600, Focal length 300mm, ƒ/ 5.6 1/1600
    Last edited by juhat; 11-28-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Add more info fix camera descr

picture_this is offline dPS Forum Member

Aren't they fun to watch? We have multiple feeders because they refuse to share like those in your photos. It's one customer at a time! Nice shots.
    Canon EOS 40D & some great glass

origionaldirk is offline I'm new here!

Cool! This is the main reason that I got my 70-300mm lens! Nice shots, keep it up.

kanuski is offline I'm new here!

Default shutter speed?

Nice shot. I tried a few with the flash this summer thinking that the flash would freeze the motion. Didn't work. The wings were basically invisible. I have tried other shots without the flash at 1/2000 sec with better results but not as clear as this.

Quote Originally Posted by kanuski View Post
    Nice shot. I tried a few with the flash this summer thinking that the flash would freeze the motion. Didn't work. The wings were basically invisible. I have tried other shots without the flash at 1/2000 sec with better results but not as clear as this.
    Thanks! I showed the exif data above at the end of my message. Someone told me years ago that 1/500 would freeze the motion of two goats butting heads. When I shoot "tubers" behind our ski boat, I use 1/2000 as well. So when I selected the shutter priority mode (TV) of 1/2000 I let the camera choose the aperture as well as ISO. I do not use flash. But definitely use a tripod. (Also the cable shutter release)
    Last edited by juhat; 11-07-2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: needed to add (additional info)

Swabb is offline I'm new here!

Those are really cool photos of hummingbirds. The ones I could look at all day!
    I can't wait until you post your shot of the motion of two goats butting heads frozen.

Thanks for the nice shots juhat

Quote Originally Posted by Swabb View Post
    Those are really cool photos of hummingbirds. The ones I could look at all day!
    I can't wait until you post your shot of the motion of two goats butting heads frozen.

Thanks for the nice shots juhat
    Hahaha - have to find the goats first. I never seem to be in the park when they are around.

You are welcome - I'm glad you enjoyed the hummingbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by origionaldirk View Post
    Cool! This is the main reason that I got my 70-300mm lens! Nice shots, keep it up.
    I'm glad you liked the shots and thank you for the encouragement. You know, I had a 70-300 on my old Canon EOS Elan. I could hand-hold it going lickety-split in the ski boat taking multiple shots of skiers and tubers. They'd turn out wonderful. I'm still having a problem hand-holding this lens and finding I need the tripod or monopod.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalia Nebhan View Post
    I wanted to thank you for this beautiful photo!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff on your post
    You are welcome. My photos tend to be a bit different at times. I don't worry too much about rules anymore since someone on this site told me not to. Good advise.
    I love photography and I'm really enjoying seeing what others are doing. Much to learn from
    very talented people. Bonus for me is that others enjoy my photos!
    I Shoot Raw
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

BillCopson is offline I'm new here!

Indeed fun to watch them.

I love such type of photos. I've a collection, but right now on my friend's PC otherwise I would have shared some here.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last