This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assignment suggestion: Naked Pictures

Whoa, put your pants back on. Not those kinds of naked pictures.

I'm referring, rather, to completely unedited and untouched photos.

Basically, we'd be allowed to shoot any subject, anywhere, at any time, under any light, we just can't edit the photo. At all. No dodging, no burning, no sharpening, no softening, no toning, no desaturating, nothing. Not even cropping (consider it an exercise in in-camera framing, as well). The only permitted editing would be resizing it for the contest. Nothing else.

For verification, users would shoot in RAW and upload a copy of it to an upload website (like megaupload or its ilk).

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Rajah Sulayman; 01-12-2008, 06:58 AM. Reason: Thanks for the merge. I have no idea how I missed this sticky.

focalmatter - photos that aren't entirely crap

Comment

• Ideas for assignment topics

Hello All!

Newbie here, just joined and so far I'm loving all the great pics and ideas. I'm sure I'll learn a lot and have a great time doing it.

I just had some ideas for assignments and thought I'd share. Maybe there's something here you can use, here goes...

Colors - what does the color red bring to mind? a firetruck? a shinny apple on a tree? Santa's hat? Valentine hearts? how about white - do you think of fresh snow? easter bunnies? crisp new notebook paper? fuzzy kittens? You get the idea, each color brings something different to mind if the assinment was pink - you might get photos of flowers, baby girls, or cotton candy.

Tracks & Trails - old abandoned train tracks, animal tracks in the snow, feet print on a sandy beach, a trail through the woods - makes you wonder whose been here before, where did they come from and where did they go.

Tempurature - photos that make you think "hey! that's cold!" or what do you see when the temperatures outside reach summer highs?

Water Towers - every town/city has got one or two somewhere and there are a lot of different designs some even look cool lit up at night. You may even be able to tell a little something about the town by what the tower looks like.

Found Objects - like just today while I was walking my dog I saw the funniest thing on the side of the road, 3 old spark plugs laying there in a straight row right in the middle of a puddle of melted snow. you're always seeing something odd like that one shoe on the side of the highway, or the dirty old baseball left behind in the park.

Wild Life - I don't know about your neck of the woods but there's always a critter or two to see around here.

or how about something funny like - What's in your fridge? or How dirty is your car? (ok so there's a lot of dirt roads around here)

And I could sure use some tips on this subject so how about - In The Gym Sports - volleyball, basketball...

That's it for now-

See ya around the net!
      "I won't see it - 'till I believe it." ~ Dewitt Jones
      KKH Photos Facebook Blog
      Canon Rebel XTi, Opteka power grip, Sigma 70-300 DG APO, Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II, Canon EF 17-40 USM L won at DPS!, Kenko Extension Tubes, Photoshop Elements 5.0, Digital Photo Professional

Comment

• Alphabet Assignment or Challenge

I did a quick search and didn't see this suggestion but I didn't spend a lot of time searching so....

This is similar to the alphabet challenge except you look for shots that look like letters of the alphabet. Creative cropping can be used. Here is a site that offers some good examples.

http://www.pbase.com/abbarich/image/18004012

We could go for individual letter or several pics to spell out small words.
        Canon 40D, Canon 400D, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS, Speedlites and studio gear.

flickr

Comment

• just a few from me:

Smiling/laughing
          Family (doesnt have to be yours, just family shots)
          pets/animals
          brown(always known as a dull color, but with the talent here, I know we could see some gorgeous uses for Brown)

Comment

• I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned or not.

Food.
            Check out my latest photos!
            I shoot Canon.

Comment

• Not sure if these has been said or done.
              Bubbles
              Leaves
              Nails
              Feet
              "Life is what happens when we have made other plans."
              http://www.flickr.com/people/aussiesunset/

Canon 500D, Canon PS A720 IS

Comment

• Northern lights

How about the nortern lights

Comment

• "Your Workplace".

So like how you view your workplace... if you like your job, then that could be quite a different photo than if you hate your job

(For Students, "school" would be their workplace, stay-at-home mom's - their house is their workplace, etc.)
                  Gear: Nikon D80, Nikon D300s, Sony Cybershot W7, Canon G12 | Nikkor 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 AF, Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF, 50mm f1.8 MF, Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF VR, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 AF, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF, Nikkor 35mm f1.8 | SB-600 Speedlight

Online Galleries: Website | Facebook | Picasa

Comment

• What about "Desire"? A photograph of something you desire....may be too broad, but it may generate some interesting subject matters!
                    Eternalhope Creations
                    Canon EOS 400D (XTi)-EF-S 18-55mm & EF 75-300mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | EF 50mm f/1.8
                    I strive to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with God.

Comment

• my photography club once did

-ordinary desk items (like staplers, paperclips etc)
                      -leaves
                      -traveling
                      -pets
                      -underexposure (where it works for the photo)

Comment

• How about "photos of photographers (un-posed)" - I'm not sure if it's been done here before ... but I always enjoy snatching a quick shot of someone else while they're shooting.
                        - Lou Ann
                        Feel free to re-edit my photos and repost on DPS only.
                        http://www.AngazaPhoto.com
                        http://www.photo.net/photos/Aepelbacher
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/laepelba/

Comment

• Ideas

How about:

Chaos - pictures of chaotic situations
                          Out Of Place - pictures of things that contrast their environment
                          Liam - Loving this site and learning fast!
                          Gear: Nikon D40x | 18-55mm DX 3.5-5.6 | 55-200mm VR

Comment

• How about "Albums"?

Photo's inspired by the title of your favorite album.

E.g., "Diesel & Dust" - Midnight Oil
                            "Brothers in Arms" - Dire Straights
                            "The Wall" - Pink Floyd

Comment

• Originally posted by Ash View Post
                              How about "Albums"?
                              While you wait for that, you might like to amuse yourself with the Classic Rock Challenge that DigiDave runs - here is the latest one.

Wulf
                              Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
                              Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

• Assignment Suggestion

How about Negatives? Not as in the use of negative space but pictures that are the negative of the actual photo. I've seen some very interesting effects using this technique and think it would be a challenge to take a really good/interesting one.

Comment

Working...
                                X