Assignment: "From the Hip"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assignment: "From the Hip"

This week's assignment is "From the Hip".
    See if you can come up with a fantastic shot without composing your picture carefully through the viewfinder / LCD. It doesn't necessarily have to be shot from the hip - what about over your head above the crowds, down on the ground, etc? Try to push yourself outside of your dependency on your viewfinder. You might be surprised what comes up!

TtV Dandelion 50mm (by saralonde)

Contest rules reminder:
    1. The image you submit should be taken between the May 21 (when it was announced) and June 4 (up until one of the moderators closes the the mini-contest).

2. EXIF data needs to be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

3. Your post must include "Assignment: From the Hip" to show your permission to count it for the contest.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above).

For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

Next week's assignment is "Clashing Colors". No chance for black and white or monochromatics this time. Pick two opposite colors on the color wheel and include them in your shot. Red/green, purple/yellow, blue/orange, etc. Should be a colorful assignment!
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

Assignment: From the hip

EXIF DATA:
    Camera Model Name
    Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
    Shooting Date/Time
    5-26-08
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/125Sec.
    Av(Aperture Value)
    F5.6
    Metering Modes
    Average
    Exposure Compensation
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    Canon 35-80mm - Kit Lens
    Focal Length
    80.0 mm

Some post processing.
    Last edited by navy.wife_2004; 05-28-2008, 05:49 PM. Reason: Missing Information.
    Kristy's Photography - Canon Rebel Xti - 50mm f/1/4, 35-80mm kit lens, 70-200mm kit lens.
    Myspace - You don't have to be a friend to view my page. Take a look.
    Picasa Albums - Mostly my older work.
    Flickr Photo Album - This is work in progress.

Comment

This is a recent one of mine (not that I can enter the contest, being a moderator, but I do get to judge );

Mirrorworld

Nikon D40 with 50mm f/1.8 E Series lens
      Exposure: 1/250s
      Aperture: f/4
      Focal Length: 50 mm
      ISO Speed: 400

As you can see, I wasn't looking directly through the viewfinder. Yes, it is blurry but it is all about the blocks of light and colour - me, in a glass darkly.

Wulf
      Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
      Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

100_0003

This is the first shot I took with my new camera (Kodak Z712 IS), just seeing if it worked. Taken through my front windshield in the parking lot of Circuit City. I did look at the LCD, but I certainly wasn't trying to compose a good shot or anything. I thought it came out looking kind of neat.

Kodak Z712 IS Zoom
        Exposure: 1/320s
        Aperture: f/4.8
        Focal Length: 70.2 mm

Comment

Not for points

Here's a shot I got of my ultimate team in a huddle.

Canon XTi -
          Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
          Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
          Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO
          Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Comment

Assignment: From the Hip

lynn

Taken at arms length at a party over the weekend. The orange from her husband's shirt really reflected nicely on the side of her face.

Full Exif Data
            Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
            Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
            Date: 5/25/08
            ISO: 100
            Shutter: 1/100
            Aperture: f/5.6
            Flickr me

Comment

Not for assignment

I was going to use this photo for the contest, but missed the date by one day! Thought I would share the photo anyway...

I didn't use the viewfinder or LCD screen at all. Just put my camera close to the ground under the flowers, aimed for the sky and pushed the button. I like the color of the flowers and the blue sky with a little green in between.

Flowers, tree and sky

Camera: Canon PowerShot A75
              Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
              Aperture: f/4
              Focal Length: 5.4 mm
              Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
              Flash: Flash did not fire
              Karen
              Canon Rebel XTI with EF-S 18-55 lens kit
              Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens
              Canon EFS 55-250mm Lens

My flickr/My Redbubble

Comment

"Assignment : From the Hip"

Hello..

I m new here So, here is the Link of my Pic (sorry only URL...still have difficulty how to resize become 600px width!! )

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l.../Schnecke1.jpg

"Assignment : From the Hip"

EXIF DATA:
                Camera: Canon 450d
                Exposure: 1/30
                Aperture: f/2,8
                Fix Focal Length: 100 mm
                ISO Speed: 100
                WB : Cloudy
                Picture Style : Landscape
                Last edited by icha; 06-01-2008, 12:31 PM. Reason: 600px max width please
                Icha
                Site : http://icha78.multiply.com/photos
                Gear : Canon eos 30d, Canon : 10-22mm, Canon 100mm/f2,8, & Sigma 17-70mm

Comment

Finally I have something for the assignment. As you can imagine it's not exactly "from the hip",... I'm not THAT tall :-) Above head is fine, though, I suppose.

My Flickr

JanCervinka.cz - My webpage.

My camera:
                  Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-135 F 3.5-5.6

Comment

Assignment : From the hip

Oh goody! I just took this last while I was playing with my new tripod, not even knowing what this week's assignment was. It took forever because I was standing to the side of the camera so I didn't have to put my arm in an awkward angle. I had to try to get my hand centered without killing my neck to look through the viewfinder, and even though it's not fully centered, I came up with this.

Day Thirteen.
                    Last edited by kelseyhorner; 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM.
                    Kelsey Horner
                    Canon Digital Rebel XSi with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens

For more pictures, check out my Flickr.

Comment

Had the kids out wakeboarding this weekend when my son yelled, "Dad, look at that!" I swung the camera around and caught this shot.

Pentax *ist DL
                      Tamron 70-300mm lens
                      5/23/08
                      ISO: 200
                      Exposure: 1/500
                      Aperture: f/4.5
                      Focal length: 180mm
                      Flash: Did not fire

Full EXIF
                      My "daily shot" photoblog.
                      Flickr (work in progress).

Pentax *istDL, Pentax 18-55mm (kit), Tamron 70-300mm, Asahi 50mm.
                      Feel free to edit my photos and repost to DPS. Anywhere else, just ask.

Comment

Assignment: "From the Hip":

Urban Fox

Driving to my sister's I saw him sitting in the road having a wash. I had about 10 seconds before he was off exploring front gardens and my CF card filled up .

Camera: Canon EOS 20D
                        Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320)
                        Aperture: f/5.6
                        Focal Length: 250 mm
                        ISO Speed: 400
                        inaGoodLight.com

Comment

This was taken over a small fence but the leaf that I was going for was so hard to focus on because of the background so I had to take about 10 shots before I got the leaf focused. Single RAW HDR'd.

Leaves of Summer

Camera: Canon 20D with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
                          Exposure: 1/500
                          Aperture: f/5
                          ISO: 400
                          Focal Length: 50mm
                          TiM
                          Canon 20D, 50mm f1.8, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
                          www.timeinmoments.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cerrv View Post
                            Finally I have something for the assignment. As you can imagine it's not exactly "from the hip",... I'm not THAT tall :-) Above head is fine, though, I suppose.
                            Yes - anything where you haven't been able to carefully compose the image in advance of pressing the button is cool. Stuff like this, where you had to stretch up to get a different angle, is all good.

Wulf
                            Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
                            Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

Assignment: From The Hip

We've been having Summer weather in May this year. Consequently, I've been taking my daily walk late in the evening.

The sun is low and the shadows long.

Rather than from the hip, this one is straight ahead hanging from my neck strap, but no view finder.

The goofy silhouette is because of junk stuffed in the pockets of my cargo pants.

Walk02

Exif on Flickr

Cheers,
                              Igor

Sony Alpha 100, Maxxum AF Power Zoom 35-80mm, Maxxum AF Zoom xi 80-200mm

Comment

Working...
                              X