Close
Close
    shnon is offline It's a gold star day...

Default Stopping Business Advice

I just need some advice. I have decided to stop doing wedding and portrait photography. While I did it, it was something that I enjoyed but I didn't want to do it forever. My goal from the beginning was to work for a publication and do more fine art photography. Well, I got a job with a publishing company and I shoot for their magazine and newspaper. I love it and I've been doing my new job full time for about 4 months now. During that time I was still doing the wedding and portrait photography, but now I feel like it is time to stop and focus on my job and doing just the art that I enjoy. In the past few weeks I have referred every inquiry to another photographer that I trust. I plan on keeping my obligations that I have already booked, but am not booking anymore. Here's my question - Should I let my current clients know this? I have two clients left. They are both for weddings and I still have their bridal portraits and weddings to shoot. Both of them are in March. Should I just keep it to myself? I just don't want word to get back to them that would concern them that I might bail. What would you do, or if you have been in this position before, what have you done?

Thank you!

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Be frank, just tell them that you've decided to take another direction in your career and give them the other photographer's contact info.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Biomech is offline World Commended

I'd tell them but reassure them that you will still be doing their booking to the same level as usual including archiving the images etc etc.
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Thank you for your advice. I really think it would be best to tell them. I'm not posting to my blog or facebook like I was before, and I'm anxious to either let the blog and facebook page die a happy death or start posting about what I'm doing at work, with my fine art photography and more personal stuff.

mshockley is offline Take A Shot

Quote Originally Posted by shnon View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I really think it would be best to tell them. I'm not posting to my blog or facebook like I was before, and I'm anxious to either let the blog and facebook page die a happy death or start posting about what I'm doing at work, with my fine art photography and more personal stuff.
    That's not a bad idea--give your FB Page a change of direction, post some different types of things and people will get the idea.

the nature of the game is you will attract what you show on social media sites right, so the average bride will come along and see fine art discussions and postings and move on.

It could actually be in your best interest keep your pages active to maintain contacts as you turn your career in a different direction.

In your opinion, would you begin a new blog or just continue the old one that is full of posts about weddings and portraits? Also, I don't want to start a new facebook page because I don't want to lose all of my followers - should I get rid of all of the wedding and portrait albums or maybe just condense them into, maybe, an album of my favorite wedding shots and an album of my favorite portraits?

I plan on keeping my same web address since it is my name, but I'm really undecided if I should redo my blog.

Thank you so much for your input!!

I've decided to keep my blog and facebook, but I'm undecided on what to do with it. In your opinion, on my blog should I start over or keep building on what I already have? Same with my facebook page. Should I get rid on all of my wedding and portrait albums or maybe have a wedding album that has my favorite wedding shots and a portrait album that has my favorite portriats?

I don't want to make a new facebook page because I don't want to lose all of my followers. I want to keep my same web address because it's my name.

What would you do, or what have you done?

Thanks for the advice!