Close
Close
Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last
    WesFoster is offline Wes Foster

I really hope I haven't given the misconception that I think I can just pick up a camera and suddenly become rich etc, it was simply a vague thread to see where you start with pricing, if I were to begin anything like that. Especially for family & friends because I want to get a fair price for anything that I may do, even if it is simply for the time I'm spending setting up, taking images and then the editing processes.
    I started the thread to see where others had started.
    Plus, I would love to be able to afford to get an array of various equipment - but at the minute I have no money whatsoever, nor the space for any more than I already have.
    I'm not disagreeing in any way, but my camera is the most expensive thing I own, even above my guitars.
    I mean there must be some category for semi pro? Obviously cheaper than someone professional (I gather like yourselves) and an understanding/experienced amateur.

Personally (I will get shot down for this) I think for what I'm doing at the minute, and and at least for the styles I want to emulate, I have an adequate amount of kit.

Wes
    Canon 650D (gripped); Canon EOS 10; Canon Ae-1; Canon 50mm 1.4 USM EF; Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S; Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6; Canon 50mm 1.8mm FD; Canon 28mm 2.8 FD; Vivitar 4.5 80 - 200mm FD;Speedlite 199A; Yonguo YN560-III

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

tsy72001 is offline dPS Forum Member

Your web link does not work. ^^^^^^
    I am no pro, but honestly I would not charge at all for the pics on your tumblr account. Do many free shoots to build your skills. Otherwise, in my opinion, you will do an injustice not only to yourself but your clients. When you charge your expected to take great photos, when there not great you put a bad name out for yourself.
    ~ Canon Rebel T5i ~ EFS IS 18-55mm STM~ VivitarDF-483-CAN ~ Canon EF 70 - 300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM ~

Yeah, the website is still work in progress, and my tumblr only has a couple of portraits form a while ago as well as some of my pinhole photography stuff. They are by no means portfolios, and are mainly for articles - and will be for photography too when I have a larger portfolio, the same with my flickr. All my photos still need converting from DNG to JPEG for any eventual upload.

As I say, I was only querying it to see how others started out professionally... or at least in paid photography. It would only be part time, (if I did decide to start doing it) at cut rates, and I cannot afford to but new kit just yet. Also it would only be after I had made up a portfolio. I'm not saying that I would be jumping into it, regardless of the consequences. I was only wondering about base prices.
    Canon 650D (gripped); Canon EOS 10; Canon Ae-1; Canon 50mm 1.4 USM EF; Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 EF-S; Canon 75-300mm 4-5.6; Canon 50mm 1.8mm FD; Canon 28mm 2.8 FD; Vivitar 4.5 80 - 200mm FD;Speedlite 199A; Yonguo YN560-III

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by WesFoster View Post
    I really hope I haven't given the misconception that I think I can just pick up a camera and suddenly become rich etc, it was simply a vague thread to see where you start with pricing, if I were to begin anything like that. Especially for family & friends because I want to get a fair price for anything that I may do, even if it is simply for the time I'm spending setting up, taking images and then the editing processes.
    I started the thread to see where others had started.
    I will say it again, stop thinking about making any money. Just stop.

At this point you shoot friends and family for practice. And I can tell you this, friends and family are usually the first ones to say "Wow, you're really good, you should go into business", but they are also usually the last ones that are willing to pay you for it.

As far as where others started, most of us started taking pictures because we love it. Many here have been shooting for years and would never consider charging. Most of us have never made a dime off of it. Some of us have been fortunate to make a little here and there at it. And fewer still have been able to make a living off of it. And rarer still are those like Jim, who have made a career of it.

So again, you are less than a year into the hobby of photography, stop thinking of making any money at it.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Again, I was only inquiring, wondering what people on here thought/did. I did not mean it to come out like a career decision (if that's what it came out like).

I reiterate; I am not, and never will expect any money from my photography - it seems to be inferred that I do not do it for the love of the camera, when that is simply not true - I love taking pictures when I can and would continue to do it regardless.

I only inquired to see what others on the forum did. I have had no family/friends naively telling me to 'go into the business'. Recently a record company asked me to do a promotional video for a band that I know (I filmed them for a documentary I am making). I inquired simply in case they asked me to do any photos too, for that band or in the future. As of yet they are not a releasing record label - they have only just set up, therefore I am doing it as a favour, they are not family or friends but at the same time it is not quite a professional relationship.

I was simply wondering what people on the forum thought, or did themselves; I didn't mean it to sound like a career move.
    Please don't quote that and tell me I'm still thinking of money again

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

Again, I was only inquiring, wondering what people on here thought/did. I did not mean it to come out like a career decision (if that's what it came out like).

I reiterate; I am not, and never will expect any money from my photography - it seems to be inferred that I do not do it for the love of the camera, when that is simply not true - I love taking pictures when I can and would continue to do it regardless.

I only inquired to see what others on the forum did. I have had no family/friends naively telling me to 'go into the business'. Recently a record company asked me to do a promotional video for a band that I know (I filmed them for a documentary I am making). I inquired simply in case they asked me to do any photos too, for that band or in the future. As of yet they are not a releasing record label - they have only just set up, therefore I am doing it as a favour, they are not family or friends but at the same time it is not quite a professional relationship.

I was simply wondering what people on the forum thought, or did themselves; I didn't mean it to sound like a career move.
    Please don't quote that and tell me I'm still thinking of money again
    Actually, this is what you asked on your first post:

"Anyway, I digress, I have little to no money constantly and thus want to start using photography to try and get what I can (on top of other work). I am by no means professional, and cannot guarantee great/good pictures but I still think (perhaps naively) if I push myself into it I can do well.

What would you recommend for someone of my experience/ability to charge in case I do get offers? I'm just trying to cover my back now, so that if I do get something I know what I'm charging etc - and can be professional"

Notice the bolded sections. You didn't ask how others started, or where they started. You asked how much someone "of your experience ability" should charge.

And what you have been told is to forget about anything related to charging at this point. After you've been doing this for a few years and have developed your skills, then you can revisit this question. Until then, develop your skills, research the business side of photography, invest time and money, and when you are ready, charge the market rate (as opposed to "cute rates").
    Kevin

NgaiHill is offline Far Too Snap Happy

Hi Wes. There has been a huge amount of excellent advice here and I wholeheartedly agree with all of it.
    But I think you feel like you still don't have the answer you were looking for.
    I'm not in any way, shape or form a professional but here is my two cents......
    Consider doing your shoots for free for now while you gain experience and build a portfolio. This will also get you known around your potential clientele.
    If you absolutely MUST charge something then just charge for your costs - travel costs, film developing, printing costs. Work out what you'd be out of pocket by and just charge that, as the others have said above, you are nowhere near ready to begin charging for your skills.
    LISA
    Canon EOS 600D, 50mm, 18-55mm & 55-250 mm kit lens for the flash stuff.
    Olympus Tough 8010, waterproof, shockproof compact P&S - great for the kids.

Flickr

What would you recommend for someone of my experience/ability to charge in case I do get offers?
    Okay, let me answer this in a different way.

If someone asks what you would charge to shoot...whatever, be honest. Do what I've done several times and tell them that you do not have the skill level to do the job properly. I've been asked by one of my wife's co-workers, who had looked through my pictures, how much I'd charge to shoot her son's basketball team. My response was "I would not be comfortable doing that because that is not where my skills lie. If you want it done right I would suggest looking for a quality professional." I've done the same for engagement photos, senior portraits, etc. Just because someone offers to pay you doesn't mean you have to get paid.
    Kevin

Yeah, I did realise my first post was badly written fairly quickly - and thanks for all the advice. I was more just looking for what people thought would be an acceptable sum for someone just starting out - I mean sort of expenses, then putting money aside for new gear. I will definitely research the business side, as you say, and put together a more structured/confident plan later, when I do have a portfolio etc. I was only putting it up as a thread to try and see what a reasonable amount would be, in context for me in case something does come up that may be paid.

@NgaiHill yeah that is what I'm doing anyway, and it would definitely be more extra costs than anything else if I were to take any payment, also, it would help to be able to have a way to save for new gear.
    Yeah I definitely realise that, I would not charge in vain like that anyway. As I said before - it was just to try and get a feel for what a reasonable amount would be if I were to come across any work anytime.

|FLICKR|TUMBLR|TWITTER|

Yeah, I did realise my first post was badly written fairly quickly - and thanks for all the advice. I was more just looking for what people thought would be an acceptable sum for someone just starting out - I mean sort of expenses, then putting money aside for new gear. I will definitely research the business side, as you say, and put together a more structured/confident plan later, when I do have a portfolio etc. I was only putting it up as a thread to try and see what a reasonable amount would be, in context for me in case something does come up that may be paid.
    And that's why I said, don't get paid yet. Don't even put it out there. If someone asks, tell them you aren't at a place, yet, to get paid. At this point, it is a hobby, and you shouldn't expect it to pay for new gear.

I don't get it. Back in '84 when I got my first SLR (Canon AE-1 Program) I never would have considered making any money with it. Not without spending years learning and developing my skill. And here, after almost 30 years, I am finally starting to make some money with it. So why it is, now, that as soon as someone gets a fancy camera they start thinking about making any money at all? What is it about photography that makes people think that it's easy to make money at?

So Wes, the question to you is this: why do you think you should get paid? What do you have to offer potential clients that they can't do themselves with a fancy camera, or even a camera phone? When you can honestly answer that question, then you may be ready to charge for your services.
    Kevin

Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last