Low Light / Night photography

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Light / Night photography

This week's assignment is Low Light/Night photography.

Here are some places that can help:
    Night Photography Tips for DSLR Users
    Twilight Photography Tips
    How to Shoot Light Trails
    Night Photography Tutorial

Sorry, no time to shoot an example this week!

As always EXIF data needs to be intact if you wish to participate in the mini contest!

The image you submit should be taken between the 7th of May and the 21st of May 2008 (before the end of the mini-contest).

Your post must include "Assignment: Low Light/Night photography" to show your permission to count it for the contest.

Only one entry per member. Also, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

Next week: The Five Senses. See if you can come up with an image that represents one (or all!) of the senses, touch, taste, smell, hearing, or sight. How creative can you be?
    Last edited by wulf; 05-19-2008, 12:08 PM. Reason: No picture quoting rule
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

not for assignment, as this is from 2004, just adding it for an example shot
    DSCF5439
    Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 5.7 mm
    ISO Speed: 200

edit:
    about the photo. it was the last night of the chihuly exhibit. i had already been once a few days before, but was back. chihuly's glass work is amazing, and if you ever get a chance to see an exhibit of his, i highly recommend it.

this piece was enormous. i'm guessing ~15ft tall, and suspended above a reflecting pool. it was obvious one of the more popular pieces as the little atrium that it was being displayed in was packed. No room for a tripod, and i didn't have a monopod at the time, so i braced myself against the wall, and fired off a burst of 5 shots, hoping one of the ones in the middle would be in focus. looking back now, i should have increased the ISO, but I was inexperienced at the time.
    Last edited by glyphon; 05-15-2008, 04:47 PM.
    Olympus E-510 .::. 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 50mm f/2 .::. Fujifilm Finepix F20
    Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ 650mm f/5 Reflector Telescope
    my flickr page
    Adobe CS3 Design Premium Suite .::. Send to Flickr Uploadr add-on for Adobe Bridge

Comment

Here is an example I took just before Christmas:

Miscanthus sinensis at night

# 50mm f/1.8 on Nikon D40
      # Exposure: 30 sec
      # Aperture: f/5.6
      # Focal Length: 50mm
      # ISO Speed: 400

If you want to enter a picture don't forget to make sure it was taken in the right date range and remember to include the "Assignment: Low Light/Night photography". It helps to include key EXIF data as I have done here (so we can learn from each others' settings) and to tell us a bit about the shot.

For me, it was a chilly but crisp night and I wrapped out and headed outside to take some shots of the moon. While I was there, I also decided to try some long exposure work - this grass is lit by a combination of moonlight and the mute glow coming through the living room curtains.

Wulf
      Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
      Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

Thanks, Glyphon and Wulf. That's one part of my photography repertoire that needs some work .
        Linda
        My Gear
        OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
        flickr

Comment

nother example....
          Should I?
          D7000, D200, 18-105mm, 35mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8G, 18-200mm, 10-20mm, 105mm 2.8, sb900, Panasonic GF2 Samsung NX100 and lenses and a ton more crap!
          RoundboyzPhotography on Flickr
          RoundboyzPhotographyBlog
          My Twitter

Comment

Assignment: Low Light/Night Photography

Can't say there is a lot of night life in Round Rock. This was about 9:30pm and pretty deserted.

The trees down the boulevard are wrapped in white lights, year round, as are some of the buildings.

Deserted1

Exif on Flickr

Cheers,
            Igor

Sony Alpha 100, Maxxum AF Power Zoom 35-80mm, Maxxum AF Zoom xi 80-200mm

Comment

Assignment: Low Light/Night

Here's my attempt at a night shot. I was feeling brave and shot this one in manual mode!

Moon Shot #2

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
              Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
              Aperture: f/18
              Focal Length: 300 mm
              ISO Speed: 100
              Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
              Flash: Flash did not fire
              Exposure Program: Manual
              Date and Time (Original): 2008:05:14 21:20:55

Full Exif on Flickr
              "I won't see it - 'till I believe it." ~ Dewitt Jones
              KKH Photos Facebook Blog
              Canon Rebel XTi, Opteka power grip, Sigma 70-300 DG APO, Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II, Canon EF 17-40 USM L won at DPS!, Kenko Extension Tubes, Photoshop Elements 5.0, Digital Photo Professional

Comment

Bulldogmom that is one awesome shot! It is so clear. I can't stop looking at it!
                M
                Canon Girl
                flickr

Comment

Dates for the contest

Can I just check the dates the photos should have been taken within? Shouldn't the dates be between 5/7/08 - 5/21/08. I think the dates shown are the dates for next weeks contest?
                  Nikon D90 , Nikon D50,Sigma70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Ricoh Caplio R5

http://oakwoodlott2.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41549557@N00/

Comment

Where I live we have midnight sun now. It's daylight 24h. So don't expect an outside shot from me
                    Nikon DSLR with convenient lenses
                    rkcilF
                    I'm a FlashFrog
                    Twitter / zetson

Comment

Glyphon, love that shot! Thanks for the explanation too as I never would have guessed that sculpture was over 15' high. Well captured.
                      Sony A100 / Sony H5 / Canon Powershot SD1000

FLICKR

My Photo Site

Comment

St. Paul's Carnival- DPS Night Photography Assignment
                        Assignment: Low Light/Night Photography
                        The Carnival is down the street from me, starting this week! I had to take advantage of it
                        EXIF Data:
                        Camera: Nikon D80
                        Exposure: 4 sec (4)
                        Aperture: f/20
                        Focal Length: 18 mm
                        ISO Speed: 100
                        Also, on Flickr.
                        Check out my Flickr please!

Comment

Originally posted by oakwoodlott View Post
                          Can I just check the dates the photos should have been taken within? Shouldn't the dates be between 5/7/08 - 5/21/08. I think the dates shown are the dates for next weeks contest?
                          Whoops, sorry about that.. dates have been corrected..

Here's a non-firework/non-Disney/non-Ren Faire picture from me (change of pace I know..)..
                          What better way to express low-light than in a cave tho?
                          (bit fuzzy at larger sizes, didn't have a tripod with me...)

Marvel Cave formations
                          Cameras:
                          Canon Rebel XSi (450D)
                          Canon Lenses: 18-55mm IS kit lens, 50mm 1.8, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
                          Accessories: Lowepro Fastpack 250 backpack, Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash
                          OK to edit & repost my images in the DPS forum only.
                          Click for my flickr
                          The views expressed by this user should not be taken as the views of DPS.. basically if you don't like what I say, tell me, don't blame the site.

Comment

Night photography

Hi there,
                            I'll like to share some of my pics with you... all feedback is well recieved.

Nightfall over Seattle

Seattle Stadiums

In my site I do have some other shots with very low light.
                            Regards,

http://luismr.smugmug.com/
                            Luis Martinez | http://luismr.smugmug.com
                            Canon 50D & XTi | EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-135mm, EF 75-300mm, some B+W Filters and Manfrotto 190XDB
                            MacBook, CS4, LR 2.6 & Photomatix, Viveza, Silver FX (Nik Software) AlienSkin Bokeh & Imagenomic Portraiture
                            It's not ok to edit my pictures for reposting. Thanks!

Comment

Not for assignment

Just thought I'd throw in an couple of examples also, both I was proud of at the time

Off to Macau to get an official entry in!
                              Canon 40D, Canon EFS 10-22mm USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm USM Macro, Tamron 18-250mm (IF) Di II Macro

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X