Close
Close
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    PixelGun is offline Focal Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by sarahashleyphotos View Post
    Sure they are not from scratch websites but they are very customizable so why not critique them? Text, link, and border colors can be changed. You can add your own image for a background. You can even create custom pages and add your own iframes and html. There are several layout choices which I see the op has not really looked at since the gallery pages are default. Websites should be critiqued on color choice and layout design both of which are customizable with zenfolio.
    Well said Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by MattEthan View Post
    Whilst I don't quite agree with Biomech, I would tend to agree that it would be a good idea to have a 'proper' self hosted site, as you fully own it, and are fully in charge of it - your site can't then put prices up, or change the way it disseminates your marketing efforts I'd advise to do this as soon as you can.

I think your logo is really nice, and your images seem to work together. Just watch out for text formatting in Firefox, OSX the text is not centred.

Hope that helps!
    Nice opinion but some photographers like to have the services that come along with subscription sites. I personally like that file redundancy, ability to host unlimited images, e commence options and order fulfillment. This leaves me more time to practice my passion of photography and spend more time behind the lens rather than playing around with website upgrades, software upgrades, new technology upgrades, problems, backups, and so many others things that I pay less than $8.50 per month for.

As far as you claim of the host marking up prices, I actually like the adjustments done for me because its less work I have to track and maintain and also it keeps me from loosing out of profits because my markup is a percentage based markup.

MattEthan is offline Storyteller :)

Quote Originally Posted by PixelGun View Post

Nice opinion but some photographers like to have the services that come along with subscription sites. I personally like that file redundancy, ability to host unlimited images, e commence options and order fulfillment. This leaves me more time to practice my passion of photography and spend more time behind the lens rather than playing around with website upgrades, software upgrades, new technology upgrades, problems, backups, and so many others things that I pay less than $8.50 per month for.

As far as you claim of the host marking up prices, I actually like the adjustments done for me because its less work I have to track and maintain and also it keeps me from loosing out of profits because my markup is a percentage based markup.
    Never had a problem with Wordpress, nor does it take much time at all. Just a quick calculation done there, and my site only cost me $4.125 per month. Not that I spend $

I spend a morning in early January (3 hours per year) updating the look and feel of my site. With no limits on the number of images.

Wasn't supposed to be a nice opinion, just some helpful info. I'm not sure of the need to be aggressive and suggest that I, and others, don't spend enough time 'behind the lens'. Like I said just trying to be helpful.

PixelGun is offline Focal Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by MattEthan View Post
    Never had a problem with Wordpress, nor does it take much time at all. Just a quick calculation done there, and my site only cost me $4.125 per month. Not that I spend $

I spend a morning in early January (3 hours per year) updating the look and feel of my site. With no limits on the number of images.

Wasn't supposed to be a nice opinion, just some helpful info. I'm not sure of the need to be aggressive and suggest that I, and others, don't spend enough time 'behind the lens'. Like I said just trying to be helpful.
    Aggressive? Not really, I was just giving some of my perspective about the subject. If you choose to take it as aggressive then that's is something you need to deal with.

Funny, your helpful information is still an opinion just as it is your opinions that I was suggesting that other photographers don't spend enough time behind the lens. I was inferring that there are some photographers don't share your opinions and offered an alternative opinion.

And you site only costs $4.25 /mo, but IMO I am getting the better value.

MattEthan is offline Storyteller :)

Quote Originally Posted by PixelGun View Post
    Aggressive? Not really, I was just giving some of my perspective about the subject. If you choose to take it as aggressive then that's is something you need to deal with.

Funny, your helpful information is still an opinion just as it is your opinions that I was suggesting that other photographers don't spend enough time behind the lens. I was inferring that there are some photographers don't share your opinions and offered an alternative opinion.

And you site only costs $4.25 /mo, but IMO I am getting the better value.
    Okay then, I shall humbly bow out at this point.

ashley9078 is offline I'm new here!

wow...this thread went in a whole different direction! LOL

I am not getting into the heated debate going on with whether zenfolio is a good service or not. I am not asking for you to critique the use of zenfolio. I am asking that you critique the way I have it set up, the wording, the images chosen,logo, colors, can you read it/ see everything, does it make sense, the way I am representing myself currently. This site will be used behind an "actual website" that I am in the process of making and will link to this zenfolio store front. I wanted to get my store up and running first as that is where I present my images to clients and sell my products. If you do not critique template style sites then move on and don't look. I really don't need your opinion and snobbery. I am by no means at the level of many photographers on this forum and am striving to improve my work and my presentation every day. All I ask is for some CONSTRUCTIVE help in getting to be the best I can be. This is my passion and I appreciate those who have offered their assistance!

THANKS!!!

Biomech is offline World Commended

Something like your photography?

So why make a umbrella statement basically insulting the 20,000 Wix and Zenfolio users/customers?

Using a word press engine and pre-designed template is the same thing as using Zen or Wix but apparently editing the css or using an HTML editor makes it a hand coded in your head.

funny sh@t
    What the hell are you babbling on about? Forgot to take your meds today or something?
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

karloznz is offline dPS Forum Member

All good - Only thing is the text at bottom of home page is off centered to the right - not sure this is best position for it.

Page 3 of 3 First 123