Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sound does your digital camera make?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sound does your digital camera make?

Hi.

I am currently working on a theoretical design proposal that would use sound informatively on a digital camera. For example, instead of just beeping when your battery is low, the camera may make a certain noise when there isn't enough light and make a contrasting sound when there is too much. I wondered if people could offer suggestions of other instances where information from a digital camera could be given in sound. Or examples of their own cameras where sound is used? Or where they would like sound to be used?

I understand this is strange as cameras are obviously visual but I am working on a paper that highlights design interfaces that have no or limited information given sonically.

Thanks for any feedback.

My camera makes ONE sound: the mirror/shutter mechanism when I take a picture. I've muted everything else on purpose.
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

+1

That said, I suppose it's interesting using sound instead of a visual clue. But I would also think it would be quite annoying to others... maybe if there were a headphone jack... You might laugh, but I'd rather see someone with headphones plugged into the camera than listen to a dog barking and a chicken clucking (I really don't like those cameras that have the odd "shutter" sounds)
      Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
      Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
      My Flickr

Comment

I wish my DSLR made no sound at all when I click the shutter

The shutter mechanism sound gets unwanted attention from creatures that I am trying to capture
        Steve

Equipment: Entry Level DSLR with a Couple of Lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Comment

Likewise mute all the beeps.

An interesting concept, audio feedback. Perhaps a gradual tone going from low to high indicating under or over exposure. Rather just look at the meter though!
          Seeker of the Peace, Part-time Chandelier Cleaner, a Legend in his own Time, Oppressor of Champions, Soldier of Fortune, World Traveller, Bon Vivant, Defender of Reason, All-round Good Guy, Casual Hero, Philosopher. Equations Solved, Revolutions Quelled, Banquets Organised, Governments Run, Test Rockets Flown, Bears Wrestled, Photos Taken.

Comment

+1 here - silence for me. The beep is a

ALTHOUGH - I wear glasses and I can barely see the info strip in the view finder. This makes it impossible to spot any warning lights flashing.
            That would not convince to install a sound in its place however - it may for some.

Comment

The concept may be find for a specialized product or for a consumer-level camera. But for the dSLR crowd, not so much.
              I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
              adammontpetit.com
              Gear List
              500PX | Graphic Design

Comment

Now if you could make it say ouch when I bump it into a door jamb.....
                Scott
                Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Comment

Working...
                X