Close
Close
    timn420 is offline I'm new here!

Default Should I split my website into two?

Hi all,
    For the the last couple of year's I've been shooting theatre and stage performances in my city (population 500K) as well as headshots/portraits of actors/musicians. I really like the exposure it has given me and the work, although it is usually not very lucrative.

I'm also doing senior portraits, weddings, and engagements.

I've been trying to decide if I should split up my website into two different sites. One site, strictly relating to theatre and stage performance, since I have a large portfolio for this. The other site just for weddings/engagements, which I'm still building a portfolio for.

I like the idea of splitting them up, as it seems to target towards a more specific audience and maybe attain a more 'expert' status. I'm known fairly well for working with stage and theatre. However, my portfolio is still small for weddings/engagments, less then 10 weddings last year.

Options

1) have one main site with a landing page that goes to two different sites (weddings or stage/theatre) (bad for SEO?)

2) have one main site containing seperate menus: theatre, perforance, weddings, portraits.

3) have one main site containing seperate menus: theatre, performance, weddings - that contain links that go to different websites.

4) two different sites.

dakwegmo is offline instigator

What advantage do you see in having two separate websites versus just having one?
    [ԯ] marcus
    photoblog | Facebook | flickr | 5∞ px | G+

scootermcq is offline Ad lucem

I would split them....

Most people do not go to department stores for high end products. If you want a cheap boom box, you go to Walmart. If you want a $100,000 home theater you go to a Boutique.

I feel if you try to be a jack of all trades, you devalue your brand name. If you want to appeal to the high end bride as an example, then you need to specialize in weddings (or at least appear to)
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

Brian Headlee is offline Marathon Press

Quote Originally Posted by scootermcq View Post
    I would split them....

Most people do not go to department stores for high end products. If you want a cheap boom box, you go to Walmart. If you want a $100,000 home theater you go to a Boutique.

I feel if you try to be a jack of all trades, you devalue your brand name. If you want to appeal to the high end bride as an example, then you need to specialize in weddings (or at least appear to)
    100% agree! Very well put.