Close
Close
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Thread: Water Drops

lllKevin is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Water Drops

In my thread in SYS, someone asked me to make a tut about doing this. I had the time tonight, so I figured I might as well. For those of you that didn't see them in the other thread, here is an example.

Drops2 by GetKXd, on Flickr

Alright, on to how I did it. I found a piece of glass that was from 10x13 frame that I wasn't using. I cleaned it with Stoner Invisible Glass. It's my favorite glass cleaner, any other will work just fine. Next, I wiped the glass with Rain-X. Ok, glass is all set.
    For this example, I found an image that had some nice colors in it, printed it out, and put it on a nylon board I had. I set it up between 2 stools from my bar.
    Then I took a couple of boxes that my large bulbs came in(you'll see the bulb soon) and set them up so that the glass would sit on them, over the image.

IMGP8961 by GetKXd, on Flickr
    The lighting set up I used was pretty simple. I had a 85 watt light set up with a reflector umbrella behind and over the image, and my flash mounted on a tripod next to and behind me slightly.

IMGP8966 by GetKXd, on Flickr

IMGP8969 by GetKXd, on Flickr
    Then all I did was spray the glass and let it bead up.

I used my Pentax K-x and Sigma 28-80 macro at 80mm. Manual focus works MUCH better than auto because auto focus doesn't really like to focus on the image as much as it does on the drop itself. These were shot at F18-F22 at 125/160. That's pretty much it. It's really simple and, if you get creative with it, the results are pretty cool. If I left something out or anyone has any questions, let me know.

Here are some of the results I got tonight. They aren't as good as the first batch, but I wasn't really taking my time this go around. If anyone tries it, I'd be really interested in seeing your results.

IMGP8981 by GetKXd, on Flickr

IMGP8987 by GetKXd, on Flickr

IMGP8994 by GetKXd, on Flickr

iya64 is offline infected with shutterbug

Thanks so much for sharing, I was so curious how you got those shots. Really cool effect and a great idea!

Thanks. I appreciate it, and I hope I helped answer some questions.

Paperclick2 is offline I'm new here!

Thanks for Sharing, I'll try it this weekend.

Ped
    Ped is offline I'm new here!

The simplest things fly over my head BUT! For the water droplets? I am guessing that you have used a spray bottle? I am also rather taken with those lights, Are those just ordinary low energy bulbs? Oh and, nice effect by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Ped View Post
    The simplest things fly over my head BUT! For the water droplets? I am guessing that you have used a spray bottle? I am also rather taken with those lights, Are those just ordinary low energy bulbs? Oh and, nice effect by the way
    Yeah, I used a spray bottle. Make sure it's clean. The one I used this last time had something in it and it collected in the drops. As for the bulbs, I have these.
    Full Spectrum Light Lighting Bulb 85W Photography Photo CFL 6500K Daylight Balanced Pure White Light - Studio Bulbs - EQUIPMENT
    They are nice an white and fairly cheap. The company is nice to work with too. One of the bulbs I ordered was broken upon arrival, and they had no problem replacing it...and fast too.

Ped

Cheers for the info, I hadnt even considered bulbs before, might help with my flash problem (problem being, I dont have one). I just did a quick search and found some suppliers more local to me (UK). Thanks

If you need a decent flash at a decent price, the Yongnuo YN460-II is pretty nice. That's what I used on those pictures, and I just shot a wedding with it too. Works great. The only thing is that it's full manual. It doesn't have a TTL (Through The Lens) setting so there isn't any metering. I got mine for 45 bucks shipped and the remote trigger (Yongnuo CTR-301p) for $26. Nice pair and have turned out some pretty nice results. I'm happy with my purchase.

Ped

Aye, have had my eye on that for a while, so many things to buy & so few pennies to buy with. Afraid photo gear is way down the list of "things"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last