Close
Close
Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last
    Jwellman is offline I'm new here!

I personally like it. When I visit someone's fan page, I want to be able to click through all of their pictures without having to keep going back to the albums, figure out which one I've already looked at, open up the next one, view the pictures, repeat. Its a pain.... I want to be able to click ONE picture and just keep clicking "next" to view ALL of their photos. That was something I loved about MySpace (haha) and it tells you in the bottom corner which album it came from so as long as you are properly labeling your things (and utilizing the caption!) then people won't get confused. As for the thumbnails, oh well. the only website that the thumbnails really matters on is your own. Everyone who uses Facebook knows that their thumbnails will crop things weird, it doesn't change their opinion of your work at all, they'll click to open the picture, see the original orientation and forget about the thumbnails.

People get way too worked up over facebook changes.... I can't tell you how thrilled I was when I saw this change! First one I've actually LIKED!

SwissJon is offline Enjoys shooting people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwellman View Post
    People get way too worked up over facebook changes.... I can't tell you how thrilled I was when I saw this change! First one I've actually LIKED!
    I'm guessing you aren't trying to earn a living through your Facebook online presence??

I take photos for our Circus school, this new mess jumbles all their photos together, so the photos from albums that are 2 years old get mixed with stuff that was taken last week, which leads to awkward questions when people don't bother to check the dates the photos were taken..

It's a complete mess for peolpe using Facebook pages commercially.
    Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
    A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
    Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

digirebelva is offline Wondering Where I Am

maybe Im off my rocker, but I dont see Facebook being the social media leader in another 5 years...someone is (or should be..) going to look at all the gaffes Facebook is making and come up with something that works much better without all of the "Forced" changes...
    Camera Stuff....nuff said

Flickr | Fine Art America | T.A. Wilson Photography

Quote Originally Posted by SwissJon View Post
    I'm guessing you aren't trying to earn a living through your Facebook online presence??

I take photos for our Circus school, this new mess jumbles all their photos together, so the photos from albums that are 2 years old get mixed with stuff that was taken last week, which leads to awkward questions when people don't bother to check the dates the photos were taken..

It's a complete mess for peolpe using Facebook pages commercially.
    ...everyone on this thread seems to be in crisis-mode over this change, predicting doom for FB for doing it, heralding that the end if nigh...

...how many of FB's users are commercial users, and how many of them are directly affected the way we are?

As of September 2011, FB had over 750 million users. It's now a year later.

SwissJon is offline Enjoys shooting people.

Quote Originally Posted by Niresangwa View Post
    ...everyone on this thread seems to be in crisis-mode over this change, predicting doom for FB for doing it, heralding that the end if nigh...

...how many of FB's users are commercial users, and how many of them are directly affected the way we are?

As of September 2011, FB had over 750 million users. It's now a year later.
    Yeah, and last year 1st Oct FB stock was selling at $38 each, and now, a year later, after many changes.. They're selling at $22... Says a lot...

I'm not suggesting that every change FB has made is a disaster, just that sooo many of them over such a short period gets on peoples nerves. People vote with their feet.. It only takes a few to start a mass stampede.. What the majority of people want, whether they're effected by this change or not, is stability for an extended period of time. All these constant changes are just making people twitchy and ratty because it means people have to constantly update their profiles.

I've no idea how many are commercial users.. A significant proportion I would think, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in FB offering the option to have a commercial page.. So unless you have some more accurate figures, let's have a random guess at 10%.. 75 million users.
    Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
    A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
    Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

Yeah, and last year 1st Oct FB stock was selling at $38 each, and now, a year later, after many changes.. They're selling at $22... Says a lot...
    All it says is that FB was overvalued at it's IPO. It says nothing about FB's functionality at all. The biggest issue for FB in the minds of investors is whether they can get around the the migration of users to a mobile platform which has impacted FB's revenue generation.

I'm not suggesting that every change FB has made is a disaster, just that sooo many of them over such a short period gets on peoples nerves. People vote with their feet.. It only takes a few to start a mass stampede.. What the majority of people want, whether they're effected by this change or not, is stability for an extended period of time. All these constant changes are just making people twitchy and ratty because it means people have to constantly update their profiles.
    Historically however this has been shown to be untrue. Every time they roll out a change, everyone is in uproar for 24 hours, then they get used to it and nothing changes. Everyone heralded the doom of FB when G+ launched, and still it remains untouched. People have too much invested in essentially what is a very functional platform, and overcoming that inertia seems at this time an unassailable feat.

I've no idea how many are commercial users.. A significant proportion I would think, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in FB offering the option to have a commercial page.. So unless you have some more accurate figures, let's have a random guess at 10%.. 75 million users.
    Well, this is about the best I can find in the couple of minutes I was willing to exercise my google-fu this morning.

It revises the user number from the 2011 figure of 750M i cited above to 901M monthly users.

It suggests about 4 million business pages. I'd suggest that only a tiny fraction of those are photographers, and many of those,like me, do not use FB as the major source for image display.

So I'll stand by my suggestion that this impacts a statistically insignificant portion of users, with a relatively minor shift in usability.

digirebelva is offline Wondering Where I Am

And just because youre the market leader today doesnt mean you will have that distinction in the future...if you continually piss off your customer base and generally do what "You" want (i.e. GM, IBM, Myspace...etc...) and I have said it for a little while, even before this last round of changes...they are so desperately trying to figure out how to monetize all the data they have collected on everyone...
    Camera Stuff....nuff said

Flickr | Fine Art America | T.A. Wilson Photography

BigFuzzy is offline Cookie Eating Moderator
    Under a bridge, somewhere in northern Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Niresangwa View Post
    All it says is that FB was overvalued at it's IPO

People have too much invested in essentially what is a very functional platform, and overcoming that inertia seems at this time an unassailable feat.

So I'll stand by my suggestion that this impacts a statistically insignificant portion of users, with a relatively minor shift in usability.
    This. It seems every couple of months I hear moaning and bitching about changes and what FB is doing with your data.. and oddly, I've not had a single friend actually leave FB.

Quote Originally Posted by digirebelva View Post
    And just because you're the market leader today doesnt mean you will have that distinction in the future...if you continually piss off your customer base and generally do what "You" want (i.e. GM, IBM, Myspace...etc...) and I have said it for a little while, even before this last round of changes...they are so desperately trying to figure out how to monetize all the data they have collected on everyone...
    Don't you mean "continually piss of a portion of your client base".. can you actually speak for the whole user base? I'm not pissed. I've been hearing this exact argument for years.

In the end FB will die when and only when a product comes out that is sufficiently better to incentivize the current user base to feel it's worth all they've invested in FB to move on. As with everything in the world.

As for your last line... who isn't? Tell me of one company heavily invested in social media that ISN'T doing this? How is this new and/or sinister? This is a known. If you DON'T know this is the key of ALL social media, then you probably shouldn't be on the web I'd say.
    Not targeting you specifically digirebelva, just anyone who gets all alarmist on the issue of what FB/Google/everyone is doing with your harvested data. It's the way of the web, accept it or simply stop inputting data into the interwebz.. .

Quote Originally Posted by digirebelva View Post
    And just because youre the market leader today doesnt mean you will have that distinction in the future...if you continually piss off your customer base and generally do what "You" want (i.e. GM, IBM, Myspace...etc...) and I have said it for a little while, even before this last round of changes...they are so desperately trying to figure out how to monetize all the data they have collected on everyone...
    Which is kind of my point... I don't think that these changes are pissing anyone off in such a substantive way to damage themselves. If massive, impactful changes such as Timeline don't hurt them, why would minor tweaks to photo presentation?

The same challenges FB has to contend with in increasing revenue, are the same challenges the other major internet companies face in trying to encroach on FB's turf.

If you want to search, you go to Google. If you want to purchase, you go to Amazon. If you want to socialize, you go to Facebook.

They've each tried, so far unsuccessfully, to horn in on the specialization of the others. Right now, companies like Amazon 'own' the merchandise, but FB 'owns' the consumers.

My money is (literally) on FB. Or it will be when my big buying order triggers if FB drops to $19.50. Their gift-giving plan has enough speculative appeal for me right now.

BigFuzzy is offline Cookie Eating Moderator
    Under a bridge, somewhere in northern Europe.

Gotta say, I'm interested in seeing where the new MySpace goes. Seems they want to tackle the "artist" angle of social media, ie musicians, photogs, artists, writers, etc..

Maybe even they've seen they can't take on FB, but have seen a niche they can exploit..

Keeping my eyes open.

Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last