Close
Close
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    djb28 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default New lens, Old technique.

I just got my 24-70 L lens last week. I am so happy I forked out the cash. It provides exactly what my images have been missing. Pro look!
    I hardly used any photo shop in the post. I upped the vibrance by 10 percent and used the healing tool to rid of some unwanted water spots. That's it!

The set up was a fish tank. 10 gal. $12.00
    A piece of vinyl ( from my sign cutter ) for background color.
    A chopping board left with aluminum foil wrapped around it.
    Strobist left 2 feet above tank pointed down at angle. Lowest setting.
    Strobist front right side angled up to top of water. Lowest flash setting.

Camera settings. f/7 1/160 ISO 200

I had a good setup and the light was great. I probably took 50 total shots. The amount of keepers was an excellent ratio. I could never say that before with my stock lens. Never!

Here are a few favorites. Please tell me honestly what you think. I know there is always room for improvement.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by djb28; 01-31-2012 at 04:56 AM.
    Canon 7D
    [ canon nifty fifty - Tamron sp af 28-70mm 2.8 ] Sigma 3.5-4.5 35-135mm

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by djb28 View Post
    It provides exactly what my images have been missing. Pro look!
    No, it doesn't, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

splphotography is offline I'm new here!

Love the pictures. Great work!
    Camera: Canon 60D Lenses: Canon 28-70mm/2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8 Flash: Canon 430ex with Gary Fong Diffuser
    Flickr
    Facebook Fan Page

klr
    klr is offline Kaylahaha

Simply having an L series lens is never, ever going to give you a pro look.

What will give you a pro look is doing things right, taking your time, learning as much as you can and applying that and a ton of other things in the right way at the same time and not giving up after a year(s) of consistently failing.

That being said --nice job. I've always wanted to dable around in this kind of stuff. Just never had the time. Keep at 'er.

djb28 is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
    No, it doesn't, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
    A reason as to why they do not look good would have been great. And the lens does help. It provides great clarity and even color tone over my stock lens.
    Last edited by djb28; 02-02-2012 at 03:59 AM.
    Canon 7D
    [ canon nifty fifty - Tamron sp af 28-70mm 2.8 ] Sigma 3.5-4.5 35-135mm

Neils is offline I'm new here!

How arrogant of Osmosis Studios to make that comment and not back it up with reasons. How are people going to learn if those so called professionals won't help them. If you don't agree with some ones explanations of their photos please have the decency to tell them why.

Glayva is offline dPS +1000 Club

Hi

I think what you have done is excellent for a first attempt. If you go back in this site for about a week or so you will see my exact attempts at the same - "Strawberries and Cream". It is not easy and I had at least 50 shots that went into the dust bin. Yes, you can use additional gear such as "Stop Shot" etc and that will cut down the failure rate considerably - but it is not cheap. Getting the lighting right with water is also another problem and you seem to have done very well again.

I would be interested to know whether you set your focusing up with live view or manual through view finder?

Canon EOS1DS Mk2, EOS5d Mk2, 16-35mm L, 50mm F1.4, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 70-200mm F4,5 L IS USM
    You can now visit my new blog www.tonywoodsphotos.com

lowbone is offline dPS Forum Member

I thought this was one forum out of the many where is wasn't necessary to be cutting and nasty. Osmosis Studios should go hang around dpreview if he wants to make and receive a bunch of rude remarks.

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

A reason as to why they do not look good would have been great. And the lens does help. It provides great clarity and even color tone over my stock lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    How arrogant of Osmosis Studios to make that comment and not back it up with reasons. How are people going to learn if those so called professionals won't help them. If you don't agree with some ones explanations of their photos please have the decency to tell them why.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowbone View Post
    I thought this was one forum out of the many where is wasn't necessary to be cutting and nasty. Osmosis Studios should go hang around dpreview if he wants to make and receive a bunch of rude remarks.
    Did ANY of you read what I quoted? Here, let's try again:

It provides exactly what my images have been missing. Pro look!
    A lens does not provide a "PRO LOOK". There's no such thing. A lens may be sharper, or have better contrast, but it does NOT provide a "pro look". It helps in making technically nicer images, but it doesn't make you look like a pro.

You may now remove your feet from your mouths
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Frank Schmidt is offline Brushes Light on Subjects

You’re right, DJB.

It takes a good many shots to get a nice water dunk picture. If you get a better percentage with an L series lens then that’s saving you time and is worth it for you. I think you made some very valid points in your notes. You are to be commended for your efforts and experimentation.

There are many and various ways to shoot through glass and Glenn Rand has a book here:

Lighting and Photographing Transparent and Translucent Surfaces: A ... - Glenn Rand - Google Books that shows some of his examples.

I don’t see an action shot like yours in the book but he suggests lighting methods for glass that may be of interest.

Your efforts inspire others to try it…..so here’s a different version.. it’s not the close-up of yours and is not processed after the exposure except for cropping.

No “L series” lens used so don’t expect the same feel or quality as your shots. I used a slave flash from under the glass top table to light the pitcher from below and key light on the camera. This might be something different that you’d like to try. f/8, 1/250th, ISO 200, 50mm lens.

Keep up the great work.

FrankSchmidt | RedBubble
    ----------------
    -----------
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last