Close
Close
Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Simple Smoke Photography Tutorial (No extra gear)

susheema is offline I'm new here!

How do you get the different smoke colors? I'm totally new to this, but it looks cool.

PowerPix is offline Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by susheema View Post
    How do you get the different smoke colors? I'm totally new to this, but it looks cool.
    The color is added during processing. Simply use a color gradient overlay.
    Canon 50D: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM , Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Photoshop CS5

Paleo is offline I'm new here!

This was harder than you made it look! I applaud your skill. I had to do a bit of post processing to get anywhere close to yours.

Paparazzi1979 is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by susheema View Post
    I'd like to know the answer too that too..
    "If you have to shoot,shoot,dont talk"
    -Eli Wallach(Tuco) ,The Good,the Bad and the Ugly.

mad editor is offline dPS +1000 Club

Looks like fun. Coincidentally I am going to a store that sells incense tomorrow. yay!
    Pentax K7, K 2000 with lots of lenses - old and new; Slik Pro 340 EZ tripod with an old Slik single action panhead; two Vivitar 285HV Zoom flashes; wireless remote and cable release. Wireless triggers, constant lighting and shoot through umbrellas and stands.
    www.patriciahorwell.com

susheema is offline I'm new here!

Thanks. Can't wait to give it a try.

faeriegodess612 is offline Artful Non-Conformist

OK, I tried this and got it figured out, except for one last lil thing. I cant get my gradient to blend smoothly to the next color,....it shows this line precisely where it switches color, and I tried everything I can think of to smooth it out. Even made a custom gradient with not as many colors and it still did it,... I tried looking in the Gimp manual and nothin. Can anyone tell me please how to get the colors to fade smoothly into the next? If it would help I can post an example of what I mean.
    Gear: Nikon D3100; 18-55mm kit lens; Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2; tripod.
    Flickr ~ Facebook

Open mindedness means accepting people for who they are, whether their opinions and beliefs are the same as yours or not. ~ Me

CyberManiaK is offline I'm new here!

Playing with smoke really makes some intresting stuff.

Here are some i made a long time ago..

But what really make it alot more intresting is: make a mirror image and you can get something like this.

PowerPix is offline Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by faeriegodess612 View Post
    OK, I tried this and got it figured out, except for one last lil thing. I cant get my gradient to blend smoothly to the next color,....it shows this line precisely where it switches color, and I tried everything I can think of to smooth it out. Even made a custom gradient with not as many colors and it still did it,... I tried looking in the Gimp manual and nothin. Can anyone tell me please how to get the colors to fade smoothly into the next? If it would help I can post an example of what I mean.
    I found that using the "radial" gradient method worked best. "Linear" tended to give the more distinct line.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberManiaK View Post
    Playing with smoke really makes some intresting stuff.

Yeah.........we won't go there ^......
    Canon 50D: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM , Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Photoshop CS5

faeriegodess612 is offline Artful Non-Conformist

Ah ha! I got it figured out now,....thanks,...I think I'm going to try this again,...but with something that gives off thicker smoke than the incense I have. Maybe some candles,,.. I have plenty of those! I think I might use my husbands point and shoot next time though,....his is newer and I think it has a better quality lens than mine.
    Gear: Nikon D3100; 18-55mm kit lens; Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2; tripod.
    Flickr ~ Facebook

Open mindedness means accepting people for who they are, whether their opinions and beliefs are the same as yours or not. ~ Me

Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last