Close
Close
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Nakean is offline Nakean Photography

Default Great Subtle lighting!

Quote Originally Posted by scootermcq View Post
    Thank you

For sure, it is not doing much in this image. This set up works really well with a lady who has longer hair to flag the face. With him having short hair, any more light and it is falling on the darker side of the face ruining the transition from highlight to shadow. You can see it is providing a slight rim on the hip and shoulder.

I could have flagged it to prevent the light from hitting the face (or fixed it in post) and I probably should have, but being a fairly lazy man I just feathered it until it did not strike the face.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback
    I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for going though it in great detail! Really helps! I bet you still could have put just a tad on his side without ruining your transition, however, it sounds like you may have tried this to your liking already! It's all subjective tight Nice image and thanks for sharing! I've Do the grids really help contain the light wrapping all that much? Did you light one light at a time or set it all up and go for it?
    http://www.nakean.com
    http://www.nakean.com/blog
    http://NakeanRePhotos.com/
    Canon 7D, Canon 24-70mm 2.8L, Canon 10-22mm 3.5 EF-s, (2x)Canon 430exII, (2x)Nikon sb-28, 2(x)Interfit exd400, 64"PLM

scootermcq is offline Ad lucem

Quote Originally Posted by Nakean View Post
    I've Do the grids really help contain the light wrapping all that much? Did you light one light at a time or set it all up and go for it?
    The grids definitely help, but I should have flagged them with hair this short.

I use a meter, so I just set each light where I wanted them individually, and then took an overall reading to set the camera.

When I put the subject in, then the only adjustments I made were adjustment of angles, i.e. the kicker light striking the side of the face.

Thanks.
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by fashion master View Post
    before you touch the canvas (or whatever you work on)

small head-and-shoulders oil sketch or detailed drawing
    OK, you got me... Digital PHOTOGRAPHY School
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Jesse101 is offline dPS Forum Member

Great shot and thank you for the excellent detail of information!

Glayva is offline dPS +1000 Club

Superb Portrait very well done and wonderfully explained. Doesn't get better than this.

Canon EOS1DS Mk2, EOS5d Mk2, 16-35mm L, 50mm F1.4, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 70-200mm F4,5 L IS USM
    You can now visit my new blog www.tonywoodsphotos.com

brianxlt is offline Shoots from the hip.

Very nice Military style shot and excellent detail on the set up. Being prior Military myself a slight adjustment to the pose. Most of the time when taking a full/half body shot in uniform we were always directed to put our hands behind us in a parade rest fashion. This pushes out the chest and shoulders a bit and as explained to me (when I asked) presents a more professional military look.

Just a stickler for details -
    His left sleeve is pulled up and bunchy showing his watch, should have been pulled down and his paints look a little short in the last shot.
    I shoot for me - I shoot for fun.

BigMac65 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Nice

Nice shot.......and great your son is in such a wonderful program...judgeing by his badges he is invovled in many facets of it as well....
    Nikon D300, D600, SB 600, Tamron 17-50 F2.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR2 ,10-24 Nikkor, Nifty Fifty

Quote Originally Posted by Glayva View Post
    Superb Portrait very well done and wonderfully explained. Doesn't get better than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianxlt View Post
    Very nice Military style shot and excellent detail on the set up. Being prior Military myself a slight adjustment to the pose. Most of the time when taking a full/half body shot in uniform we were always directed to put our hands behind us in a parade rest fashion. This pushes out the chest and shoulders a bit and as explained to me (when I asked) presents a more professional military look.

Just a stickler for details -
    His left sleeve is pulled up and bunchy showing his watch, should have been pulled down and his paints look a little short in the last shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac65 View Post
    Nice shot.......and great your son is in such a wonderful program...judgeing by his badges he is invovled in many facets of it as well....
    Thanks folks
    Scott

coachmike is offline I'm new here!

I have to agree with everyone. Great portrait and thanks for sharing how you did it. I wish there were more "How I did it" like this.

Mike

ttaa is offline I'm new here!

nice lighting

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last