No announcement yet.

How To: Light Tent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much for this great tutorial! I am going to get the bits needed in the nexdt week or so and have a play

Great stuff

Greg
    Nikon D90 with 18-105 kit lens and 50mm f1.8.
    Nikon 70-300VR
    Manfrotto Tripod
    Feel free to edit/repost my photos on DPS.
    My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/22605888@N02/

Comment

Why is this NOT a sticky?

seriously??
      Nikon D90, miscellaneous lenses and lights.

Comment

An interesting thread. Light tents are a great accessory, and can make some items (very reflective for instance) much easier to photograph, but you sometimes need to do a bit of work to maintain contrast.

Right after you have made yourlight tent, think about cutting out a range of sizes of black card. When you photograph your subject matter, imagine it to be made of a perfect reflecting surface - like a mirror. Then if an area is looking a bit flat in the image, work out where to place the black card to bring back the contrast.
        Trevor
        www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-dennis/

Comment

Wonderful information. I have acquired all of the information and how to's and will set it up soon. I hope to overcome the shadow, glare, etc. issues I am reading about. I really don't plan to do stock but it would be great for my portfolio.
          Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by vandergus View Post
            10 Minutes per image seems like a lot of time, especially if it's something you're doing regularly. You take 6 images and your post-processing for an hour, yikes.
            Exactly.

Who really wants to spend twice the amount of time (at least!) on post-processing? Not me.

It just seems like (essentially) tracing around your subject in Photoshop and deleting the background is just a horribly tedious approach, especially if there are a lot of details on the edges of the subject.

I built my own light box (you can see it here), and I've been getting great results with it. Sure, the backgrounds aren't pure white (255, 255, 255) straight out of camera, but they are very close, and it takes but a couple minutes worth of curves/levels adjustments in Photoshop to touch the photo up. I much prefer this approach.
            Flickr
            Model Mayhem - I'd love to work with you!
            Twitter - Follow me!
            facebook - Become my fan!

Comment

Originally posted by kencaleno View Post
              Light tents are a waste of time-
              Oh sod off.
              I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
              adammontpetit.com
              Gear List
              500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

But, it's undeniable fact...
                Flickr
                Model Mayhem - I'd love to work with you!
                Twitter - Follow me!
                facebook - Become my fan!

Comment

Originally posted by OsmosisStudios View Post
                  Oh sod off.
                  LOL!!! I don't have a light tent but I see how useful it can be.
                  Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
                  Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
                  Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
                  Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
                  http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

Comment

I'm obviously slow to catch up

.... but have finally seen this set of posts and made my own DIY light box. Broad design same as Bail's original (thanks Bail), but with one refinement that made it a lot easier.

I went to a local stationery store and bought a plane white box (white on outside, typical cardboard colour on inside). Instead of having to do all the lining / painting options mentioned in these posts, I assembled it "inside out" by cutting down one of the 4 sides, assembling it and then sticking the cut out side back together with tape.

Big advantage was that all of the inside is white, so that when I cut out the sides etc, I don't have to stick bits of white card over the exposed cardboard bits on the inside.

First attempts are promising, but I have to work on light settings, flash settings etc, as this type of photography is new to me.

Victor

Comment

Working...
                    X