Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    jasonA is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Silent shutter ?

Im waiting for 5dmk3 to arrive.

Has it got silent shutter ?

Means, absolutely no sound for clicking pictures ?

I would love it. Let me know.
    5D Mark II and 5D Mark III and few lenses to get it right!

Roshenk is offline "f/2.8 and be there"

The sound of the shutter on a DSLR is mechanical, not digital...it can't be silenced using normal means (that is without a special case called a blimp).

On Point and Shoot cameras the shutter sound is just an added sound effect, but on a DSLR it is the sound of the mirror flipping.
    I shoot Canon and carry Think Tank.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,
    Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye, Samyang 85mm & 35mm f/1.4 MF

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

It has a "silent mode", but it's not silent. Also slows down the frame rate and adds some shutter lag.
    I think you can make most Canon's nearly silent by shooting in Live view.

Quote Originally Posted by sk66 View Post
    It has a "silent mode", but it's not silent. Also slows down the frame rate and adds some shutter lag.
    I think you can make most Canon's nearly silent by shooting in Live view.
    I still hear it on Live View.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

I said "nearly"... Doesn't the Canon's mirror stay up when shooting in live view? (Nikon's don't) Most of the "shutter noise" is actually "mirror slap".

I said "nearly"... Doesn't the Canon's mirror stay up when shooting in live view? (Nikon's don't) Most of the "shutter noise" is actually "mirror slap".
    Just tested it...on my 600D it sounds almost exactly the same. Of course other bodies may vary.

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

SwissJon is offline Enjoys shooting people.

My mirror stays up on my Nikon in Live view mode, I just checked.. That's how live view works.. It moves the mirror out of the way and uses the sensor to create the electronic picture. Although I believe that it goes back to normal operation mode for the instant that it takes the photo (hence introducing shutter lag).

Either way, because shutter speeds are timed using the shutter curtain dropping past the sensor, you can't get away from having some mechanical noise.

Nikon has a "Quiet" mode, that slowly moves the mirror out of the way, avoiding the mirror slap noise, but there really is no escape from the Shutter curtain noise.
    Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
    A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
    Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

ceremus is offline aperture science to do

Here's Bryan's take on the MKIII, specifically.
    Though the 5D Mark III operates relatively quietly, two silent shooting modes, Silent Single and Silent Continuous, are now provided for very quiet operation. The Silent modes reduce the amount of mechanical noise produced by the camera in both single-shot and continuous shooting (3 fps only) options. Though "Silent" is not silent, the 5D III's Silent shooting modes are awesome - they noticeably quieter than normal operation and are significantly quieter than the 1Ds III Silent mode.

I have frequently utilized the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III's "Silent" shooting mode - especially when shooting music performances and other quiet events. Though the 1Ds III is quieter in this mode, it can still interfere with a performance. My photos are usually not the primary purpose of a performance, so I try to be very respectful of the event. I capture what I need without becoming a spectacle myself.

With the 5D III in Silent mode, I have a lot more freedom for shooting - allowing the capture of more than just the insurance shots.
    Perhaps the most significant downside to using Silent mode is that shutter lag is increased. This didn't bother me while shooting the recitals.

"Silent" will be especially welcomed by event and wedding photographers along with photojournalists. The 5D III's Silent mode will also be welcomed by videographers shooting the same events as photographers. And by those in attendance at the events.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissJon View Post
    My mirror stays up on my Nikon in Live view mode, I just checked.. That's how live view works.. It moves the mirror out of the way and uses the sensor to create the electronic picture. Although I believe that it goes back to normal operation mode for the instant that it takes the photo (hence introducing shutter lag).

Either way, because shutter speeds are timed using the shutter curtain dropping past the sensor, you can't get away from having some mechanical noise.
    On every Nikon I've owned the mirror cycles when a picture is taken in live view mode. Seems dumb to me, but they all do it. I believe Canon's don't cycle the mirror when in live view. In both cases the the shutter has to close and then reopen when a picture is recorded in Live View....

Some cameras have an "electronic front curtain" so the shutter doesn't have to close first. I imagine they will eventually develop an entirely electronic "shutter curtain" once they can get processing/record speeds fast enough. (I put them in quotes because they don't/won't exist physically)

The 5DIII is of this type. So the only noise you will hear from shooting in Live view is the closing curtain of the shutter.

SwissJon is offline Enjoys shooting people.

On every Nikon I've owned the mirror cycles when a picture is taken in live view mode. Seems dumb to me, but they all do it. I believe Canon's don't cycle the mirror when in live view. In both cases the the shutter has to close and then reopen when a picture is recorded in Live View.....
    I agree.. That is daft.. My Sony's didn't do that either I don't think..
    Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
    A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
    Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 Last