Close
Close
    ATB510 is offline I'm new here!

Default Photography v. nanoscience

CRANN in a droplet

This was a recent project of mine, submitted (but sadly unsuccessful) for an image competition in the nanoscience institute (CRANN) where I work. Thought I'd put it up here, as I'm particularly proud of it

Camera: Nikon D3100
    Lens: 18-55mm VR @ 55mm
    Shutter speed: 1/200
    Aperture: f/10
    ISO: 100

The inspiration came from the spectacular work by Martin Waugh.

I printed the logo of the institute out onto an A4 sheet, and hung it upside down on the wall behind (you can actually see the tape in the image). The water source was a separating funnel I found lying around in the lab - it has a small tap where I could control the flow of the water. Using a retort stand and clamps it was set up ~ 10" from the wall.

The main light source was a Nikon SB700, placed to the left of the water source, pointing at the inverted logo. It was triggered by the on camera flash of the D3100 (flash compensation set to -3). The strobe was set to 1/128th power after some test shots.

It took a lot (though I won't say how many) attempts to get shot you see here.

Post-processing included cropping, some playing with constrast/levels etc. in PS, and false colour overlay.

What would I do differently? Use a wireless triggering system, use a longer lens so cropping isn't necessary, and remove the tape from the sign.

All comments welcome!
    "The World is divided into armed camps ready to commit genocide just because we can't agree on whose fairy tales to believe." - Ed Krebs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atb510

kcoppock is offline Kevin Coppock

Wow, that's very clever! Really love the shot, and the color you used for the tinting is good, too. I imagine that had to be a frustrating shot to get, but worth it!
    Nikon D80 / 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6 / 55-200mm f/4-5.6 / 50mm f/1.8 / SB-400
    Flickr Photostream / Photosynth Panoramas / 500px Portfolio

ATB510 is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by kcoppock View Post
    Wow, that's very clever! Really love the shot, and the color you used for the tinting is good, too. I imagine that had to be a frustrating shot to get, but worth it!
    Thanks! Glad you like it. What are long weekends for if not spending hours trying to get the shot just perfect!
    "The World is divided into armed camps ready to commit genocide just because we can't agree on whose fairy tales to believe." - Ed Krebs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atb510

GaleBizet is offline I'm new here!

That is totally cool.
    Nice photo

kuul13 is offline "KlickzBySri"

razor sharp picture.. loved it!
    <3 Sri
    Love Nikon D80, 18-135mm & 70-300mm
    Sriz Klickz - A Photography Cafe <- Appreciate if you give me a LIKE on Facebook.
    KlickzBySri @ Flickr
    You cherish a place only when you are there, but photographs are cherished life long.

yulchick is offline dPS +1000 Club

awesome shot!

Rhinovn is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by ATB510 View Post
    CRANN in a droplet

This was a recent project of mine, submitted (but sadly unsuccessful) for an image competition in the nanoscience institute (CRANN) where I work. Thought I'd put it up here, as I'm particularly proud of it

Camera: Nikon D3100
    Lens: 18-55mm VR @ 55mm
    Shutter speed: 1/200
    Aperture: f/10
    ISO: 100

The inspiration came from the spectacular work by Martin Waugh.

I printed the logo of the institute out onto an A4 sheet, and hung it upside down on the wall behind (you can actually see the tape in the image). The water source was a separating funnel I found lying around in the lab - it has a small tap where I could control the flow of the water. Using a retort stand and clamps it was set up ~ 10" from the wall.

The main light source was a Nikon SB700, placed to the left of the water source, pointing at the inverted logo. It was triggered by the on camera flash of the D3100 (flash compensation set to -3). The strobe was set to 1/128th power after some test shots.

It took a lot (though I won't say how many) attempts to get shot you see here.

Post-processing included cropping, some playing with constrast/levels etc. in PS, and false colour overlay.

What would I do differently? Use a wireless triggering system, use a longer lens so cropping isn't necessary, and remove the tape from the sign.

All comments welcome!
    Great shot! Congratulation!

LotusX is offline I'm new here!

Wow, what a very clever shot... thanks for sharing the secret on how it was done. You have every right to be proud of it.

Aileen

mathgeek is offline Impulsivity is a virtue!

I agree... you have every right to be proud of that! I may try to replicate the method, but I doubt I'll come even close to being half as good. Well Done!
    Nikon D5000, 18-250mm Sigma, 50mm f/1.8 Nikon
    If you can't be kind, have the decency to be vague.

Chatwin is offline I'm new here!

Hi...,
    How are You? Thanks for sharing this information. I have Nikon D30 DSLR camera. I am trying to experiment with it now. I am looking for links where I can learn Photography concepts like: Shutter Speed, ISO settings etc.