Close
Close
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    bhursey is offline The Geeky Photgrapher

Quote Originally Posted by Biomech View Post
    A backup camera.
    Thumbs up! Yah you really need a backup of everything truthfully.
    Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
    Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
    Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
    http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

You'll need the ability to change everything on your camera for something that is unfolding in front of you, and you'll only have a few seconds to adapt everything... wait... you missed it... the moment is gone.

With most photography.... we can take our time getting the settings correct... and we can make "test shots" to make sure the lighting is correct, and if it didn't work, we can re-take the shot.

With wedding photography, everything happens fast. The light changes, the shooting background changes, people with different skin tones move in an out frame. You have to move and shoot fast. You have to know your camera controls by touch. You can't even take time to chimp. Just when you think you're doing good, your battery will die or memory card will become full just as the bride and groom start their first dance. Pack some Pepto Bismol in your camera case... you'll need it.
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

metric_photography is offline dPS Forum Member

Wow-- you guys have gotten nicer in the last few months since I've been on here last! As soon as I saw this post, I was preparing for answers like, "5+ years experience", "knowledge", "talent" etc.

I am happy to see that there were a lot of helpful responses! Very refreshing!

My suggestion for the OP is an extra battery and extra cards with a lot of space! Like others have said, everything happens fast and there are no do-overs. It all only happens once! Good Luck!

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Quote Originally Posted by metric_photography View Post
    Wow-- you guys have gotten nicer in the last few months since I've been on here last! As soon as I saw this post, I was preparing for answers like, "5+ years experience", "knowledge", "talent" etc.

I am happy to see that there were a lot of helpful responses! Very refreshing!

My suggestion for the OP is an extra battery and extra cards with a lot of space! Like others have said, everything happens fast and there are no do-overs. It all only happens once! Good Luck!
    That's only because I added my 2 cents worth of advice!
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Jimbarman is offline I'm new here!

Hello I live in Austria and have been asked to be the second camera at a wedding, I have a Canon 7d, what lens would you recommend, the main photographer als has a 7d and uses a 24-70mm Canon l series.
    Thanks for any help, by the way I used to live in Ryton, JIM Email jmsmulholland@gmail.com

sk66 is offline Lovable Contrarian

Quote Originally Posted by Biomech View Post
    A backup camera.
    How about a backup photographer who knows what they are doing...Assuming the couple would be disappointed if they didn't get any good photos.

Metric, does that work?

If it's *really* low key and they aren't particularly concerned (i.e. don't know what a "good" pic is, or it's their 7th marriage and they don't particularly like each other), then extra cards and batteries and go for it. Add more requirements exponentially based upon how much they care/expect.

shnon is offline It's a gold star day...

Quote Originally Posted by moreinmind View Post
    You know what sucks?

Wedding photography.
    I'm a photojournalist for a news publication and I don't get second chances on shots. It's the first frame or nothing. If I don't get the shots I don't have a job. For some reason this is a lot less stressful than any of the two dozen weddings I've done. Weddings are the hardest type of photography I've experienced.

That being said, I would recommend a fast lens, being totally aware of your surroundings and what's going on, shoes that don't squeak and knowing your equipment better than you know yourself and understanding its limitations.

Good Luck!

shawnartistic is offline I'm new here!

Quote Originally Posted by polarismagic View Post
    If a amateur photographer wanted to attempt a low key wedding what are some things needed? What are some ideas on how to get the most out of the pictures? any other hints tips or tricks?
    Hi,
    You should have interest to capture the good moments and fast lenses are also needed.

Page 2 of 2 First 12