Announcement

Collapse

Please submit your assignment suggestions!

Hi! Please visit THIS THREAD and submit your dPS Assignment suggestions! We'll be starting assignments again in two weeks time - hope to see you all participating.

Thanks!
See more
See less

It's a Small World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a Small World

This is an image I took for a photography theme entitled "Blue". The rules were that the whole image had to be blue, not just an item within the image.

This is a drawing of my house I did about 15 years ago when we were planning an extension. It isn't a blueprint so I scanned it, tinted it in Photoshop to make it look like a blueprint and then printed it. Once done, I put the print on my kitchen table, set up the composition with the props, (H0/00 figures, just 10mm high) and I took several shots with varying aperture settings to get the depth of field I wanted. However, I failed on every count because of the extremely shallow DoF.

After a few days of taking the original shots and racking my brains for a solution, I recalled reading about a technique called "Focus Stacking" which counteracts the shallow DoF problems associated with macro images such as these. I set up the shot again and tried the technique for the first time.

At f/22 I still had to stack 6 images together to get everything sharp and within DoF range, but as you can see, it's razor sharp everywhere except for the out-of-range lines at the top of the image which I chose to have by design to give the image some depth. For a shot like this, Focus Stacking was a real lifesaver.

If anyone wishes to add images to this thread, you're very welcome, I'd like to see some other shots with these small H0/00 railway figures.

Any comments you may wish to make are also very welcome.
    Jeff Smith

Some of my stuff on Flickr

I like it! The attention and time you spent really shows through in it.
    Dave.
    Some pictures... (500px)

Comment

Operation Clean Up

Blue by JEF 96, on Flickr
      Jeff Smith

Comment

Great shots there. Loved the concept of the first pic. Second one is equally awesome.

I'm a beginner here. So I would like to know more about the technique you've mentioned here "Focus Stacking". Can you pls elaborate a little abt that?

--
        Sars

Comment

Which camera and lens were you using for these shots?

Comment

Little people

Hi,

I JUST LOVE YOUR SHOTS OF THE LITTLE PEOPLE! I've done mine not as macro, (as I don't have my lens of dreams yet), but none the less, I'm doing what I can...

I'm also wondering about the "Focus Stacking", can you explain this, is there a tutorial somewhere to get a real good handle on how to do this?

I can't get it to turn on!

Canon EOS Rebel T3i
            Shutter Speed 1/2
            Aperture f/5.6
            ISO 400
            Ev 0
            18mm - 55mm lens at 21mm

Do you have more little people pics?

Comment

Miniature trainyard

This is something I turned into a calendar a few years back... I had fun shooting it. At the time, I was working the original Digital Rebel (yes you read right) and a Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-5.6. This lens allowed me the very shallow depth of field I wanted for those shots.
              Andreane Fraser

Comment

Lovely! Amazing set of pictures here!
                http://www.facebook.com/TheUberPhotographer | Abhilash.P

Comment

Playing Checkers

It's posts like this, that make me love this web site so much.
                  Here is my attempt.... and thanks for the motivation!

I used a piece of software called Zerene Stacker to do the "stacking" of the 17-ish pictures. Very simple to use.

Comment

Yes, this is really small world. With the help of photoshop we can do everything with our images

Comment

These are really neat, but I cheat with mine. I love putting real people in my photos via PSE and layering. I also would like to know what you mean by "Focus Stacking". I am brand new with dSLR and still pretty much lost.

Comment

Pencil shavings image is brillant haha.

Comment

Here a link for focus stacking
                          http://digital-photography-school.co...focus-stacking
                          GwenWeber
                          Nikon-D7000; Nikon D-5000; Coolpix S8000; NIkkor 28-80mm & 70-300mm; Nikkor 12-24mm Wide Angle; Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Nikon , Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 & 55-200mm, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 & 35mm f/1.8
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/gwenweber/

Comment

Thanks! That was an interesting article, but, being the complete newbie that I am with my dSLR, how do you focus on four different areas without moving the camera? And if you move the camera, the photos will be out of allignment, right? I told ya I was at square one!!! I know how to turn my camera on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy Pohl View Post
                              These are really neat, but I cheat with mine. I love putting real people in my photos via PSE and layering. I also would like to know what you mean by "Focus Stacking". I am brand new with dSLR and still pretty much lost.
                              I'm getting lot's of PM's on this so I'll take a few more shots with the little guys and do a proper tutorial so you can all have a go. Very easy to do ;-)
                              Jeff Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X