Close
Close
  1. #1
    wbrook13 is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    610

    Default Anyone had slides scanned to a disc?

    I just had almost 200 slides scanned and put on a CD at a local place of business. After importing them into Lightroom and looking at them, I'm not very pleased with the results.
    even though the slides were crystal clear and saturated with bursting colors, I have jpegs that look kinda "washed-out" or "faded", with lots of graininess (noise?), and they are only 1800 x 1215 in size!
    Is this typical? I don't know exactly what I was expecting to get as a result of the scans . . . . . . . . but this is definitely not the quality I expected. Was I expecting too much? I cleaned every slide with film cleaner (on both sides), and they are in archival slide sheets for protection.
    Don't know if I should take them back to the place that did them and complain, or just accept the images as they are.

    I appreciate any information y'all may have for me in this matter.

    Should I upload an example for you to look at?
    Tom

    Canon 50d, Canon 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4.0, 18-200 f/3.5-5.6

    http://www.weisbrookphotography.com
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/We...46659728678522

  2. #2
    toasted75's Avatar
    toasted75 is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    68

    Default

    I've never had slides scanned before, but from a quick check on a few sites it does seem a bit low.

    Did they specify a dpi your images would be scanned at? That's probably the first place to start... by the sounds of things your images are probably 1000dpi, this site: 35mm Slide Scanning Service. Scan Your Slides to Digital - Melbourne had 2000dpi as their lowest setting (equivalent to 4mb image) and 4000dpi as a higher setting (16mb image). Looks like they do some noise reduction and colour restoration too.

    some info from this site: DVDs from photos, 35mm slides and negatives - DVD Infinity - Sydney Australia

    Beware of backyard operators offering low prices. These low prices look great until you start to compare the differences.

    Firstly the resolution is often very low. We generally scan slides at greater than 2600 x 1700 pixels after cropping the uneven edges (can be enlarged to an A4 print). This means that we provide more than 4 x the resolution of a 1200 x 800 pixel scan (a 1200 x 800 pixel scan equates to about 10cm x 6cm at photographic quality).

    Furthermore, many operators only scan the slides using the scanner's inbuilt mould removal and colour correction capability. This is only half the job. The slide then needs to be manually edited in order to get the best out of it. This is where faded colour can be restored further, excessive mould can be further removed, etc to bring out the best of each and every image.
    :::: Nikon D90 || 18-55mm VR | 55-200mm VR :::: Photographic Newbie :::: Flickr ::::

  3. #3
    wbrook13 is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toasted75 View Post
    I've never had slides scanned before, but from a quick check on a few sites it does seem a bit low.

    Did they specify a dpi your images would be scanned at? That's probably the first place to start... by the sounds of things your images are probably 1000dpi, this site: 35mm Slide Scanning Service. Scan Your Slides to Digital - Melbourne had 2000dpi as their lowest setting (equivalent to 4mb image) and 4000dpi as a higher setting (16mb image). Looks like they do some noise reduction and colour restoration too.

    some info from this site: DVDs from photos, 35mm slides and negatives - DVD Infinity - Sydney Australia
    Thanks for the information, toasted75.
    I called the place that did them for me this morning, and asked if I needed to request what resolution to have them scanned. The answer to my question was "No, they are all done the same way; no adjustments are made by the person doing the scanning". Everyone gets the same end product. I'm going to print one of the images to see how bad/good it looks after making some adjustments in Lightroom.
    Tom

    Canon 50d, Canon 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4.0, 18-200 f/3.5-5.6

    http://www.weisbrookphotography.com
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/We...46659728678522

  4. #4
    Jim Bryant's Avatar
    Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning
    Posts
    11,425

    Default

    I have about 20 years worth of slides and negatives that I'm scanning. Unless you purchase a scanner (not one of those flat bed types) but a Nikon cool scan or a Canoscan, and do it yourself you're not gonna get the quality you want. If someone else scanned them and they are washed out, then they didn't do any adjustments in the prescan or even in photoshop before saving them.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

  5. #5
    wbrook13 is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bryant View Post
    I have about 20 years worth of slides and negatives that I'm scanning. Unless you purchase a scanner (not one of those flat bed types) but a Nikon cool scan or a Canoscan, and do it yourself you're not gonna get the quality you want. If someone else scanned them and they are washed out, then they didn't do any adjustments in the prescan or even in photoshop before saving them.
    Thanks, Jim. I am seriously considering purchasing a scanner. Is there a particular model number that you would recommend?
    Tom

    Canon 50d, Canon 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4.0, 18-200 f/3.5-5.6

    http://www.weisbrookphotography.com
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/We...46659728678522

  6. #6
    vsa's Avatar
    vsa
    vsa is offline Mebmer
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    500

    Default

    I have never had need for scanning slides and probably never will so I have no experience in that. But anyways.. I've been listening to Scott Bourne's podcast Photofocus and he's plugging ScanCafe as they're one of his sponsors. Seems that they scan everything by hand and have a running counter on their site of how many they've scanned so far. Also they do color corrections and scratch removals and stuff. You also can get 20% discount on your first order. Check for details on Photofocus Podcast Episode #46 Photofocus for example (search on the page for "scancafe" and you'll find it under sponsor title).

    But yea, I have no experience with this. Just thought I'd throw this out there as it might help someone.
    flickr | deviantArt | personal website
    Me: a photographer, a designer, a geek and awesome.
    Gear: Ohh a link?

  7. #7
    wbrook13 is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vsa View Post
    I have never had need for scanning slides and probably never will so I have no experience in that. But anyways.. I've been listening to Scott Bourne's podcast Photofocus and he's plugging ScanCafe as they're one of his sponsors. Seems that they scan everything by hand and have a running counter on their site of how many they've scanned so far. Also they do color corrections and scratch removals and stuff. You also can get 20% discount on your first order. Check for details on Photofocus Podcast Episode #46 Photofocus for example (search on the page for "scancafe" and you'll find it under sponsor title).

    But yea, I have no experience with this. Just thought I'd throw this out there as it might help someone.
    vsa, thank you the helpful information. I checked those links, and ScanCafe sounds like a great place to get work done . . . . . . if you're not in any hurry! Their prices are super and the quality sounds like it would be fantastic. I think I'll send them some that I don't need any time soon, and check out their work.
    Tom

    Canon 50d, Canon 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4.0, 18-200 f/3.5-5.6

    http://www.weisbrookphotography.com
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/We...46659728678522

  8. #8
    vsa's Avatar
    vsa
    vsa is offline Mebmer
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wbrook13 View Post
    vsa, thank you the helpful information. I checked those links, and ScanCafe sounds like a great place to get work done . . . . . . if you're not in any hurry! Their prices are super and the quality sounds like it would be fantastic. I think I'll send them some that I don't need any time soon, and check out their work.
    I think you can just not pay for the ones you don't want up to 50% of the images or something and you can preview them online. I'm starting to sound like I work for them or something. >.<
    flickr | deviantArt | personal website
    Me: a photographer, a designer, a geek and awesome.
    Gear: Ohh a link?

  9. #9
    Jim Bryant's Avatar
    Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning
    Posts
    11,425

    Default

    I use a Canoscan FS USB. But Nikon, Minolta and HP makes them as well. I can scan slides and negs from 1000 to 4000 dpi.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

  10. #10
    wbrook13 is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bryant View Post
    I use a Canoscan FS USB. But Nikon, Minolta and HP makes them as well. I can scan slides and negs from 1000 to 4000 dpi.
    Thanks, Jim. In the long run, if I can get that kind of quality at home, it would be a whole lot more cost-effective to do my own. It will just take a lot of my time . . . . . .

    How do we post an example of a scanned slide here? I uploaded an image to Flickr, but there is no data to copy . . . .
    Last edited by wbrook13; 08-06-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: adding a question
    Tom

    Canon 50d, Canon 50 f/1.4, 70-200 L f/4.0, 18-200 f/3.5-5.6

    http://www.weisbrookphotography.com
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/We...46659728678522

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in