Close
Close

Thread: Lens advice

habed is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Lens advice

Hey everybody, hope you´re doing fine.

I do weddings and own 2 Canon 60D, a 50mm f1.8, 70-200mm f2.8 L, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 and the kit lens 18-200 4.5-5.6

The 70-200 is my newest and frankly, the quality of the lens is just superb. I can see a huge difference in every aspect compared to all the others, even the 50mm f1.8

So my question is, if you have to buy a new lens, which one would it be? I was thinking about the 24-70 f2.8 L the only con is, is really expensive but is on my list of options.

Sorry, a second question I like the quality of my Sigma 10-20, but what about the quality of their 24-70 2.8?? or the 50mm 1.2?? is it comparable to the Canon L series?

Thank you in advance for your kind advices.
    Visit me http://500px.com/haphotographer
    Like me http://www.facebook.com/HAphotographer
    2 Canon 60D; Canon EF-S 50mm f1.8, EF L 70-200mm f2.8 and Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, 2 Canon Speedlite 580 ex ii

Roshenk is online now "f/2.8 and be there"

You have a pretty solid spread of zoom lenses so I would wait to see what need presents itself rather then just buying a lens based on repute and a desire to buy something.

First I would consider your shooting style. First do you prefer zooms or are you open to learn the subtly different world of primes? Do you shoot landscapes? If so, consider the ultra wide primes or a fisheye lens. Do you shoot portraits? Then consider one of the mid-telephoto primes like an 85mm or 135mm. D you shoot birds and animals? Then look at long telephotos like the 400mm.

Also, consider what focal range you shoot at most often with your primes and concentrate on the lenses that suit that distance.

Lastly, I think you mean the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, yes? I have one and it is one of my most used lens. It has a character and feel to it that I did not find in the canon 50s which always seem a bit cold and workmanlike to me, through I have never shot with the f/1.2. It is called the Sigmaluxe for good reason...however it is a famously persnickety lens and has been known to have problems focusing both within 5m and beyond 15m. If you want a distinctive, very fast short prime with style and and amazing bokeh to use for portraits or on occasion, the by all means try the sigma (though I would STRONGLY suggest buying it at a real live shop with a good return policy)...if you want a dependable 50mm walk around for all situations, that just isnt the Sigmaluxe. Look at the canon 1.4...or consider the more expensive new sigma 35mm that is getting raves and is on my short list of new acquisitions I have to buy.
    I shoot Canon and carry Think Tank.
    Canon 6D... EF 135mm f/2L, EF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO, MP-E 65mm MACRO, EF 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Sigmalux, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 200mm F/2.8L,
    Lensbaby Composer Pro 50mm/Edge 80/Fisheye, Samyang 85mm & 35mm f/1.4 MF

ZENFOLIO!....500Px