Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Contrast" Jan. 9 - 23, 2013

FOR THOSE OF YOU CONCERNED THAT YOUR POSTS ARE NOT SHOWING UP:
    We have had an enormous influx of spam in the past month. Our system is being updated, but in the meantime our spam control has been turned up and is being a bit overzealous to say the least. It is catching a lot of new members that have few posts. Please try not to keep posting over and over if your post does not show up. It will take the mods longer to go through and check them all, but we will get to them. Thanks for your patience .

This week: "Contrast". Contrast can be shown in many ways, but for this assignment I want you to show contrast between light and dark in your image. High key images, silhouettes against light, black and white shots, all can work, but you must be careful in making sure it works for your particular shot. Just turning a picture into black and white does not necessarily mean it will work for your subject. The contrast between the b&w is key by making sure there are not too many gray tones. Use light to help you. A single light source can create a strong contrast in a color image by using the light and shadow to accentuate your subject. Think it through, do some planning and try out different things.

Remember, I'm not looking for color contrasts (for example, red/green) or composition contrasts (a subject in a unexpected place) in this assignment. Your image can be in b&w or color, but the contrast should be tonal.

No Direction
    Image by Maxxsmart

As always, rules:

Just a note to new posters: DO NOT start a new thread for your post. Please just hit the reply button at the bottom of any current post and put your image there.

1. Your original image you submit should be taken on or between the 9th to the 23rd of January, 2013. Each week as an assignment closes on the Wednesday, it will be AUTOMATICALLY deemed *CLOSED* after 8am GMT (3AM EST) and any posts after that time will not be eligible for the assignment competition. Don't wait until the last minute to post!

2. Your post must include "Contrast" as the title or in the text (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).

3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above). It must be an original image taken by you.

5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (740px on the longest side).

6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.

For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

7. If you are looking for the winners of the mini-contest, please check the Assignment section the weekend after the contest closes. There should be a thread announcing the contest winners.

8. For help with posting images, check the FAQ at the top of this page and click on "Posting Images". It will give you a detailed explanation.

Next week: You knew this was coming, right? Color Contrast - We're going for contrast again, but this time it's strictly color. Bright colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel work well. Think of the reds and greens at Christmas, for example, or a lone yellow flower in a field of Texas bluebonnets. Saturated color works well for this. Even if you are found of muted images, don't be shy about color for this assignment. Simplicity also works best so that you don't have too many competing elements. Remember, you want your subject to stand out.

Colour Basics and Use of Contrast

Boundary
    Photo by Batikart
    Last edited by Saralonde; 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM.
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

Assignment: Contrast

Fishnet Weaver

Fishnet Weaver

Taken on January 12, 2013

EXIF:
    Camera: Canon EOS 650D
    Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
    Aperture: f/4
    Focal Length: 55 mm
    ISO Speed: 100
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: Off, Did not fire
    Gear: Canon EOS 650D; Canon EFS 18-55mm IS; Canon EFS 55-250mm IS; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Comment

Had so much fun with this! Played with hiding one of my new Canon 600EX-RT speedlites in a closet to create the pattern.

F/4
      ISO: 320
      single flash set at 1/8 power
      http://www.PhotographyBySusie.com

Comment

Assignment: "Contrast" Jan. 9 - 23, 2013

Taken January 14, 2013

This is my granddaughter Aria. She came over to sell me Girl Scout Cookies -- and I made her pay !

I did learn even more with this assignment! My camera battery was charging, so I grabbed my old Olympus camera. I was just going to take some test shots. I was looking to see if there was a night setting for low light and . . .there are manual settings - I never knew! Thank you DPS! I did not know what these settings were until I started working with my new camera. Not only that, when I looked in my view finder. . .I knew what the settings were! My biggest issue was trying to figure out how to change them.

After I got my settings changed, I snapped off a few shots and thought they came out well enough not to have to buy more cookies!

Aria

Camera Olympus C700UZ
        Exposure 0.5
        Aperture f/4.5
        Focal Length 13.7 mm
        ISO Speed 100
        Exposure Bias 0 EV
        Flash No Flash

Comment

Assignment Contrast

Beach Huts

Date: 13 January 2013
          Camera: Nikon D5000
          2.5s, f/29, ISO200, 29mm

Comment

I'm not sure about this one, but thought I'd post it until I have a better idea. It's one of the walls of the Festival Hall on the Southbank, partly in the sun, partly in the shade:

Light and dark

Taken 16 Jan 2013
            Camera Apple iPhone 4S
            Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1453)
            Aperture f/2.4
            Focal Length 4.3 mm
            ISO Speed 50
            Last edited by M Rousell; 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM.
            See more in my flickr photostream or on facebook

Comment

Recently started the 365 photo project and captured this one visiting family in NC. It's one of my better ones so far.

1.13 - Contrast

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T3i
              Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
              Aperture f/3.5
              Focal Length 50 mm
              ISO Speed 100
              Flash Off, Did not fire

Comment

Veronica Sun Bay
                Veronica Sun Bay

Exif Data-
                Date Taken January 14, 2013
                Camera Nikon D7000
                Exposure 0.003 sec (1/320)
                Aperture f/8.0
                Focal Length 18 mm
                ISO Speed 100
                Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase. Percy W. Harris

Blog- Two Go Tiki Touring
                Flickr

Comment

Everybody has their private world, where they can be alone. by puckers52, on Flickr

Taken on 12/01/2013
                  Exif info here
                  Camera: Nikon D200.
                  Lenses: Sigma 18-50mm F/3.5-5.6 DC / Nikon 50mm f1.8 D AF /sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro / Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR/ Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM/ Kenko DG Teleplus Extension Tube Set ( 12 mm, 20 mm, and 36 mm )
                  My flickr

Comment

Assignment: "Contrast" Jan. 9-23, 2013

I certainly learned a lot about exposure doing this assignment! I must have tried five different subjects before this one. This is an 3d laser etched acrylic cube that sits on my desk on a mirrored, lighted base.

Lighthouse for DPS Contrast Assignment

Taken on January 15, 2013

Camera Canon EOS 7D
                    Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
                    Aperture f/5.0
                    Focal Length 50 mm
                    ISO Speed 640
                    Exposure Bias -2 EV
                    Flash Off, Did not fire
                    Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
                    Date and Time (Original) 2013:01:15 13:56:04
                    Exposure Mode Auto
                    White Balance Manual
                    Scene Capture Type Standard
                    Kathy G
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lensbug2010/

Comment

contrast

dont really know if this qualifies but here goes anyway

DSC_0862

Date taken 16th january 2013
                      Camera Nikon D7000
                      Exposure 0.2 sec (1/5)
                      Aperture f/16.0
                      Focal Length 50 mm
                      ISO Speed 100

ok to critique my shots
                      Last edited by troodles; 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM. Reason: forgot to add date taken

Comment

"Assignment: Contrast"

We had some crazy fog on Saturday, providing plenty of opportunities for tonal contrast.

This was taken at the Minute Man National Historic Park in Concord, MA. The barely-visible house is the Old Manse.

Old Manse through the fog (Project 365: 302/365)

Taken on: January 12, 2013
                        Camera: Pentax K-30
                        Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
                        Aperture: f/8.0
                        Focal Length: 17 mm
                        ISO Speed: 250
                        Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Comment

[IMG]image[/IMG]

Taken 01/16/2013
                          iPhone 4
                          Edited with kitcam app

Comment

contrast

trafic

Comment

A glass of sea memories
                              A glass of sea memories

(Lens: Auto Revuenon, f/1.7, 55mm, M42 mount)

Camera Olympus E-520
                              Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
                              Aperture f/0.0
                              Focal Length 0 mm
                              ISO Speed 100
                              Exposure Bias 0 EV
                              Flash On, Did not fire
                              Artist Picasa
                              Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
                              Date and Time (Original) 2013:01:16 18:25:53
                              Date and Time (Digitized) 2013:01:16 18:25:53
                              Metering Mode Spot