• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Horror Film Effect

Before:

During:

After:

How I Did It:
    The first thing I did was crop it square. It was shot landscape, but there was just extra nothing on the right side of the building, so I cut it out to frame the building a little better. After that, I converted to black & white using the Photoshop CS2 Channel Mixer (didn’t have CS3 at the time) with 25% green and 75% blue. Then I did a levels adjustment by bringing the white point down to about 168 in order to brighten the building up a bit. I also created a layer mask at this point that separated the sky from the rest of the image so I could work on each one separately. So the first levels adjustment was just applied to the building. Then I used the same layer mask to apply a curves adjustment to the building. I adjusted the curve to a very harsh “S” curve to really bring out the contrast in the brickwork. Then I inverted the layer mask and applied it to a levels adjustment for the sky. Since there wasn’t much contrast in the sky to begin with, I had to bring the black point up to 170 and the white point down to 222. Then I applied a curves adjustment to the sky with another strong “S” curve to boost the contrast. Since the sky didn’t have a lot of contrast to begin with, my adjustments forced a lot of noise to become apparent in the sky. I considered trying to fix it, but I think it adds to the mood so I left it alone. The last thing I did was add vignette to the photo to darken the corners and boost the mood. And of course, a bit of sharpening at the end — though this photo didn’t need much because of the already high contrast.

See more on how and where I took the photo at the Epic Edits Weblog.
    Brian Auer
    Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D
    Epic Edits Weblog

Thanks for the How-to on your before and after Very interesting read. I like the end product a lot because of the very dramatic contrast. BTW, I added a link to this in the post-processing tutorial lists
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

Comment

auer1816,

Spoooooky! This is one I could follow, and get good results. Well done.
      OK to re-edit and repost photo(s) only on DPS forums
      Proud user of a Fuji FP S3100, Nikon P90, a Canon T3i, and persistence.

Comment

I like the "during" image - a very useful addition. I'll have to remember that next time I'm working on a "before and after" contribution!

Wulf
        Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
        Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Comment

Great work wulf! Thanks for sharing!
          Kunal Daswani -
          Canon 40D,Canon 70-200 F4 L, 50mm f1.8, Sigma 17-70, 430EX
          OK to edit and repost my photos on DPS forums
          My Flickr | Kunal Daswani Photography

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Wulf - I'm glad you like the "during" image. It's not too hard to put together as long as you save your Photoshop files and don't do any destructive editing. I basically just started at the bottom of the layer stack and turned on one at a time while doing a "copy merged layers" and dumping it into a new file.
            Brian Auer
            Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D
            Epic Edits Weblog

Comment

awesome work. turned a 'blah' shot into something real cool looking. nice tutorial as well.
              -Matt
              Canon 30D, 17-40 f4L, 50 f1.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG Macro, 30 f1.4, battery grip, 430EX speedlight, Nikon SB-25, wireless transmitters/remotes, various filters, etc, etc.

msm fotki OR msm flickr

Comment

Thanks, Brian, this was really well done. Gives me hope for some of my ordinary photographs!
                Linda
                My Gear
                OK to re-edit and repost my shots on dps
                flickr

Comment

Hey, this is really neat. I love the sky and clouds, really gives the feel of something scary and terrifying!

Comment

That is awesome I like doing the same things.

Comment

I love it.

Got me thinking...............

That can be scary at times.

Comment

fierce conversion!
                        thanks for the detailed how-tos...made it easy to replicate and try on my own!
                        Nikon D200 + all Nikkor glass
                        "Given enough caffiene, I could rule the world!"

Comment

Glad you enjoyed. If you want to pick up a few more tricks, there are plenty more of these at my blog in the "PhotoBlog" category.
                          Brian Auer
                          Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D
                          Epic Edits Weblog

Comment

now, if only there were castles like that here in cebu... lol
                            canon 40d, 50mm 1.8/f II, 85mm 1.8/f, sigma 28-70 2.8-4/f, nissin Di622 (i lost this while i was drunk... huhuhu), a now working vivitar df200, and an open mind
                            ditchedconcepts.com multiply

Comment

Great PP and great looking photograps. I think I'm gona try this out... when I get some more training in PS
                              Nikon D50 + some lenses

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Comment

Working...
                              X