Close
Close
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
    AdaezeDuncan is offline I'm new here!

Wow this is such a good idea... I have been on and off with my photography. I don't know why I have been battling this inner struggle of lack of confidence in my abilities. My husband has been such a great supporter of me and brags about me to everyone. I don't believe him because I think he is just being nice lol. Anyhow, I have been lagging in this area for years to the point where my husband is practically silent about the whole matter. I feel like I have let him down and he was my biggest fan. Most importantly I am tired of always feeling afraid of rejection and I could use a new set of people skills. I could use a new perspective on people. THis project looks like may not help you overcome your fear in that you get rid of it but at least you will learn how to deal with your fear in a productive way. I think I am going to try this. I have been looking for a reason to jump in and a purpose and I think I have found it.

Question did you ever get any leads while doing the 100 stranger project...(did you get any jobs after passing out business cards)?...(did you pass out business cards).....

What did you do with those 100 stranger project cards that you got from moo?

Thanks

dhensley is offline I'm new here!

Default How you took it

I really like a lot of your photos, but I dont see specifics on exif info. Do you use the same camera/lens/etc for all your shots or is each different? I would really like to know what lens and camera settings you used on the photos. Also are these natural light or are you using flash/modifiers?

Thanks,

David

xtarsy is offline I'm new here!

Question did you ever get any leads while doing the 100 stranger project...(did you get any jobs after passing out business cards)?...(did you pass out business cards).....

What did you do with those 100 stranger project cards that you got from moo?
    I have received a few requests which I have declined. The moo cards I give out to the strangers I take photographs of.

I really like a lot of your photos, but I dont see specifics on exif info. Do you use the same camera/lens/etc for all your shots or is each different? I would really like to know what lens and camera settings you used on the photos. Also are these natural light or are you using flash/modifiers?
    Most of the pictures are made with a canon 50mm f1.8 lens a lot have been made with the 135mm f2 L canon lens and a few new ones with the 85mm f1.2 L The analog shots where shot with a nikon fm2n 50mm f1.4

most of the shots where done in natural light only on a few I used a reflector to enhance the light. A reflector is a great help for shooting portraits.

A few examples of my recent portrait for the project:

In town with style
    done with the 85mm f1.2 L shot at f2

patterns against the wall
    shot with the nikon fm2n 50mm f1.4

NaturalWoman is offline dPS Forum Member

started my 100 strangers yesterday. i really didn't have to ask. the guy commented on my camera and i said do you want your photo taken and he was ready. i gave him a card that directed him to my flickr account where his photo could be found and that was it. i did get his name and i know where he works. looking forward to my next stranger. i think it is best to get people at leisure and not when they have somewhere to go. a smile is always helpful too.
    Natural
    Happily shooting within my camera's limitations
    Website | Facebook Fan Page | Flickr | Twitter

camomiletea is offline New and having fun!

I'd like to do this. I'm very shy, but I see that a lot of people starting out with the project are nervous, and the doing of the project helps with confidence. The last time I went to Bellingrath Gardens, I saw a few workers there -- people blowing the leaves out, and people tending to the flowers, and I sort of wanted to take their picture, but I didn't ask. At the time I felt like, I'm learning how to make pictures of landscapes and flowers, and it's quite a lot for now. But maybe next time I'll gather up some courage and talk to them.

koen330 is offline dPS Forum Member

great project.

Even before reading about it, I took some pictures of complete strangers.

I'm introvert kind of guy, so I had to step completely out of my comfort zone to approach complete strangers.

I was surprised how easy it was, and how people like their picture to be taken.

I think I will sign up for this project.

chaosboi is offline I'm new here!

Love to do this with environmental portraits. Just like most people I need to get the courage.

koen330 is offline dPS Forum Member

I went out today (Houston), trying to shoot #1.

I was nervous, but found enough courage to approach some people.

After a couple of rejections I gave up.

Some thoughts:
    - Probable not at the right location. It was more like a business area. Probably people are more stressed and don't have that much time
    - English is not my native language, so maybe that scared them off
    - Maybe they felt I was nervous and didn't thrust it

I'll try again some other time and see how it goes

Koen

xtarsy is offline I'm new here!

hey koen,

kudos on gathering some courage in asking strangers for their portrait. It takes a lot of gut especially during the first pictures. I don't think the area makes a lot of difference, I believe the more people in that area the easier it is to take portraits of strangers. It is easier to take portrait of strangers in busier areas than areas that are more secluded.

Don't be put off by the rejections. I suggest to think about who you asked and how you asked and try maybe with some other types of people on your next photographing spree. I also woudn't worry about the language difficulties. At the moment I am taking portraits of strangers in China in a small city where they have no english knowledge at all. My chinese is also very limited.

My suggestions for your next try:
    - Chose subjects that aren't in a hurry. (These subjects tend to be easier to photograph at the beginning)
    - Smile a lot and be friendly.
    - Even though this may seem harder, approach small groups of people. (2-4) Ask one specific person in that group for their portrait. They will feel much more secure in a group, and are more likely going to accept being photographed.

Good luck on your next attempt.

Two strangers portrait I shot in China:

Untitled by xtarsy, on Flickr

IMG_5236-Edit by xtarsy, on Flickr

He sat there watching as people walked by by xtarsy, on Flickr

Inspector#12 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Great idea!!

I think I am going to try this but I am going to try 100 military strangers. I will wonder the bases in the area and see if I can get the 100. I love the idea and I look forward to getting it set up and started! Thank you very much for the idea.
    Fire Controlman First Class United States Navy
    Nikon D3200, Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, Nikkor 35mm 1.8
    Inspector #12 Photography
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspector12photo/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inspe...8511602835573#

Page 5 of 5 First ... 345