This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WooD View Post
    I've been using a smugmug pro account ... My only complaint with them is it takes forever to upload a lot of shots, but I guess their about like the others I use.
    I've used exposuremanger.com for over a year. I shoot RAW plus small JPEG. Edit and tune up JPEGs and upload the small files quickly. I uplaod larger files cropped to size for each order.

You set the sales prices, pay cost of prints (ie. $2.40 for an 8x10) then ExpMan takes only 10 percent from each sale. My 8x10s are about 18 bucks so I clear about $14.00 each.

You select the products offered, can create your own products and can customize your home page if you know HTML. You can create package deals also, and review sales & shipping reports. I get an email whenever anyone orders, so I can fine tune and upload for printing. Works well for me...
    Larry Maupin,
    Pro Photog
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    www.maupinphoto.exposuremanager.com

Comment

You could try galleryXchange
      -----------------------------------------
      witmeyer photography
      Etsy Shop
      Flickr
      Facebook Fan Page

Comment

I have a smugmug pro account and love it. It's easy to use once you figure out how it works. You have 1pb of space (1,024,000gb).

On large uploads I upload one image to create the new gallery, set the look and pricing of that gallery and start the upload of the rest. In the morning it didn't seem like it took that long because I slept through it all.

Pricing can be set as portfolio (entire website), each gallery can have it's own pricing which overides the portfolio pricing... And if that isn't good enough each image in any gallery can have its own pricing that will overide all other pricing.

Smug websites compared to html is like comparing "multiple choice" to an "essay".

I timed myself once in creating a gallery and upload start. Under 3 minutes with the method described above. I sent out a link to the gallery to the event people and when I woke up the next morning it was working and I'd already made sales.

Any extra expense (they cost more some say) is made up by the printing and drop shipping directly to the customer saving me time and money.

When each photo is purchased I receive an email with what was bought and the crop selected. I have a one day proof set for my photos, this allows me to see and edit the crop (if they left it centered) before it is printed.

Back printing, right click disable, viewable sizes, private and/or password protected galleries are only a click away.

Can you tell I'm happy?

Troy
        "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right."
        Henry Ford

Comment

Question

Hello Guys and Gals,
          My question is this. Is there any free website host that people can order photos from where the company that sends the prints makes money and the Photography makes money as well? Thanks
          Clint

Comment

Have you looked at Redbubble? This a really switched on Australian outfit that are free to use. All you do is make your pics, upload and set the profit margins you want. They handle the orders and drop shipping and pay you the margin.
            A recent addition to their features is your own "bubblesite". Check mine out at http://glennb.redbubble.com/

Another feature is the Buyers Booth which features items bought through Redbubble from us artists. Nice for keeping an aye on the pulse although it is not comprehensive & relys on buyer's input.

Good luck with the search! Let us know what you decide to use.

GlennB
            http://www.associatedcontent.com/use...39/glennb.html

Comment

If you live in the Southern California area, or have some great shots of the area.. you should check out:

SoCalStock.com

The site pays out 80% to the photographer for each sale. SoCalStock allows stock and editorial uploads as well.. you can set your own price on photos, or you can go with the default sites price.
              SoCalStock.com - Southern California Photo Stock

Comment

Surprised

Surprised there's not much mention of Imagekind... besides one commenter. For people who have no readymade audience that will go to their particular site, I think it's a decent option.

Also cacklin, the free option may be just what you need. You can upload a few shots for free. I did it a few months ago and have just five shots up there and someone bought 8 prints of one shot the other day giving me a profit of about $200. Granted, this is very likely a one-off thing, I was mildly shocked, but for no work required other than uploading once, it's really not a bad deal!

My gallery is at http://photoshimona.imagekind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SinnedCBU View Post
                  Hi, any of you guys any idea which kinds of photos sell most on which website?
                  Like I have access to beaches near where I live,most of my shots are beach shots.do you have any recommendation which website i can try my luck in? or should i just post everything to all those websites mentioned on this thread. Thanks in advance.
                  Here is some info that i get through a site that sends me information on how to make money selling photos. The site is: http://www.thephotographerslife.com/
                  You can sign up for thier weekly emails with some useful tips.
                  Here is one that I got that answers your question. Good luck

Chunky bits: Newspapers (and, to a greater extent, magazines)
                  are getting away from longer narratives and are increasingly running
                  USA Today-style info-graphics or “charticles” -- stories broken up
                  into info-bits that can run with graphics. Think “The five coolest
                  Greek islands you’ve never heard of,” or “Seven places where you can
                  spend the night in a former prison.” (Please don’t ask me why it
                  always has to be an odd number. I have no idea.) This, too, is
                  potentially good news for freelancers.

These stories are much easier to write than longer narratives; you
                  don’t have to be Bill Bryson or Pico Iyer to do them. You just have to
                  have a good idea and the ability to research it. Many of the big-name
                  travel writers don’t want to cover these stories, and the ones who do
                  are no better at it than you are.

** 3. It’s the economy, stupid: Nearly every story published in the
                  coming year will require some sort of money-saving spin. “Tokyo for
                  Tightwads,” “New York for Nada,” “Chicago for Cheapskates,” “Bangkok
                  on a Budget”… you get the idea. Also big, in every market, will be
                  closer-to-home stories. So-called weekend getaways will, for many
                  people, be the only traveling they do in 2009. Every travel editor I
                  know has the same complaint: It’s really, really hard to get good
                  close-to-home travel stories from freelancers. They’re going to need
                  more of these than ever in the coming year, and it’s a great way to
                  get your foot in the door.

** 4. Picture this: Even more so than in the past, photos will be a
                  great way to make extra money when you sell a story. As newspapers cut
                  their photo budgets, they’re using fewer and fewer stock images, and
                  more images supplied by writers. The per-photo rate isn’t high, but,
                  if they publish six or seven of your photos in a spread, you can often
                  double your pay.

Things to shoot: People and places specific to your story. The
                  stubble-faced vintner who showed you around his vineyards... the café
                  you write about that reputedly serves the best haggis in Scotland...
                  the whale-watching boat you went out on. Even if they have a big
                  budget, editors can’t get these shots from stock agencies.

Also, get detail shots with a sense of place, like a bushel of apples,
                  a gargoyle door-knocker, or unintentionally funny signs. Page
                  designers love these, and they’re often hard to get from stock
                  agencies. If you don’t have a decent digital camera, get one (eight
                  megapixels is plenty).

Comment

Has anyone actually made any real money out of any of these sites?

Sold more than 10 photos?

I've looked over these four pages, and not seen much evidence that any of them actually work as a way of selling your photos...

How many of them charge for you to use their space to advertise the photos, and how much money have you made in comparison?

I just wondered if they were focused on making an income out of the photographer rather than the potential customer.

That's the only way I'm going to know if it's a good site or not... because I'm thinking that the standard of photography (from what I have seen so far) on this site seems really good, so it shouldn't be a quality issue if they aren't selling.

flickr

Comment

postwork

I use exposuremanager.com. My clients go into the site, choose what package and size. exposuremanager does all the printing and mailing. Clients pay with the use of credit card. I get a check minus printing and shipping fees at the end of the month. "Life is good!"
                      http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
                      http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
                      (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

RE: A Quick Guide on Where To Sell Photographs Online

I haven't tried very many online services, the only place I've tried is www.snapvillage.com. Haven't earned any money out of it yet.

Comment

Photo Shelter

I used with be with Digital Railroad, now I'm with Photo Shelter. They seem to be pretty good so far. But like most stock selling agencies, all the really good picture stock agencies are being slowly being swallowed by the free rights market.
                          http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
                          http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
                          (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Comment

red bubble question

I just downloaded a couple of photos onto redbubble and, despite the photos being portrait, they are now shown landscape. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix that? I shoot a large number of portrait shots.
                            Mischa

Comment

RedBubble

Originally posted by cacklin View Post
                              Hello Guys and Gals,
                              My question is this. Is there any free website host that people can order photos from where the company that sends the prints makes money and the Photography makes money as well? Thanks
                              Clint
                              I also have a RedBubble acct...easy, easy to use, upload is quick. There is a great support staff, many, many groups to join to advertise you shots. I have purchased a laminated print and calendar from myself to check quality, very nice indeed. Check it out, it's FREE! http://www.redbubble.com

Comment

Working...
                              X