Close
Close
    filemanager is offline dPS Forum Member

Question 1-Year-Old Cake Smash

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... it's not so much a "How I took it" post as a "How would you take it?" post.

I want to do a cake-smash shoot with my son in a couple months when he turns 1. My question is the background.

Is it better to use fabric (washable), or paper? Should I use glass for the baby to sit on to a) create a reflection and b) to stop baby from playing with the background

What do you guys think?
    Gear: Nikon D80, Nikon D300s, Sony Cybershot W7, Canon G12 | Nikkor 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 AF, Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF, 50mm f1.8 MF, Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF VR, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 AF, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF, Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | SB-600 Speedlight

Online Galleries: Website | Facebook | Picasa

sarahgirl777 is offline dPS Forum Member

Here is one I did,

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/...6c721477cb.jpg

I used black seamless paper, if it gets too messy you can just cut it off and toss it. However I do plan on purchasing some plexi-glass in the near future to use on the floor cause of baby messes and peoples footprints, this way it will last longer.

I kept shooting as she ate the cake, we had to set her back a few times when she tried to crawl away (she wasn't walking yet). Then I just used photoshop to make them into a 3 part picture.

Good luck to you!
    Nikon D700, Nikon D200, 50mm f1.8, 28-80mm, 28-75mm f2.8, 70-300mm 5 speedlights, some stands, umbrellas etc.
    My flickr
    My Website

filemanager is offline dPS Forum Member

Ooohh!!.. oh man now I have a whole new set of decisions... what color background? What type of cake? Vanilla? ahhh!

Originally I was thinking a white background... or maybe blue? I already have a black one... ahh!
    Gear: Nikon D80, Nikon D300s, Sony Cybershot W7, Canon G12 | Nikkor 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 AF, Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF, 50mm f1.8 MF, Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF VR, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 AF, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF, Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | SB-600 Speedlight

Online Galleries: Website | Facebook | Picasa

~AJ~ is offline dPS Forum Member

When I did my sons, I just used a pale blue, queen sized flat flanelette sheet. Figured I could always just soak it in nappy san afterwards LOL!

Looked really good, as he also wore a dark blue Modern Cloth Nappy (MCN).

I know of other girls that have done it & used a fleece type of fabric with plexi glass for the baby to sit on & it looks great! Others have used the seamless paper with plexi glass too.