Close
Close
    JackDeth is offline Geek-Photog-Linux Fanboy

Default Beloved Sessions

I have been reading more and more online about these new kinds of photographic sessions referred to as "Beloved".

There are plenty of basic, general descriptions as to what they are and what the goal of the session is. But, I cannot find ANY information as to how to conduct one, or what questions would be asked during one.

My best friend and his wife have asked me to take their pictures in the next few months and this sounds like it would be perfect. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing one of these?
    T. Schulz - www.padp.com
    Canon Rebel XSi
    75-300mm EF 4-5.6 III, 18-55mm EFS Kit Lens
    Editing usually done using Corel Photopaint (in Corel Graphics Suite)
    Additional editing done using The GIMP or Corel Paintshop Photo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JackDeth View Post
    I have been reading more and more online about these new kinds of photographic sessions referred to as "Beloved".

There are plenty of basic, general descriptions as to what they are and what the goal of the session is. But, I cannot find ANY information as to how to conduct one, or what questions would be asked during one.

My best friend and his wife have asked me to take their pictures in the next few months and this sounds like it would be perfect. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing one of these?
    There is no methodology, because it's not a method per se. Just some stupid, sickly sweet name that is doing the rounds because folks think it sounds fluffy and cute.

It's just a couple's portrait session, heavy on candid non-posed shots, which if you want genuine shots you should be doing anyway...

supposedly the couple bonds all over again with each other as you shoot it. Just like they're supposed to do in any other documentary portrait session like an engagement shoot, a wedding portrait session blah blah snore...

just put this one down to PBS (photographer blog syndrome).

MindyRaeL is offline dPS Forum Member

Here's the link to the official website. There isn't a lot of "how-to" info out there because they want you to purchase the (over-priced) field guides. The basic idea behind it is to pose the couple, and then asked pointed questions about their relationship to bring out the emotion. Part photography/ part psychology.

I agree with Steve, though. It's being positioned as this brand new concept and a unique type of session, but it really isn't. It's just a lot of hype and clever marketing. There's no need for the field guide. Just think up some questions that are based around their relationship and find ways to get them to thinking about each other and snap away.
    Nikon D7100, Nikon D7000, 50mm f/1.4, 28-75mm f/2.8, 90mm f/2.8 macro, 80-200mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8 (2) SB600
    My Website
    My 500px
    Facebook

Roshenk is online now "f/2.8 and be there"

Stay tuned for the hot new photography fad of 2013..."Despised Sessions"!

Book your Despised Session today, in which your formerly significant other is kidnapped, tied to a chair and photographed while you ask pointed questions about your previous relationship and/or hurl abuse. Don't miss this chance to provide a valuable keepsake for your children in years/lawsuits to come.

Copyright: Jerry Springer Photography, all rights reserved.
    I shoot Canon and carry Think Tank.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,
    Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye, Samyang 85mm & 35mm f/1.4 MF

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

Quote Originally Posted by Roshenk View Post
    Book your Despised Session today, in which your formerly significant other is kidnapped, tied to a chair and photographed while you ask pointed questions about your previous relationship and/or hurl abuse. Don't miss this chance to provide a valuable keepsake for your children in years/lawsuits to come.
    The person who uses this excellent parody for a shoot will become a legend for a weekend in the wedding photography industry (like the divorce trash the dress and the zombie engagement). Brilliant idea...

NgaiHill is online now Far Too Snap Happy

Beloved is an emerging photographic genre centered on the creation of meaning-rich portraits that express the individual, beautiful personality each person is born with, creating an opportunity to celebrate the relationships that fill our lives with joy and purpose.

Ugh! I think I just got sugar-overload, I'm off to throw up now.
    LISA
    Canon EOS 600D, 50mm, 18-55mm & 55-250 mm kit lens for the flash stuff.
    Olympus Tough 8010, waterproof, shockproof compact P&S - great for the kids.

Flickr

litenphrame is offline Beauty is in the eye....

Quote Originally Posted by NgaiHill View Post
    Beloved is an emerging photographic genre centered on the creation of meaning-rich portraits that express the individual, beautiful personality each person is born with, creating an opportunity to celebrate the relationships that fill our lives with joy and purpose.
    This sounds like a late night infomercial. I'm just waiting for the "For only $19.95, we will not only give you one, not two, blah, blah, blah......"
    Greg
    one can be a novice forever, if the only advice taken is from one's own voice.
    Online Flickr
    Canon T3
    EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM, EF 50mm f1.8 II