Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Darren Rowse is offline Administrator

Default The 'Rules' for this 'How I Took It' Forum

This is a section of our forums where members share with the rest of us HOW they took shots. While Assignments are a place for us to do homework around a theme and our Critique section is for members wanting suggestions on how they can improve - this section is for those of you who want to teach the rest of us by showing how you work.

Your shots don't have to be perfect and you don't have to be an expert or pro photographer - but do keep in mind that this is a place for your best shots that can help others learn.

Here's how to participate:

For image posters

1. Start a new thread for each photo
    2. Post 1 image only per thread
    3. Feel free to include a link back to your Flickr/Zoomr account and/or your photoblog if you have one
    4. Each thread needs to include an image and a description of how you took it. You might like to use the following questions as headings (feel free to use others also or do it in your own style):

• Where Was it Taken?
    • What settings did you use?
    • What gear (camera, lens etc) did you use?
    • Why did you compose the shot as you did?
    • What post production work have you done on the shot (if any)?
    • What were you hoping to achieve with the shot?
    • What did you do well?
    • How could you have improved it?

For others

If you'd like to respond to the submission you might like to:

1. Give feedback/encouragement
    2. As a question or get more information
    3. Make suggestions (while the critique is more focussed on this I'm sure those submitting images won't mind if your feedback is constructive and helpful)

If you'd like examples of how this works you might like to take a look at our old Flickr group which had a thread like this.

Please Note:
    I'd also like to feature some of the 'photos and descriptions of how you took them on the main DPS site (with a link back to your flickr account/photoblog to highlight more of your shots). So in submitting to this thread know that your shots and descriptions might be used in this way.

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

If thinking about posting here, have a think about whether it belongs. If the image you are sharing is significantly post processed, then the Post Processing and Printing section might be better. If you still have the original, it might be even more instructive to use both pictures for a new thread in Before and After, unpacking the steps you took to get from A to B.

However, if most of the work to get your result was done at the stages of preparation (coming up with an idea, gathering props, scouting out a location) and capturing the image (positioning the camera and making decisions about settings, focus and when to press the button) then tell us all about it here.

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Since we moved the forums round a bit, here are two more clarifications:

If you want detailed critique of the results of your photography, please choose the appropriate sub-forum in the critique section.

If you just want to post a shot without going into the details Darren gives above, then use the Share Your Shots section instead.

Thanks,

Wulf
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

fotografo is offline I'm new here!

A great attempt, just with d mobile. Really nice!!

mdbred is offline I'm new here!

help....I was reading a post on "how I took it"- it was regarding a west coast fishing pier sunset / silhouette, and I can not find it again (yes i should have bookmarked it, but didn't). I was wondering if you might be able to give me the link. Hoping you know which one I'm speaking of. It was within the last couple of days.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by mdbred; 07-12-2012 at 10:14 PM.

deepakmishra is offline I'm new here!

Default How to delete a post

Hi Admin,

How to delete a post posted by me?

Quote Originally Posted by deepakmishra View Post
    Hi Admin,

How to delete a post posted by me?
    You can certainly edit it (look for a button at the bottom of any post you have made when you are logged in). That will let you remove content from the post and may give the option to delete it (I can't tell for sure - my account has a little more power and I am not sure what is standard).

You could also report your own post (look for the report button) to request its deletion if you can't do this yourself. However, please be very sparing about this. If you have started a conversation it stops being just about your right to withdraw content because other people have also invested time in the thread. It is best to think carefully before you post rather than splurging and then trying to retract things.

Wulf

pavlovstudios is offline Igor Pavlov

Hi. I'm new here. Just want to make sure I can reply to posts. Thanks

mstuanlong is offline I'm new here!

A great attempt, just with d mobile. Really nice!!

SkipperDan is offline I'm new here!

When I started making photographs in the 1950's I slavishly tried to use the camera settings, etc. used by the pro's.
    I came to realise that those settings only applied to that situation, time, lighting etc, and were of no use to me whatsoever.
    Therefore, I am somewhat surprised that this type of information (What settings did you use? What gear (camera, lens etc) did you use?) is still being required. If I am missing the point I acknowledge that I am still young enough to learn.
    Regards, SkipperDan

Page 1 of 2 12 Last