Close
Close
    Tabitha Underwood is offline I'm new here!

Exclamation A question for Senior Photographers ... ?

I have come across other Senior photographers that say they "only shoot girls" (the 1 I am referring to is a woman, btw) . While I have done some shoots for Sr guys in my business, the last 2 I have done have been crazy dramatic because of mommas & the 2 guys could care less. The shoots were not fun, for them or me. I feel like maybe I should exclusively shoot the girls, but unsure of how to express that without parents going nuts & thinking I am rude for not shooting their son. Does this make sense ? Any help or ideas is much appreciated ! Thank you

veritasimagery is online now I'm one of "those" people

You haven't had any drama with the girls? I wouldn't drop an entire gender just because of a couple bad ones.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

mshockley is offline Take A Shot

I have shot many of both girls and guys. Yes, the girls are usually fired up and very excited--they've been thinking about their senior pictures since the beginning of high school right!

The guys usually could care less one way or the other--at least this has been my experience, but your job, and mine is to turn that around and make the whole thing just way too fun and way too cool. I have found if I am pumped up during the shoot this becomes a contagious type of atmosphere. Also, at the start of the session I usually acknowledge that I am aware that he probably has a long list of other places he would prefer to be and I will do everything in my power to make things as painless and fast as possible!

I do not think I would ever consider saying that I would only shoot the girls. Yes it's usually more fun for me to shoot the girls, but hey, it's not about my happiness!

redartsjr is offline JustMe

It took me a bit to figure it out but I thought you were talking about elderly photographers such as my self. Photographing people in it self takes a lot of patience But photographing High School Seniors... good luck with that one.
    Rick

UlpilotSC is offline Insert title here

It's my experience in my area the girls make a really big deal about senior photos, and the guys seem to think its a waste of time. If you only want to photograph girls, just say it...
    Or you could say "I only photograph people 18 and up, parents not allowed to be present at the shoot."

That should cut out the Over-achieving mommy BS.
    -----------------------------------------
    Canon T1i 18-35mm, 50mm, 28mm, 100-500mm and some other stuff.
    Please don't read my blog!

veritasimagery is online now I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by UlpilotSC View Post
    Or you could say "I only photograph people 18 and up, parents not allowed to be present at the shoot."

That should cut out the Over-achieving mommy BS.
    The problem with that is that most seniors are required to have their portraits ready for the yearbook by the first part of November. That means that most of them will still be only 17 when they are having their shoots done.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

paiges is offline rockstar

I read on one photographers website that she leaves the parents at home.
    Paige

"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." ~Roald Dahl

My flickr

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

I thought this was going to be something like "what power reading glasses do you use for editing?"

(+2's)

bhursey is offline The Geeky Photgrapher

Its your job to make the shoots with the less enthusiastic clients good.. General chit chat and learning more about them is good normaly by the end of the shoot we are all cracking up... Yes in most cases girls are easyer but you need to learn to shoot both. Whats this about leaving parents at home? Yah liability risk also if they are under 18 you need an parent to acompany them and also to sign paper work like a model release.
    Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
    Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
    Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
    http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

I don't think it a wise move to be known as a "teen girl photographer" only. That could have long term implications that will haunt you should you ever decide to change your model. And, yes, teen boys can be a PIA to shoot compared to the teen girls. But, as stated above, it's your job as a professional to work through these hurdles. What we have found is if you integrate something the young man is interested in, such as sports gear, dirt bikes, guitars, his pet, his horse, etc, he is more apt to "get into" the session. If in the discovery process with the boy you suspect he is going to be somewhat indifferent about a session, find out what his hobbies and interests are, and work them in.
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com