Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    My4SunshineGirlsNY is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Weddings..how many photos, how long editing?

For those that shoot weddings, I am curious, how many photos do you take, and how many do you keep? Do you edit all the ones you keep or limit the amount you decide to edit? How long do you spend on editing those photos?

scootermcq is online now Ad lucem

I just delivered my last wedding of the year. 432 images to the B&G out of the 1000 or so shot.

It really depends on how long I am there ie prep vs no prep etc.

I import into lightroom and x off the obvious loosers, flash did not fire, oof etc.

I then take another trip through and cull all the ones that I don't like, awkward pose eyes shut etc.

One more trip through to remove duplicates still alive, i.e. took 3 of the same shot and all three are still there. I might keep the best two so they have a choice, but usually only deliver one.

That got me down to my 432. I then do quick exposure, contrast, level horizon etc to make them decent. They go as proofs like that. When they choose what they want in their album and prints, I will give the ones they choose a little extra love before sending them off.
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

bhursey is offline The Geeky Photgrapher

Depends how many photographers are with me. Normally we are in the 1000-3000 range. I try to provide in the range of 500-800.
    Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
    Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
    Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
    http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

Hill Country Hack is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by scootermcq View Post
    I just delivered my last wedding of the year. 432 images to the B&G out of the 1000 or so shot.

It really depends on how long I am there ie prep vs no prep etc.

I import into lightroom and x off the obvious loosers, flash did not fire, oof etc.

I then take another trip through and cull all the ones that I don't like, awkward pose eyes shut etc.

One more trip through to remove duplicates still alive, i.e. took 3 of the same shot and all three are still there. I might keep the best two so they have a choice, but usually only deliver one.

That got me down to my 432. I then do quick exposure, contrast, level horizon etc to make them decent. They go as proofs like that. When they choose what they want in their album and prints, I will give the ones they choose a little extra love before sending them off.
    I like that workflow. Why not view in the grid mode in import and uncheck the obvious losers prior to importing to lessen the import time, or do you find your way works better.

Here's a thread from a few months ago that addressed this question rather exhaustively and somewhat contentiously..

scootermcq is online now Ad lucem

Quote Originally Posted by Niresangwa View Post
    Here's a thread from a few months ago that addressed this question rather exhaustively and somewhat contentiously..
    Party pooper.... now we miss out on all the fun again.
    Scott
    Nikon D700, D300, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, 35-70 f2.8, 80-200 f2.8

bhursey is offline The Geeky Photgrapher

I know right? :P
    Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
    Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
    Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
    http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

MattEthan is offline Storyteller :)

Haha! Definitely contentious!

ajax_andy is offline dPS +1000 Club

I just browsed at the 1st 2 pages of that thread and it's exactly the same thread I've read on other forums too... lots in the 500+ camp and plenty in the under 500 camp... I guess it will always come down to personal preference at the end of the day. As long as you supply enough images to tell the story of the day then people will be happy.

Speaking from personal experience the tog who shot my wedding supplied us with about 550 - 600 pics from 6 hours of shooting. I found the process of going through them tedious and boring. As a result I usually supply about 250 images... that's because I think you can easily tell the story of the day in that amount of images and stops the process of going through the images from being a laborious task.

Others will disagree but as I said as long as you tell the full story of the day then quantity of images isn't important imo. If I had 500 amazing shots I'd give the couple 500... there's no real magic number though and if I only had 200 good shots (I've shot some weddings where hardly anyone smiled the whole day and even finding 200 pics was hard) I'd not 'fluff' out the number of pics with fillers just to make up the numbers

Rentham is offline Everything is permissible

Shot 1154 at my last wedding, delivered 285. I think my biggest delivery this year was in the 550 range. All depends on the flow of the day, locations, etc.

As far as processing the wedding, I let all the automated stuff happen overnight: ingest, render 1:1 previews, etc. Once that's finished I can usually turn around a wedding in 3-5 hours.That including album design/ordering, blog post, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last