"Doesn't Quite Belong" Oct. 5 - 19, 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Doesn't Quite Belong" Oct. 5 - 19, 2011

This week: A creative assignment. Remember the Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the other?" I want you to come up with an image where something in it "Doesn't Quite Belong". One item a different shape, size or color than everything else, one person that stands out in a crowd, etc. You might find it in a natural environment or create/manipulate something. Use your imagination! This is a creative assignment, but always keep in mind the technical things that make your image a good one.

One of these things is not like the others, One of these things is not quite the same...
    Image by Daveybot

As always, rules:

Just a note to new posters: DO NOT start a new thread for your post. Please just hit the reply button at the bottom of any current post and put your image there.

1. Your original image you submit should be taken on or between the 5th to the 19th of October 2011. Each week as an assignment closes on the Wednesday, it will be AUTOMATICALLY deemed *CLOSED* after 8am GMT (3AM EST) and any posts after that time will not be eligible for the assignment competition. Don't wait until the last minute to post!

2. Your post must include "Doesn't Quite Belong" as the title or in the text (to show your permission to count it for the contest) and the date the picture was taken (to show that it is a valid entry).

3. EXIF data should be intact. It helps if you can include the main points (including camera, lens, date taken, ISO, shutter speed and aperture) in the text of your message.

4. Only one entry per member (if you can't restrain yourself until the end of the first week you can post two or three separate pictures but your entry should be in a separate post and the only marked with the text above). It must be an original image taken by you.

5. Remember the cross-site image size limit (740px on the longest side).

6. If the image does not exist in post at the end of the contest, it is disqualified. If you modify anything on flickr and re-save the image then the link is broken and the message needs edited to link the picture again before it will be included in the contest.

For everyone, please do not repeat other people's photos by quoting them until the contest is over. If you want to comment on or discuss an entry you can use a link to it (or just delete the picture from the quoted text).

7. If you are looking for the winners of the mini-contest, please check the front page of the DPS blog Saturday late afternoon (EST) or here and this thread.

Next week: Let's try "Abstract". An abstract emphasizes lines, colors, geometrical forms, shapes etc., and their relationship to one another. Your subject does not need to be clearly identified; you should be more concerned with good design. When deciding what to photograph, look for the play of light and shadow, and consider things like selective focus and details of objects when you view them up close. You can find your abstract in nature, architecture, tools, urban and rural areas. Using a macro lens might give you ideas or perhaps capturing movement with a slow speed. For more advice than I can put here, try reading these and looking at their examples.

Abstract Photography
    Linda
    My Gear
    OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
    flickr

Doesn't Quite Belong

Photo 2: Using focus, color, many vs one contrast approach to emphasis the pattern breaker - flower. F/5.6, 1/400s, ISO 100

Photo 1 uses focus approach to focus on the pattern breaker, leaving the pattern blur. To achieve that, widest aperture has been used (i.e.f/5.6) and maximum zoom (i.e. 55mm). The camera vertical position is a bit higher than the pattern vertical level, and closeup. the first picture, i used focus for the purpose. The breaker was positioned at dead center vertically to archieve balance, and place at 2/3 horizon according to rule of third. Another horizon that gives way to significant proportion to negative space as it does not distract the image - color and tone harmony.

6. Experience:
    I spend much more time for this assignment - 1.5 hours wandering around and capture those images during lunch hours for 2 days. I felt uncomfortable as many people around my working area were looking at me strangely and I could feel that they might think I was mentally disorder -most of them are doctors and nurse. I have one much stronger composition in my mind for this assignment, but it is hard to find the arrangement . Again, I would like to thank DPS, for the short but yet powerful guidelines that help me in improving my shooting skills.

Currently stuggling to choose a flash - YN465 2011 model or Nissin i622Mark 2 for my D5100. Which one enables better learning of flash?.==> Nissin i622 is out as D5100 does not support Channel Mode!

Next assignment: WOW! the assignment is getting ever challenging! I think zooming in / crop to extreme extend will gives some abstraction that makes viewer think "what is it".
    Last edited by ccting; 10-19-2011, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Assignment: "Doesn't Quite Belong" Oct. 5 - 19

green vegetables:red apple

Date Taken: Oct 12, 2011
      Camera: Nikon D700
      Lens: Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 @180mm
      Aperture: f/2.8
      Shutter Speed: 1/100sec
      iSO: 500
      My Gear:
      Nikon D700, Nikon D80, AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D, AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D,
      AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED, filters, Manfrotto TR190XB with HD804RC2, Nikon SB-800, Nikon Right-Angle DR-5

Comment

Assignment: Doesn't Quite Belong

Toy Basket

Exif:
        Camera: Canon PowerShot S5 IS
        Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
        Aperture: f/2.7
        Focal Length: 6 mm
        ISO Speed: 80
        Taken: October 6, 2011
        Gear: Canon EOS 650D; Canon EFS 18-55mm IS; Canon EFS 55-250mm IS; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Comment

Assignment: "Doesn't Quite Belong"

trees, reflection in the pond

Taken on October 9, 2011 at 12.57am EDT
          Camera Canon EOS 7D
          Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
          Aperture f/22.0
          Focal Length 39 mm
          ISO Speed 400
          Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF-S 18-135mm, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

Comment

Assignment "Doesn't Quite Belong"

Heres my entry for this weeks assignment. have been trying out this effect over the last few weeks and thought it was an appropriate subject for this topic.

DPS Assignment - Doesnt Quite Belong

Camera Sony DSLR-A300
            Exposure 0.4
            Aperture f/29.0
            Focal Length 40 mm
            ISO Speed 400

Comment

doesn't quite belong

Doesn't Quite Belong
              Taken 12 october 2011
              Sony A350
              Shutter Speed 1/40
              Apeture f/4.5
              Focal Lenght 50mm
              ISO 100

www.fotodesires.com

Comment

Assignment: Doesn't quite belong

There's a tree in my neighborhood the loses its leaves very early, making a carpet of yellow below it. The red leaf doesn't quite belong.

Different

Camera Canon EOS 40D
                Exposure 0.077 sec (1/13)
                Aperture f/11.0
                Focal Length 45 mm
                ISO Speed 200
                Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
                Date and Time (Original) 2011:10:08 19:20:31.00-04:00
                If all else fails, consult the manual.
                My Flickr

Comment

"Doesn't Quite Belong"

Doesnt Quite Belong

This pretty pinkish-purple flower was found, peeking out from some weeds by the front steps.

Date taken: 7/30/2011
                  Sony Alpha a200
                  ISO 100
                  35mm
                  0ev
                  f/5.6
                  1/500
                  Lady M Photography
                  Sony Alpha A200 / 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens / Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Compact Super Telephoto Zoom Lens

Comment

Doesn't Quite Belong

Despite the assignment, they are all pumpkins in my book! This is my first assignment post, so I hope I do this correctly.

Tanner's Orchard-2.jpg

Taken: 10/10/11
                    Canon T1i
                    ISO 100
                    50mm
                    f/1.8
                    1/3200
                    Last edited by theosborns2009; 10-13-2011, 12:13 AM.
                    Osborn Photography
                    Canon T1i, Canon glass (50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6) Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/osbornphotography/

Comment

Assignment "Doesn't Quite Belong" Oct 5-19

I love this assignment, it makes you try something different and this is my submission for the assignment, "The egg's forced entry in the Candy Land - which doesn't quite belong to this sweet, little and colorful candies though shape is similar". Hope you like it!

Taken on October 12, 2011 at 10.19pm EDT|Nikon D80|0.006 sec|f/5.6|300 mm|ISO-400|No Flash
                      <3 Sri
                      Love Nikon D80, 18-135mm & 70-300mm
                      Sriz Klickz - A Photography Cafe <- Appreciate if you give me a LIKE on Facebook.
                      KlickzBySri @ Flickr
                      You cherish a place only when you are there, but photographs are cherished life long.

Comment

Originally posted by theosborns2009 View Post
                        Despite the assignment, they are all pumpkins in my book! This is my first assignment post, so I hope I do this correctly.
                        wow...

Comment

Assignment: "Doesn't Quite Belong"

Who, me?

date: 10/13/11
                          camera: NIKON D5100
                          lens: VR 18-55mm 3.5/5.6G
                          aperture: F/4.5
                          ISO: 2500
                          focal length: 28mm
                          shutter speed: 1/20s
                          flash: Off
                          Nikon D5100, Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm 3.5/5.6G (kit), Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm 4.5/5.6 G ED (kit)

Comment

ccting- great shots, you done well! I like number 1 best!

tlake55;1338683 - what a stunning shot!
                            Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase. Percy W. Harris

Blog- Two Go Tiki Touring
                            Flickr

Comment

"Doesn't Quite Belong"

Take your pick-
                              The cruise ship arriving in a storm
                              The oil laden waves
                              or the guy in the fluro

Doesn't Quite Fit

Exif data
                              Camera Sony DSLR-A350
                              Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
                              Aperture f/11.0
                              Focal Length 110 mm
                              ISO Speed 100
                              Taken 13/10/11
                              Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase. Percy W. Harris

Blog- Two Go Tiki Touring
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X