Close
Close
    bethard728 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Can't upload Raw images??

I tried putting my memory stick in a card reader and uploading images and it only uploaded 10 out of 63. I tried again by plugging the camera directly into the computer and they all uploaded. However, I cannot see any that were in Raw format. Apparently I don't have the right software to open them? I thought I had shot in raw before but I guess not. Obviously, I really don't know what I'm doing with this camera yet. I have a Nikon D60 if that makes a difference. So, how do I open these photos so I can see and edit them on my computer? Do I need to download something? If so, what? Thanks so much!
    -Rachel
    “Sometimes I do get to places just when God’s ready to have somebody click the shutter.” – Ansel Adams

Woody is offline Loves the Sharkies

Default Format SD card

Quote Originally Posted by bethard728 View Post
    I tried putting my memory stick in a card reader and uploading images and it only uploaded 10 out of 63. I tried again by plugging the camera directly into the computer and they all uploaded. However, I cannot see any that were in Raw format. Apparently I don't have the right software to open them? I thought I had shot in raw before but I guess not. Obviously, I really don't know what I'm doing with this camera yet. I have a Nikon D60 if that makes a difference. So, how do I open these photos so I can see and edit them on my computer? Do I need to download something? If so, what? Thanks so much!
    Hello Beth,

I've had a simuilar problem with downloading images to my computer. The computer just doesn't recognise some types of images or none at all.The problem was fixed when I formatted my SD card in the camera.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

From Sydney Australia.

Canon 7D, Canon EOS 450D, Canon EF 100-300 f5.6, Canon EF 50 f1.4; Canon Speedlite 430 EX11, Fuji FinePix F40 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC and Mamiya ZE-2 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Macro and a brand new Canon EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM; EF 70-200 f2.8L USM; Canon EF 24-70 2.8L.

Doug Pardee is offline Not photogenic

Raw files are not "images". They're files containing the data captured from the sensor.

Raw files need to be analyzed by a program sometimes called a "Raw converter" or "Raw developer" or "Raw processing program". That program uses its knowledge of the particular sensor type used in your camera, along with various conversion techniques and the settings that you've selected in the program, to produce an image from the data. Typically you'll save the image as a JPEG, although some people save the image as TIFF.

On most cameras, a Raw file also contains a low-resolution "preview" JPEG file that software could use to provide thumbnail images and such. Some software programs know how to find the preview JPEG, some don't.

Free is offline dPS Forum Member

G'day,

Try installing the software that came with your camera. I have a D60 and it came with a disk in the box.

In saying that I haven't actually installed any of it as I already have Adobe CS 3 and got Adobe Lightroom shortly after getting the camera.

I'm recommending Lightroom to all my mates with decent cameras and everyone thats tried it loves it, it might be a bit more than you want to pay at the start though, it's around the $300 mark.

Hope that helps
    Free
    NIKON D60 | LOTS OF BITS & PIECES

SWITCHING FROM PHOTOSHOP TO THE GIMP (LINUX) - FEEL FREE TO SHARE ANY TIPS OR TRICKS

MY WEBSITE DESIGN PORTFOLIO | MY FLICKR

Digidave is offline Class Clown

First we need to know what operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, etc...). What software did you try uploading the pictures with? I would recommend Nikon Transfer & then use Nikon View to sort & view the RAW files. You can find the latest version of each HERE.

If you need more assistance we'll be here.
    MY GEAR

Flickriver

I turned out to be the only hell my Momma ever raised.

mainak_ch is offline dPS Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bethard728 View Post
    I tried putting my memory stick in a card reader and uploading images and it only uploaded 10 out of 63. I tried again by plugging the camera directly into the computer and they all uploaded.
    Is your memory card reader an old one, and the card itself a new one - in that case it may be possible that the reader will have difficulty reading the files from a large capacity card. I had the same problem, my reader takes hours to download the photographs, and hangs the explorer in between, but the same card do not have a problem when inserted in the laptop card slot, or the camera connected directly to the PC. I then bought a new card reader, and it works fine now.
    Mainak
    Canon EOS 450D, Powershot A590 IS
    EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 f/1.8

Picasa