Close
Close
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

Default Apple Killed the CD+R

Apple killed the CD+R and the DVD.  No, really... they did.

I'm sure it was maybe one of the last things that Steve Jobs did before he kicked the bucket.  In some dark conference room in Cupertino CA at Apple HQ, someone wrote out one a dry erase board "We must kill off the CD+r and the DVD"  And so it came to pass.  

If you've bought a new computer or laptop in the last two years, you might have noticed something.  They don't even HAVE a CD or DVD drive.  The new Macbooks don't have a drive at all.  Just the little USB ports.  Apple killed the CD drive.

The reason I bring this up, is because of my photography business www.rspearsphotography.com  When I would shoot a wedding, or a Quinceanera, or family portraits, I would give the client a CD or DVD of the images.  This has always had some problems.  I'd eventually get the phone call or the email "That disc you sent me... it won't read anymore... it just shows an error"

I'm happy to announce a new era at R Spears Photography!  Ta-Da!  The cool looking USB flash drive with my handy dandy new logo on it.

It's going to be delivered to clients in an equally cool looking metal case (also with the spiffy new logo)

I've been working on the logo for some time.  I have a few talents, but graphic design is NOT one of them.  I'm also a little cheap.  I found a designer who would do a logo for me for $400-$500.  Not bad in today's market, but I'd rather spend that money on a new lens.

So I convinced myself that I could design it myself.  I started out with my name.  Spears.  I thought... "Hmm... Spear... like one of those long pointy things you throw..."  and I started designing a logo.

It wasn't pretty.  I thought it was kind of cool looking... but a spear just isn't something that translates well as a logo.  

I needed something simple... that would reduce down small, and still be recognizable.  Think of the Nike swoosh, or the red and white Coca Cola logo.  These are simple designs.  I liked the "idea" of the spear, and played around with just a arrow point.  

After playing around a little more with the arrow, I had something that looked a lot like the Star Fleet insignia that Capt. Kirk had on his uniform.  I thought people would think I was a little TOO geeky if I had a star trek emblem for a logo.  

Finally, I put the arrow through the script lettering, and it looked like a commercial logo.  Not everyone who has looked at it has liked it.  One person said they thought it looked like an oilfield company logo.  Okay.  Someone else looked at it, and said... "I don't get it... it doesn't say 'photography' "  I tried drawing a camera, but that didn't work either.

So, I needed to order some marketing material for the coming bridal season, and decided I'd go with the blue arrow oilfield thingy.  Like it or not, there's the logo.  My brand.  More to come.  Unless Apple decides to come after me too.

Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

Biomech is offline World Commended

I still give my clients CD's of images - you can't custom print on USB sticks :P At some point I'll move over, but at the moment, I find they aren't cost effective and I feel they lack substance :P .... for now.
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian

To me, thumb drives are just too small. I misplace them all of the time....There's an "important one" I haven't been able to find for several months now.

dakwegmo is offline instigator

I bought a new computer just last week with a CD/DVD/RW drive.
    [ԯ] marcus
    photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Even through the new Apple MacPro laptops don't have an internal DVD/CD burner. You can always purchase one of their external burners.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

autofocus is offline I'm old here...

did we ever think the vinyl record would go away? ...or the tape?...or the VCR? Eventually, and it's probably just a matter of time when CD/DVD and flash technology will be a thing of the past
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

I guess that is just one more reason not to buy Apple products. I build my own computers and have no problem getting internal DVD burners for them.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

autofocus is offline I'm old here...

Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
    I guess that is just one more reason not to buy Apple products. I build my own computers and have no problem getting internal DVD burners for them.
    I don't image you can save any money by doing that when you consider what the cost of the separate components are that has to go into the build of a PC, as in:
    a chassis/enclosure, a mother board with processor(s) fans, I/O boards, graphics board, drives and drive controller board, memory, operating system, power supply, keyboard, etc. Is this more of a hobby for you, or do you really want a custom system that might be hard to duplicate from an off the shelf supplier?
    And I know that you get a highly integrated mother board that has much of those control functions bundled in, but if any of those functions fail you're most probably faced with chucking the mother board for a replacement.
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Quote Originally Posted by autofocus View Post
    I don't image you can save any money by doing that when you consider what the cost of the separate components are that has to go into the build of a PC, as in:
    a chassis/enclosure, a mother board with processor(s) fans, I/O boards, graphics board, drives and drive controller board, memory, operating system, power supply, keyboard, etc. Is this more of a hobby for you, or do you really want a custom system that might be hard to duplicate from an off the shelf supplier?
    And I know that you get a highly integrated mother board that has much of those control functions bundled in, but if any of those functions fail you're most probably faced with chucking the mother board for a replacement.
    Ain't that the truth!
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

zona5101 is offline Molon Labe

Love the logo and it's simplistic, yet stylish look. I dig how the"S" wraps around the arrow point. I like the idea of the thumb drives too. A client may or may not have a cd/dvd drive but they will all have a usb port. Nice work on all fronts.
    Last edited by zona5101; 01-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last