"Holiday Traditions" Dec. 12 - 26, 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Holiday Traditions" Dec. 12 - 26, 2012

This week: "Holiday Traditions". do you have any special foods you make or things you do that make this time of the year special? If so, share them with us.

I'm overwhelmed this time of year, but I still bake cookies.
    342-366 baking Christmas cookies
    1/250 /2.5 ISO1000 50mm
    (An ISO of 1000 is what happens when you finish baking late in the evening and you're too tired to use anything but available light!)

As always, rules:

Just a note to new posters: DO NOT start a new thread for your post. Please just hit the reply button at the bottom of any current post and put your image there.

1. Your original image you submit should be taken on or between the 12th to the 26th of December, 2012. Each week as an assignment closes on the Wednesday, it will be AUTOMATICALLY deemed *CLOSED* after 8am GMT (3AM EST) and any posts after that time will not be eligible for the assignment competition. Don't wait until the last minute to post!

2. Your post must include "Holiday Traditions" as the title or in the text (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).

3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above). It must be an original image taken by you.

5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (740px on the longest side).

6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.

For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

7. If you are looking for the winners of the mini-contest, please check the Assignment section the weekend after the contest closes. There should be a thread announcing the contest winners.

8. For help with posting images, check the FAQ at the top of this page and click on "Posting Images". It will give you a detailed explanation.

Next week: Time for the annual "Best of the Year 2012". Post your best shot of 2012 and feel free to tell us why you chose it.
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

Saint Lucia's Day

DPS Assignment: Holiday Traditions
    Luciadag/Saint Lucia's Day is the Church feast day dedicated to Saint Lucy and is observed on the 13th of December, a big and important holiday tradition in Sweden before Christmas. I like the idea behind the Lucia tradition. Spreading light in these dark days means so much to many.
    While taking a break from my "busy shopping" in the mall, I stopped and enjoyed this little show. I saw this little kid with the santa costume (perhaps he is too young to be in the choir), dancing and cheering infront of the choir. So cute! Let's put it this way... the Lucia choir was good... but this little kid caught all my attention. ;D ;D ;P
    Lucia choir - [Explore 13/12]
    Date Taken: 13 December, 2012
    Camera : Canon EOS 60D
    Lens : EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
    Aperture : f/4
    Exposure : 1/40 sec
    ISO speed : 500
    Exposure Bias : 0 step
    Focal Length : 15 mm
    Flash : Not Fired
    Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Lucy%27s_Day
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw5NmXkXjlY

Comment

Holiday Traditions

We keep spare ornaments below the tree, so every guest at Christmas gets to hang one on the tree!

Name:  3f2f589776aa8b505ac094213970bbfa.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  423.9 KB

Date taken: Dec 17, 2012
      Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T2i
      Lens:EF-S 15-85mm f
      Shutter speed:6
      Aperture:5
      Flash: Used
      ISO:400
      f/5.6
      Last edited by ChrisVB; 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM. Reason: Can't view my image

Comment

Assignment: "Holiday Traditions"

Taking the grandchildren on the Christmas Lights Trail-

"Holiday Traditions"

Exif data
        Date taken December 14th, 2012
        Camera Nikon D7000
        Exposure 0.2 sec (1/5)
        Aperture f/4.5
        Focal Length 18 mm
        ISO Speed 800
        Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase. Percy W. Harris

Blog- Two Go Tiki Touring
        Flickr

Comment

Holiday Traditions

Coming downstairs to see what a fantastic job my mum has done decorating the tree. Beautiful as always, hope the picture does it justice.

Holiday Season 4

1/2.5, ISO 100, 55mm, Nikon D3000
          Mark - When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
          ― Ansel Adams

Flickr Photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/pob1884/

Comment

Holiday Traditions

This photo was taken on 12/18/2012.
            I have always been a really big fan of the holiday season. A while ago I heard about an old German tradition that involved putting a pickle in your christmas tree, the first person to find the pickle on christmas morning would earn an extra present. I found a great hand blown glass pickle at Cost Plus World Market and have had it on the tree for the past 5 years, though I haven't ever made my partner look for it. This is my first year hosting christmas and I thought I would start a new family tradition. This year's prize is a Starbucks gift card.

Canon EOS Rebel T3
            Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
            ISO 2500
            34mm
            1 EV
            f/4.5
            1/15

Comment

Holiday Traditions

Decorating the tree has always been my favorite tradition!

photo (3)

Date taken: Dec 19, 2012
              Camera: Nikon 1 J1
              Lens:1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
              Aperture:f/4.8
              Flash: Not fired
              ISO:1600
              Exposure: 0.167 sec
              Focal Length:19.6 mm

Comment

Holiday Traditions

Not for Assignment

I took this shot the other day when the tree was finished and just thought I would share and say hello! It's been quite a while since I've had the time to drop by and I missed the fun, and would like to try and participate some over the winter.

Many of the ornaments on this tree are very old and have been passed down through the family for years, so they are truly one of our oldest traditions.

My Christmas Tree
                Website
                Facebook

Comment

*** Assignment: "Holiday Traditions" Dec. 12 - 26, 2012

My first thought was Family getting together. Our Christmas will not happen until the 31st this year because that is when everyone will be here from their scattered locations.

My second thought was also decorating. I think of our decorations as old friends that we only see and spend time with once a year. They always are as happy to see us as we are to see them.

These last assignments have really made me look around me, appreciate and enjoy the season much more. Thank you for that.

Taken December 19th, 2012

Snowman

Camera Canon EOS REBEL T3
                  Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
                  Aperture f/5.0
                  Focal Length 39 mm
                  ISO Speed 800
                  Exposure Bias 0 EV
                  Flash On, Fired

Comment

Assignment: "Holiday Traditions"

A taste of France down under.

DSC_9423a

Photo taken on 20 December 2012 with a Nikon D90 with a 50mm Nikon lens

Exposure: 1/8
                    Aperture: f/4
                    ISO: 200
                    Exposure Bias: +0.7
                    No Flash

Comment

Christmas Traditions

Our Christmas traditions always included decorating the tree, lots of snow and a snowman.

Decorating the Tree by shannonm269, on Flickr

Snow Globe by shannonm269, on Flickr

Nikon D 90
                      F 4.5 1/160 sec
                      70mm ISO 400

Comment

Charlie Tree by T_Fern, on Flickr

Since I live in a studio apt, I cant have a massive tree. My sis gave this to me and it became my tree for couple years now

Date Taken: Dec 20 2012
                        Camera: Nikon D5000
                        Lens: 18mm-55mm (Focal: 42mm)
                        ISO: 640
                        Shutter speed: 1/8
                        Aperture: f/5.3
                        No Flash

Comment

Holiday Traditions - The Nutcracker

Holiday Traditions - Every year I go to the Nutcracker ballet. I never get tired of it. Now I am sharing the tradition with my daughter.
                          Canon EOS 20D
                          50 mm
                          ISO 400
                          f 2.5
                          1/25

Comment

Hannukah

http://annegeephoto.files.wordpress....2/dsc_0509.jpg

Taken 12/15/12
                            Nikon D3100
                            F4
                            1/125
                            flash

Taken the last night of Hannukah at our family party. We all gather with our Menorahs and enjoy the candles lit up.
                            Last edited by wulf; 12-21-2012, 05:00 PM. Reason: Oversized image

Comment

Help

My Image above is way too big. How do I remove the post and try again???

Comment

Working...
                              X