Close
Close
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    litenphrame is offline Beauty is in the eye....

Quote Originally Posted by xtarsy View Post
    @litenphrame: you shoudn't worry about it being a big town or not. Tell people about your project and tell them how it will help you develop your skills. Of course as the project progresses the amount of people that you can photograph will decrease depending on the size of the town. But it should be a good start in learning to be more confident when asking strangers for a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SereneReflections View Post
    I think it's a very interesting idea, and I might try it sometime, but I think what litenphrame is saying is that when you live in a town where 7 out of 10 people on the street know your dog by name and the other 3 at least know what it looks like, it's hard to find any strangers to begin with.
    Well, there you have it. Both of these are the true. I'm just going to have to get to a bigger city and take some time to shoot. I do have a couple of larger towns around but they are at least 50 miles away. It just requires a little more planning than living in (let's say) New York City. By the way, I'm not afraid of cold contacts. I have taken surveys door to door. Not a problem to ask for images, just need to do some planning and prepare a proper approach. So..., the explanation approach works to an extent, just need to consider the appearance of "hawking".
    Greg
    one can be a novice forever, if the only advice taken is from one's own voice.
    Online Flickr
    Canon T3
    EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 50mm f1.8 II

MyCameraGivesMeSanity is offline I'm new here!

Default Love Strangers, Love Talking, Love the Project

This is probably the coolest thing I have read in photography. Love all the portraits, just wish they all had a story to go with them. Like, Stranger 32-retired police chief who loves his wife and dreams of going to Spain. I don't know just something.

Going to find the project online.

Thanks again,
    r
    Rebeca

smordant is offline dPS Forum Member

Well I started the 100 Strangers project, just took my first stranger photo. It was nerve racking I only took one shot, but it was exhilarating afterwards.
    Mik, a limey in the USA.

500px.com

xtarsy is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by smordant View Post
    Well I started the 100 Strangers project, just took my first stranger photo. It was nerve racking I only took one shot, but it was exhilarating afterwards.

That is great. it would be nice if you could post the stranger shot that you took and write down how you got it. It doesn't matter if it is your best shot or not. It's always an extreme adrenaline rush to ask that first stranger.

@MyCameraGivesMeSanity: Most of my strangers have a story attributed to them. You can read the story in the flickr description. (click on the image to go to flickr)

sandeepkatwala is offline Sandeep Katwala

Really superb idea!!!

PeterBN is offline I'm new here!

Thanks for sharing!

I have been a member of the flickr-group for a couple of years now.

I still think its a great idea - but I still have to get my self started with the project :-)

smordant is offline dPS Forum Member

Mik, a limey in the USA.

500px.com

xtarsy is offline I'm new here!

@smordant: It's great to read the story behind your first stranger and thanks for posting it. You have to be careful though shooting strangers gets kind of addictive.

I just got my mini cards from moo for my 100 strangers project and thought i might share them.

100 strangers Moo Cards by xtarsy, on Flickr

kim-i is offline Rock n' Roll !

An excellent article, I was just wondering if you give them to sign a model release form after you take their photo?
    Also do you email them the photo you take as well, if they ask?

Cheers
    Sonia
    Last edited by kim-i; 06-28-2012 at 03:21 AM.

rusbel is offline I'm new here!

This is a great idea! Thanks for your sharing!
    I will definitely try it after I gain a bit more experience on taking portrait.
    I am still a newbie with my camera.
    Welcome to My Flickr
    Nikon D5100
    @1.8/35mm
    @18-55mm kit lens

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last