Close
Close
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    klr
    klr is offline Kaylahaha

Default Photography Questionnaire.

What did you do before photography ?

Did you start off doing photography, then gave up and why ?

Why did you want to be a photographer ?

How have you progressed over the years ?

Is being a photographer your dream job ?

Have you been successful ?

What photography do you specialize in (Or your favourite thing to shoot) ?

Who is/are other photographers you admire ?

What were you charging when you first started ?

What are you charging now ?

What do you find is the hardest technical thing about photography ?

What do you find is the easiest ?

What's your least/most favourite thing about photography ?

Are you Nikon/Canon/Etc.. and why, and, if you've switched brands in the past, why so ?

Where did you learn about photography ?

Do you think you have your own style of photography, if so, what is it about your photos that stand out ?

What do you think makes a good photographer ?

What was your worst client experience ?

What was your best client experience ?

What goes through your head right before you snap a picture ?

How do you handle family/friends asking for discounts (If applicable) ?

How do you think that you can improve ?

Do you think you'll be doing photography for the rest of your working life (if applicable) ?

If you had to pick one photo to look at for the rest of your life, what would it be ?

What is your best photo ?

What do you think you need help with ?

klr
    klr is offline Kaylahaha

What did you do before photography ? I'm just getting into photography coming in September. Right now I'm in my last year of Graphic Design.

Did you start off doing photography, then gave up and why ? Started off doing both Photo and Design, branched off into design and now I'd like to branch off into photo as well.

Why did you want to be a photographer ? As cliche as this sounds... I love taking photos.

How have you progressed over the years ? Haven't been doing it for very long, but I think I've progressed a ton already. I work hard on the little details in my photos, I try to get the lighting right as best I can with what I have, I'll never be able to learn enough to satisfy myself. I love looking back at the photos I thought were 'amazing' and comparing them to the ones I've done recently. It makes me think about how much more I'm going to improve over the years.

Is being a photographer your dream job ? Sort of. I would love to work at a design firm and be a designer and have my own freelance photography deal on the side. I would never want to make photography my main job because I think I'd loose the love for it.

Have you been successful ? Until I start charging and making money, I don't consider myself to be successful.

What photography do you specialize in (Or your favourite thing to shoot) ? I love shooting sunsets. Again, so cliche but I love them.

Who is/are other photographers you admire ? Mosher and Tanya are easily my favourite locals. As well as my past photography teacher, Erin Mcguire. Getting away from locals, I really admire Webb Bland. He's an amazing car photographer. I drool over his photos daily and have them rotating on my desktop constantly. ( NOTBLAND.COM - The Work of Automotive Photographer Webb Bland )

What were you charging when you first started ? I've haven't charged yet. All the photos I've taken are nature and sure and anything else would be my friends helping me out for my portfolio.

What are you charging now ? n/a

What do you find is the hardest technical thing about photography ? Lighting. Figuring out aperture / shutter speed / iso / etc... it's enough to make you keel over sometimes.

What do you find is the easiest ? The easiest thing about photography in general is finding something to shoot. I'm always surrounded by pretty things.

What's your least/most favourite thing about photography ? Figuring out lighting.

Are you Nikon/Canon/Etc.. and why, and, if you've switched brands in the past, why so ? I'm a Nikon. Only because when I was taking my course which was half design and half photo I was using my boyfriend's Nikon D40. Then we fought over who's picture it who's and my parents ended up buying me my own Nikon D90. I'm comfortable with Nikon, I trust it, I don't have issues. I have no reason to switch personally.

Where did you learn about photography ? Probably started off with Myspace. I wanted good pictures of myself for my profile. Fast forward to 5 years later I enrolled in a program that's half design and half photo. Over those 5 years between the two I constantly looked up photoshop tutorials. And still do.

Do you think you have your own style of photography, if so, what is it about your photos that stand out ? I think I have a 'happy' style. I love images that are bright and happy looking.

What do you think makes a good photographer ? Willing to learn and retain the information, as well as having the eye. I think you can't just have one or the other.

What was your worst client experience ? I guess this counts... I was doing headshots for the Vagina Monologues a few weeks ago and my camera gave me an F - - error and at the time I had no idea what it meant. So 1/10 shots I tried to take, my camera would actually do something. Other than that... my mount flash didn't go off, it wouldn't focus, it would do anything but give me an "F - -" error. The error after I looked it up, just means that my body and my lens aren't communicating. So a light cleaning with some alcohol did the trick.

What was your best client experience ? n/a really.

What goes through your head right before you snap a picture ? I try not to crop at weird angles. IE : Middle of someone's arms or legs. If I'm not in auto mode I'm scrambling my brain on how to make my lighting work.

How do you handle family/friends asking for discounts (If applicable) ? I've always not charged, but up until recently I've started asking for money. They don't bother asking anymore. But realistically, I can't work for free forever. All my efforts that go towards learning everything are worth more than nothing.

How do you think that you can improve ? Stop using Auto and start being a real man.

Do you think you'll be doing photography for the rest of your working life (if applicable) ? I'm sure I'll be taking photos for the rest of my life, but I don't think it'll be my main job for my entire life.

If you had to pick one photo to look at for the rest of your life, what would it be ?

I would pick this photo because it makes me feel happy. I've always loved this image.

I've never been so proud of a photo or a person in my life. I know there are flaws with it, but it's absolute pure joy to me in this photo. I love her with all my heart.

What do you think you need help with ? Lighting, the different modes and how to set my aperture / iso / ss / etc. , and cropping lessons from my friend Mosher.

no.absolutes is offline dPS Forum Member

What did you do before photography ? There was a time before photography? I've been doing photography since I was about 14, so.... nothing

Did you start off doing photography, then gave up and why ? I never really gave up, no.

Why did you want to be a photographer ? It's creative, fun, and it makes me confident.

How have you progressed over the years ? Well, first I used to shoot with a 3-in-1 Intel Webcam, then I bought my first p&s, and now I'm on my 2nd dSLR

Is being a photographer your dream job ? Most definitely

Have you been successful ? I would like to think so. This time last year I was just starting out, and I've come a long way since then.

What photography do you specialize in (Or your favourite thing to shoot) ? I love kids. I have decided I don't have the patience for newborns, but I love chasing after toddlers and making them laugh.

Who is/are other photographers you admire ? Honestly, Jody Gall & Ruthie Mae from here! I absolutely adore their shots, especially of newborns!

Free for the first few, then $30... I was cheap!

What are you charging now ? $75, but I'm restructuring my whole business in June.

All technical aspects are challenging for me. I need more help with the technical aspects of my camera more than anything. I need to learn to stop shooting in Auto!

Achieving a desirable result, no matter how I got from start to finish.

What's your least/most favourite thing about photography ? My computer! haha Having to sit at my crappy computer and edit is the least favorite thing about photography. Being able to take great pictures of my son is my favorite part.

Are you Nikon/Canon/Etc.. and why, and, if you've switched brands in the past, why so ? I used to shoot with an Olympus E-420, but I just bought a Nikon D3000. My first p&s was a Nikon Coolpix 2100, and I loved it. Plus Nikon makes scopes for guns, so I know their glass is good and well worth it.

Where did you learn about photography ? DPS! I'm fully self taught

Do you think you have your own style of photography, if so, what is it about your photos that stand out ? Hmm... I'm going to say no on this one. I am willing to go the distance to get unique shots.

What do you think makes a good photographer ? Hm... see the previous question?

What was your worst client experience ? No shows

What was your best client experience ? I shot a client today, this was my third time shooting her kid/s. I have another shoot with them next month. And she always tips me very well.

What goes through your head right before you snap a picture ? PLEASE DON'T BLINK! PLEASE DON'T MOVE!

How do you handle family/friends asking for discounts (If applicable) ? Eh, so far I've done family pro bono for the shoot, and charged my cost for any prints. Not much benefit for me other than portfolio shots.

How do you think that you can improve ? I have so much to learn!

Do you think you'll be doing photography for the rest of your working life (if applicable) ? I hope so!

If you had to pick one photo to look at for the rest of your life, what would it be ? Honestly, I don't think I can.

What is your best photo ? Every time I take a new pictures I have a new favorite photo. I don't really know what my best is, per se... This one is hanging in our bathroom above the toilet... I love it.

Classic Boy

What do you think you need help with ? The technical aspects of my camera... what settings should I use for what situations? And getting away from AUTO!
    Becky - flickr - N-A Photography
    Nikon D3000 ~ 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm lenses
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present." ~Kung Fu Panda

chl0e is offline I'm new here!

I was at school ^.^
    Studying GCSEs

I have never given up, I've always been interested

I enjoy photographing hugely, it's become a massive part of my life.
    One day I sat up in bed and told my Dad I was going to save up my pocket money and buy a DSLR - and I did, and I have never looked back!!! Of course everyone thought I was insane, but I knew it was something I wanted to do.

I've learnt to use the settings on my camera, I've learnt to edit my photos in RAW mode and I've learnt how to use various lighting things. (Still got a lot to learn!)

No haha. I want to work with animals, researching them to find out more about them and therefore help them. Secondarily I'd like to be a wildlife photographer.

At photography? In a sense yes. In June I have been asked to be in an exhibition and I get lots of nice things said about my photos!!

I love animals, if I could I would shoot them all day long.

My flickr contacts! Amazing photos!!

I've never put any of my pictures up for sale!

Unsure what the costs at the exhibition are going to be

Understanding the 'speeds' when I look through the viewfinder

I find it easy to decide whether or not to use the flash.. haha
    It's almost always 'not to use'

Least: Feeling like I won't get taken seriously cos I'm 16. Or that people will think I'm only interested in taking photos of myself. For the record I hardly ever take pictures of myself...
    and waiting for cameras to get fixed when they break through no fault of my own!

Favourite: Getting a wonderful picture of something, particularly an animal. I love it!

Are you Nikon/Canon/Etc.. and why, and, if you've switched brands in the past, why so ?
    I have a Sony A200 but my 70-300mm lens is a Sigma. Reason being it had a macro facility when the Sony one did not.

Books, DPS, flickr and experimenting. I do a huge amount of experimenting xD

Do you think you have your own style of photography, if so, what is it about your photos that stand out ?
    I don't know. I like to think I put a bit of 'chloe' into everything

Someone who can photography boring stuff and make it look great

I don't have any clients!

See above!

It's usually either "D'oh!" cos I've forgotten to change the speed or something, or "Yay!" because I'm really happy to be using my camera. Or possibly "Grr!" if my tripod won't stay still or the flash fires when I didn't want it to.

N/A! Wel actually my Aunt is having a cross stitch book published and she asked me to photograph her for the 'About the Author' bit so I did that for free!

A million ways! I'd like to learn to use a dedicated flash and I'd like to learn to use manual mode all the time as opposed to aperture priority. I need to become less of an aperture lover methinsk...

Do you think you'll be doing photography for the rest of your working life (if applicable) ?
    No I don't think so

To look at for the rest of my life? God probably a really rubbish one cos I wouldn't want to look at one of my own for eternity cos by the time I died I'd have picked it apart big time and decided all the stuff I did wrong on it xD

A robin picture I took once ^^
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/chloe_t...os/4254404594/

worrying my pictures are pointless and that I should just pack it in xD
    Last edited by chl0e; 02-21-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Algernonep is offline Digital Photography Era

US Navy... I'm still serving in the US Navy as an Aviation Electronics Tech. I have 5 more years left before I retire.

No, I can't see myself ever giving up on photography!

At first, I just wanted to do something to pass my time while I was at sea on my last deployment. It became a great stress reliever and now it's something that I constantly study.

I have only been a photographer for a year now.

I am a photographer and yes it is my dream...

I've just started. The few clients I have had were a success. I have five more years to get better because then it will be my main source of income...

I specialize in photojournalism. My favorite thing to shoot is people...

I admire quite a few photographers. Joe McNally, Brian Peterson, Scott Kelby, Ansel Adams, and Algernon Parker...

Very little. I had no idea what photography can be worth and how pricing can effect all of photography.

I'm not really charging anything right now. I'm currently deployed. What I will be charging when I return? Example price for a wedding would be and estimated $1500.

Lighting is pretty hard.

Inspiration!

Most favorite thing is that it is relaxing and rewarding. It a creation by me.
    Least favorite thing would be it's expensive!

Nikon... because it is what I started out with and it's what I feel comfortable with.

DPS, reading a lot, and listening to other photographers.

Yes, I do think that I have my own style of photography. I don't really know what my style would be called. I do like a lot of angles and lines in my photos. AEparker style photos have character.

I good communicater makes a good photographer.

My worst was doing a family portrait in not so good weather. It was kind of cold and the sky didn't make for a good background. The client liked the photographs but I can say that it wasn't among my best work.

Shooting a little league football team was my best. The loved the photos and I was flawless...

Deep breath and 'is this compostion good enough?'...

Family and friends photos are used to promote me. Occasionally they will get free prints. I haven't done a big job for family or friends yet.

I can improve my business skills by going to school. And my photography skill will improve the more I shoot.

Yes!

The beach photo on my photoblog...

I can't really choose one that I think is the best but my favorite is on my blog... Yep, the beach photo...

I could probably use help with lighting or I could just read like I did with everything else.
    I could also use help with the business side. I need to get my foot in the door!
    Digital Photography Era
    My Facebook Page, My Twitter, 500px
    Nikon D800, Nikon D700, Nikon D60, Nikon DX 55-200mm, Nikon DX 18-55mm, Nikon 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, Nikon 105mm, SB-600, SB-900

maxharvard Guest

Breathed in and out at regular intervals

Never gave up on breathing, it's a hell of an addiction.

I'm suddenly not one now? I'm sorry I answered your question with a question, what was it again? Damn, another question!!

Every day I get older, I can't avoid it.

Dream little dreamers! Dream! (esoteric reference)

Define success? Why do I have some many questions? (DAMNIT!)

I specializing in capturing a lot of jpg files that just fill up my hard drive.

There could be/maybe/perhaps/sorta/not really/supposedly/in a way/.
    I was promised the Hope Diamond a few times... Yet to see payment.
    I expect payment in elaborate grandfather clocks.

Trying to photograph when the chime on the thousands of grandfather clocks go off all at the same time.

Getting that damn coo-coo-clock to pop it's little bastard head out!

Finding space for my clocks.

As long as the time is accurate.

The good clocks are heavy!! Get a buddy lift!

I will never photograph a clock.

I thought I wasn't one, per your earlier question.... I'm confused.

The damn grandfather clock only chimed on the 1/10th hour! Who the hell does that?!
    I got two clocks.
    "Did I remember to wear clean underpants?"

I never take a less than full priced clock

Accept more forms of clock payment.

*checks underpants*

Yep! Clean!

Anything but a clock.

The one time I caught the bastardo coo-coo! Who the hell knows when he'll come back!?!

Being patient with old people.

Raoul Isidro is offline Fuggetaboutit!

I design buildings.

I had a Brownie when I was 5.

I am not. I'm an artist with a tool.

Experience tend to accumulate.

No. If it's a job, it won't be my dream.

In photography? Yes, because that is part of my produce.

Photomontage, animation, 3D, QTVR, fashion, set design, architecture.

The Hollywood ones. Ken Duncan is one. He took all the stills in "The Passion Of The Christ". A good friend.

Heaps.

The Industry rate.

Storage upgrade. I hate it.

Film.

Least: Reliability of equipment.
    Favorite: The fellowship

I use both. It depends on the assignment.

My first Brownie.

Clients that have special needs... like this...
    (be sure to CLICK and DRAG the picture!)

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...Opera@Nite.mov

A good heart and a sound mind.

A client wanted one more pass to shoot a large property when the helicopter was running VERY low on fuel...

Being paid in advance.

"Oooh.. nice."

Glady do it.

By taking in more challenges. Things I have never done before.

Picasso did.

There's always something new.

Most are copyright by agencies or clients. This one is just one from my personal files...
    http://digital-photography-school.co...-aircraft.html

More money.
    Last edited by Raoul Isidro; 02-22-2010 at 04:25 AM.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when sh*t happens." Raoul Isidro

Sime is offline Must. Get. Coffee. Quick.

Drums, Guitars... Bass

Yes, Became a teenager and discovered girls.. then they got boring and cameras came back.

Liked capturing moments.

I think more about the image I want before I press the shutter release, and I know what all the numbers mean now.

No, I love it and don't want to make it something it's not..

No

Music, until yesterday

Steve McCurry today...

A cup of coffee and a cake..

150.00 for an hour with three images in high res and a cd of low res jpgs... depending upon who the client is... 'ish

Controlling babies...

enjoying doing it...

least : not enough time to do it. most : doing it and being happy with the shoot

Canon, no real reason.. got an Ixus 5 in '90 and liked the menu layout.. was Nikon, was Pentax.. looking for a Nikon FM now..

Mum, mostly..

Yeah, they're not that good.

I might like your photo today, I might hate it tomorrow... Moods change, feelings change... A good photographer technically can have the most precise photos in the world with no feel or heart whilst a kid with a polaroid might take a badly framed blurry shot that brings you to tears... I dunno... what does make a good photographer?

First portrait - snappy little model, I failed that day...

Metallica, 2009?

"What's the light doing now!"

They live 13,000 miles away... I don't

In most every way, every day..

Yep, as part of my job, but not as the whole job.

My little boy and his mum.

not taken it yet..

..turning off this darn laptop and going to bed!?... oh, photography... I'd like to know more about single light lighting, so, I'm finding out.. every day :-)

estir_bune is offline dPS Forum Member

I always love these questonaire thingies!

What did you do before photography ? Scrapbook other people's photos (mine were always crap)

Did you start off doing photography, then gave up and why ? started in junior high, but back then it was all about the dark room and I didn't like that

Why did you want to be a photographer ? not a photographer... just passionate about capturing life, the way I see it

How have you progressed over the years ? I don't scrap other people's photos any more!

Is being a photographer your dream job ? no... if it became a job, I don't think I'd have as much fun with it

Have you been successful ? depends on you definition of successful... I have a "fun" Senior portrait going into a year book this year and I get a "by line" I thought that was pretty cool

What photography do you specialize in (Or your favourite thing to shoot) ? I love to shoot in natural light so I'd say outdoor

Who is/are other photographers you admire ? way too many to list

What were you charging when you first started ? I was suposed to charge??? lol

What are you charging now ? way to little

What do you find is the hardest technical thing about photography ? moving away from auto functions

What do you find is the easiest ? uploading to my pc lol

What's your least/most favourite thing about photography ? the cost of equipment can choke a person / love the emotions that a good photo can stir up!

Are you Nikon/Canon/Etc.. and why, and, if you've switched brands in the past, why so ? Nikon... from my first point and shoot

Where did you learn about photography ? it runs in my family... my great uncle was a photographer for Southern Pacific Rail Road, my uncle is a fantastic hobbyist (that should be pro), and my mother's cousin is the lead camera man for Days of Our Lives (he also shoots the Rose Parade)

Do you think you have your own style of photography, if so, what is it about your photos that stand out ? my style is no style

What do you think makes a good photographer ? patience and thought

What was your worst client experience ? none

What was your best client experience ? senior portraits for a very polite young man

What goes through your head right before you snap a picture ? "crap, here goes nothing!"

How do you handle family/friends asking for discounts (If applicable) ? n/a

How do you think that you can improve ? learn more about my camera

Do you think you'll be doing photography for the rest of your working life (if applicable) ? n/a

If you had to pick one photo to look at for the rest of your life, what would it be ? one of my daughter

What is your best photo ? hopefully still to come

What do you think you need help with ? um.... everything
    andrea
    capturing life...
    one pixel at a time

starting to post on flickr

Parry is offline dPS Forum Member

Played Mandolin in a band

used to play with my dads old SLR and had a couple of cheap P&S's, wasn't till my GF got a dSLR that i decided (the day after she ordered hers) to get one, otherwise i was going to be standing around a lot...

fun

only had an SLR for about a year...

not really.

i do it for fun

Wildlife & Gigs

a friend who used to do my bands photos

remembering the thing... the one with the dots... metering... which is which :-)

Most Favourite, taking photos, least, sorting & PP

Canon - cos a friend had a canon...

lost & lots of books...

not really yet...

a good eye...

never had one

never had one

"come on ya b*stard..."

never had it..

learn about flash

nope, but part of me would like to...

Site : http://www.pazza.biz
    Camera : Canon 5d Mk ii

Page 1 of 3 123 Last