Close
Close
    sean13 is offline New Nature Photographer

Default Young and new photographer tryin to make money

Every summer my family take multiple trips to Whiteshell Provincial Park in Manitoba, Canada on camping and kayak trips and every year there's calender and post card worthy locations in the park. And I realize how hard it is for new and especially 14 year old to make money in photography but I was thinking of some ways and one that i thought was actually pretty good was this.

Through out the park there are many little privately owned stores, so if I made a calender of some of the wildlife and landscape and took it to the privately run stores and asking if they'd sell them there (giving them an agreed percent of the money).

My question about this are:
    Is that how you would get it in to stores? Just going in and asking?

How much of the amount should I give them?

And also I know there's Shutterfly to make calenders but to make a normal sized calender is $21.99 CA, which doesnt leave any room for me to make money after giving the store there so does any one know of a website you can make calenders on for a decently low cost but good quality?

Also anything else you think I should know would be great!

I'd also like to say I'm not trying to use photography to make money, I just enjoy it as a hobby but if I could make money doing it that would also be good!

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

The big thing here is figuring out what you can provide that they can't get anywhere else. Pretty much anybody can do exactly what you are suggesting, so you have to stand out somehow. And that's the hard part. Also, even though they may be "privately" owned stores, they may be limited as to what they can sell. There may be contracts with certain vendors and such. Sure, you can ask, but again you have to provide them something that is new or something they can't get anywhere else.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Here in the U.S. you have to apply through the state or National Park Service to become a vendor. Don't know what it's like up North of us here in Washington State.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Thanks to both of you, I'll look in to what's needed to get into the stores.

Biomech is offline World Commended

Something like postcards would do. What you'd do is either sell them to the stores and then they make up their own price to sell them, or give them some samples to sell so they can see how well they do before they buy.

The biggest trouble you'll have is, as you've noticed, it's hard to have things like postcards are calendars made for less than they sell them for. For example, around here many p/cards might sell for 50p, but for me to print them, it might cost me 75p.
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Yeah that is what I'm having troubles finding a relatively cheap place to print them!

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by sean13 View Post
    Yeah that is what I'm having troubles finding a relatively cheap place to print them!
    Yep, hard to compete with the companies that can mass produce them.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

boyomarga is offline I'm new here!

you have to provide them something that is new or something they can't get anywhere else.

Biomech is offline World Commended

Yep, hard to compete with the companies that can mass produce them.
    Of course the other, maybe more viable, option is to look at the back of all the cards, then sell your photos to the postcard/calendar companies
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

The reason I had thought of this is also because I've been into so many of the private and government owned stores and I have never seen a calendar with just pictures of that park and thought I know of many people who love Whiteshell and I think that would by something like this and also just tourist from other provinces and countries that would like something like this to kind of remind of the park and there actually aren't many souvenirs from there that you could get. Also are there any publication companies that would give me the time of day just to tell me where I could find somewhere that would print of 100-300 calendars for relatively cheap??