Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    mshockley is offline Take A Shot

Default Portrait Photography and Choice of Cameras

Hello everyone. It's been quite some time since I have made a post here, but I have been trying to stop back through every once in awhile.

Today I really need some input from all you Canon users out there!

To be sure we are clear on my camera uses let me just preface my question by saying I am a family portrait photographer. Babies, Kids, Seniors, Families, Pets.

Okay so here we go: If you were upgrading to a full frame camera today (and the 5D Mark III is out of reach) would you purchase the 5D Mark II or the 6D?

homank76 is offline Please teach me...

According to Dxo just with sensor ratings the 6D is a little better, but I'm sure that there are things that the Mark II offers that the 6D does not.

DxOMark - DxOMark by DxO Labs

mshockley is offline Take A Shot

Quote Originally Posted by homank76 View Post
    According to Dxo just with sensor ratings the 6D is a little better, but I'm sure that there are things that the Mark II offers that the 6D does not.

DxOMark - DxOMark by DxO Labs
    Yes, and that is the problem. I have read so many reviews and reports my head is spinning. One report praises the 6D, the next still says the 5D II is the better camera. Seriously, it's all too much. I've been working all year to buy the 5DII and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS glass, and it's a huge chunk of change for me! I am just about sick with worry on which camera to buy.

homank76 is offline Please teach me...

I'm a Nikon shooter, but am in the same boat as you with the D600 coming out, I currently own the D700 and the picture quality of the D600 is a lot better, but the D600 is missing items the D700 has and I refuse to get the D600 for that fact alone.

If Canon is the same way..Get the Mark II and be done with it.

BuddhaPi is offline Middle School Graduate

hell just switch to Nikon Michelle!!!

you knew I was going there didn't you?
    Nikon D7000:18-105mm VR Kit, Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d AF, Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF, SB600
    Web Design of Palm Beach
    Photo Blog
    Become a Fan on Facebook

MattEthan is offline Storyteller :)

Default 6D is good....

But it sounds to me, looking around, that the 6D isn't great on the outer AF points, and that it does have a slower FPS. For me, neither of those matter, but I guess you've got to work out whats important to you - eg, do you just use the center AF point? then the slight lack in the outer points wouldn't make a difference to you... etc

I haven't heard of many criticisms of the 6D, compared to the 5Dii, but then the 6D hasn't been tried and tested yet, i guess!

Roshenk is online now "f/2.8 and be there"

I have been grappling with that very question, Michelle. I shoot portraits and macro mainly and like you i have decided to go full frame and have been wavering between the 5d2 and the 6 d for weeks. It has gotten harder lately as the 5d2 price here has been dropping ever since the 6d was released.

However, after much debate I have decided to save a little longer and get the 6d. The center focus seems a bit better than the 5d2, the outer points are about the same and the low light performance is significantly better. Plus the built in wifi, micro adjustment, sd card use and the ability to swap focus screens tip the balance for me.

So in about a month I will pick up an 6d and keep my 600d as a backup or for when I need the reach of a crop.
    I shoot Canon and carry Think Tank.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,
    Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye, Samyang 85mm & 35mm f/1.4 MF

ZENFOLIO!....500Px

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

Can't say for sure what I would recommend, but the 5DII also had some focus issues. I would do more research first, but the 6D may be a better budget choice, and better overall
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

I'm looking at the very same question for me, but I don't have act immediately (so less stress).

But, the 5d2 has focus issues and the 6d doesn't. In addition, the 6d has microfocus adjustment. With portraiture, focus is going to be paramount (as far as body features go), so that says to me go with the 6d.

Focus: 6D

The sensor ratings on the 6d appear to be better. But, that's just because of the age. Canon generally puts the best technology into a body regardless of its place in the lineup (size considerations aside). The (lack of) noise ratings appear to be excellent.

Sensor: 6D

The "ruggedness" leans in favor of the 5d, but I suspect that your studio isn't affected by severe weather. So, that and other factors are nice but not necessarily relevant to you.

Bodies tend to show age pretty quickly, like computers. It's good to be reasonably current without getting wrapped around the axle about the very latest features that drive the cost up. (This probably says more about not worrying about the 5d3, which you're not.)

5d2's tend to be used by more avid photographers as opposed to someone who bought a T3i and it sat in a bag with the user having no clue. Not that the 5 compares to a T-anything, but the shutter count is probably going to be higher on a 5d. You won't know how far into its life you're buying.

Of course, the *really* important things for portraiture are lighting and lenses, but that's not going to be a problem with body selection.
    Dave.
    It's not even about the pictures; it's about the memories and communication.

MattEthan is offline Storyteller :)

Quote Originally Posted by Roshenk View Post
    However, after much debate I have decided to save a little longer and get the 6d. The center focus seems a bit better than the 5d2, the outer points are about the same and the low light performance is significantly better. Plus the built in wifi, micro adjustment, sd card use and the ability to swap focus screens tip the balance for me.
    Thats good to know some hands on experience, sounds like the 6D could be a really good buy...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last