Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Wjgreenall is offline Enthusiastic amateur

Default Monitor Calibration: Colormunki Smile vs. Spyder4 Express

I recently got my first batch of prints back from the lab and am disappointed to put it mildly. I have tried to calibrate my monitors using the Windows 7 utility and Calibrize but this has obviously not worked satisfactorily.

I therefore intend to bite the bullet and buy a hardware based calibration system of which the two products above seem to be the best option for the amateur. I would be grateful for advice or comments from anyone who has used either of these systems.

Was it straightforward to install and use?
    How accurate were your prints afterwards?
    Would you buy the same product again?

My system is Windows 7 64bit

Thanks.

Mso
    Mso is offline dPS +1000 Club

I have Spyder3Pro and it is totally accurate. My Dell monitor on my laptop goes from very blue tones to proper ones and what I see on my monitor is what I get in my prints. I do print on my own printer a Canon and do it through photoshop making photoshop control the colours not the printer. Hope this helps.

Rentham is offline Everything is permissible

I also have the Spyder3Pro and there is no discernible difference (to my eye) between my screen and prints from reputable labs.

paiges is online now rockstar

Weird, I was just talking about this. I'd love to know how this works on a mac...
    Paige

"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." ~Roald Dahl

My flickr

Biomech is offline World Commended

Spyder3pro here too
    Prints often come out different (usually darker) but I believe this is due to the lab :P
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

I started with a Spyder2, upgraded to a Spyder3 (and saw minimal improvement), and then switched software to coloreyes display pro and I'm very happy with that combo. They sell their software bundled w/ the Spyder4 for <$350... I would suggest that as a great option.

And yes, it works on a mac or windows, you just have to get the right software version.

ArmySoldier777 is offline dPS +1000 Club

+1 for the Spyder3. You can find them on eBay for less than half the normal cost. I ended up with an elite for $80, brand new . And spyder offers a software upgrade to their latest version for free if you bought their spyder3 product after a certain date. So I'm using the Spyder3Elite with the latest 4 software.

The biggest thing I hear about noticing after monitor calibration is that the monitor appears warmer than normal. I think I've gotten used to mine now, but it was definitely a little weird to see at first.
    David
    Equipment
    Camera: Canon 6D | Lens: Canon 24-105 F/4L , 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8, Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Flashes : 430EX II, YN-560 II x 3 | Tripod: Manfrotto 055XProB / 498RC2 Ballhead
    Portfolio, Flickr

redartsjr is offline JustMe

Quote Originally Posted by Mso View Post
    I have Spyder3Pro and it is totally accurate. My Dell monitor on my laptop goes from very blue tones to proper ones and what I see on my monitor is what I get in my prints. I do print on my own printer a Canon and do it through photoshop making photoshop control the colours not the printer. Hope this helps.
    Mine does the same thing. I found if I tap on the ferrite bead it goes back to normal colors.
    Rick

SwissJon is offline Enjoys shooting people.

I got a Spyder3 Express, but recently upgraded to a Spyder 4 Pro because it has the ambient light sensor (All my prints were too dark because my monitor was to bright) It's helped a lot.
    Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
    A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
    Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

mshockley is offline Take A Shot

Quote Originally Posted by SwissJon View Post
    I got a Spyder3 Express, but recently upgraded to a Spyder 4 Pro because it has the ambient light sensor (All my prints were too dark because my monitor was to bright) It's helped a lot.
    THIS^

I have been very happy with Spyder4Pro. Prints from my lab are extremely accurate to what I see on screen in both color and brightness.

Trained monkey can install this software and follow the instructions to calibrate. It is very simple. Keeps track of your calibration, pops up a window letting you know it's time to recalibrate. I am also running windows 7 64bit OS.

I have it calibrate my large monitor I edit from, my large viewing monitor client's view proofs on, and also my laptop so everything stays kosher!

I'm not sure what Jon would say, but with Spyder4 and the ability to measure the ambient light I do try to keep the conditions when editing my files as close to the same brightness as possible as when I calibrate the monitors.. I would think it would be a bad idea to be all over the map with brightness levels of your room.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last