No announcement yet.

Need advice- Lense/Camera Combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks osmosis those are GREAT links I will definitely go over them and get my learn on, i looked at the #1 and #15 ranked UV filters and man on the worst ranked one you can see a TON of difference, i cannot tell a darn thing on the winner. This is the kind of thing I had been looking for as a comparison!!!!
    Nikon D40
    Nikkor 18-105 VR
    Promaster 7500EDF speed light
    If your struggling listen to this!

Comment

Well if this guy just wants anecdotal evidence then he can take this from a friend of mine,
      I still have the shattered UV filter from my old 18-55 when the tripod fell over and landed directly on the lens.

$600 Lens and Camera - Fine. $20 UV filter - shattered. Totally worth it.
      Not to mention Canon weather-sealed L lenses technically aren't fully sealed unless there's a filter in place. And if you are shooting in adverse conditions where weather-sealing is a factor, consider also what happens if some sort of grime gets on your lens. Are you more comfortable cleaning gritty mud off of your lens's front element, or off a replaceable filter?
      My flickriver

Comment

Whether you're replacing the front element or a filter: the front element replacement generally requires a trip to the service center, and a two week wait (if you're lucky. Could be longer). A filter replacement takes a few seconds, and you can do it in your own home.

I prefer trashing the coatings on a moderately-priced UV filter, and replacing it every year or so, rather than trashing the coatings on the front element of my lens every year or so. I shoot outdoors a lot in dusty, or beach-like (salt water) environments. I'm also unhandy with lens caps, lose them a lot (and yes, I've tried leashes), and I tend to wipe things off with a dry microfiber cloth or a shirt tail--whatever's handiest.

No, having a UV filter on the front may not be ideal for physical protection. I use my hoods, too. But given what and how you shoot, a filter may not be a bad thing, either. If you get a good multi-coated one, the effect probably won't reach your level of awareness, as long as you watch out for flare, in which case, you can remove it.

I shot for two decades with an Olympus OM-10. It only had one lens: a 50/1.8. I never had a lens cap on it the entire time. I used one grubby skylight filter all that time. The coatings on it are mostly intact, my images looked good, and the front element of that lens is pristine.

When it comes to resale value, nobody wants to be told "oh, that scratch on the front element shouldn't affect picture quality." or "It only costs you a little over $100 to replace the front element." They want to be told "the front element is flawless."

Whether or not to use a UV filter as protection is a personal matter. There is no absolute that holds for everyone. Just because you, personally, feel no need for one doesn't mean there aren't good logical reasons for the other side of the debate. Just as there's no reason anyone should tell you that you HAVE to have one on the front of the lens all the time. Make up your own mind about this. I know I'm a happier shooter with them on the front of my lenses. That's why I use them.
        Last edited by inkista; 12-15-2011, 08:08 PM.
        I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Comment

I think everyone is making good points and i LOVE threads like this because it allows the next generation of new DSLR users to find this and it has plenty of information for the next reader to make a solid informed decision based on THEIR circumstances. Given the constant back and forth controversy stuff like this should be stickied i think.

I have decided I will buy nice filters and keep them on and here r my reasons;

I like the utility of picking it up switching it on and being ready to shoot I tend ot meave my camera out around the house cause with a 3yo you never know when a great photo opportunity will arise. Lens caps stall that process and get lost.

I FEEL better know it is on there, it may be misplaced confidence, it may not be, but perception is reality and i PERCEIVE a larger margin of safety from a drop or fall.

I can clean it with whatever I want. Tshirt, kleenex, what ever I want where ever i want.

And lastly i cannot tell a difference in my photos with or without the filter.
          Nikon D40
          Nikkor 18-105 VR
          Promaster 7500EDF speed light
          If your struggling listen to this!

Comment

Congrats on the purchase. You have everything to make the most beautiful shots you will ever need !!

Originally posted by dwhanson View Post
            Below you'll find the results of the advice and schooling I got here. I purchased:

Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 18-105mm kit lens
            Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
            Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
            Nikon SB-400 Speedlight Flash
            Rode VideoMic Pro Compact shotgun mic
            MC-DC2 Remote Release Cord (1 meter)
            SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card
            SunPak Pro Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Tripod
            Fancy case to carry it all in

A little over the original budget. I decided to go for it now. One last question- what are the cheapest brand of UV and Circular Polarizing filters can I get some good use out of? I pretty well broke the bank on the rest of it.

Thanks again for all the guidance!
            Nikon D7000-AA filter removed, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-150 OS f/2.8, Nikkor 300mm f/4, 2x SB600, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye.

Comment

As far as the UV filters go, protecting the front element was pretty much the whole point. However, I suppose careful handling is the best protection. The polarizer was more for the effect of eliminating glare, with protection being the secondary reason. I have not ever used either of these items, so perhaps I should get some experience in first, and purchase filters if I find a need. Thank you.
              Dwhanson - new amateur - Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 18-105mm kit lens, Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G, Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Nikon SB-400 Speedlite Flash

www.dwhansonphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scottm View Post
                Unless you have a compelling reason to place a UV filter on the front of your expensive glass to reduce the quality, avoid it. Many people merely use such filters to protect the front element of their lenses and suffer a degredation in quality wthout realising it.
                The UV filter would be more for protection of the lens. I'm considering lens filters only because I've read what other people consider to be the benefits of using them. Maybe I need to wait until I have more experience and find a need for using them.
                Dwhanson - new amateur - Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 18-105mm kit lens, Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G, Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Nikon SB-400 Speedlite Flash

www.dwhansonphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                X