Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    KiranPatelphotography is offline Young Photographer

Default Once Again, critique my site?

Already posted a thread about mine, but no replies . I would really like your help!

Everyone else is doing it, so I will to :ap

Please Critique my site, you can find it in my signature or visit Kiran Patel Photography

I have recently updated my website. Please note this is a small gallery Not a professional business and I do not in anyway try to make money from advertising or business on the website.... I believe in big and bold rather than complicated and distracting, so my themes will remain basic, I only really want the layout judged.

Thinks to comment on?

-Layout
    -Infomation [This is located in my homepage, Please read the HomePage which will come up when entering the site, named "About My Portfolio"]
    -Pictures (Obviously)

***I will not be buying a Domain Address, sorry, I will when I start creating a website for my business***

Briefly touched this, but it is an informal site. I dont need a domain Becuase it is more of a gallery website, most of my visors have been linked to it (like this thread) and is here mostly to get my content out.

You can stil judge these thing I have said I'm not bothered about. or if you couldn't be bothered to read all this, I will read it anyway and take it onto account, Thankyou for your consideration!
    I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.
    See my Flickr for more of my work.

rcooper102 is offline dPS Forum Member

Buy a domain. They are $10/year. It is the cost of lunch. The older your domain the more time it has to build rank on google. Start building the ranking as soon as possible.

Lose the falling snow effect. It is way too 1995.

There is no photography on the homepage of your photography portfolio. Instead you greet the user with a big wall of text. Viewers don't really care about anything contained in that text. Show us an image.

All that nav on the left side is fine for the blog section. Get rid of it for the homepage and gallery, it is only competing for your viewer's attention and drawing their eye away from your work. Make the main content section wider instead so your images can display larger.

Turn off comments until you have pretty good traffic. Having an empty comment form with no comments on every page tells everyone that visits your site that your traffic is next to nothing. Especially turn off the comment counter bubble thing.

For the same reason turn off the counters in your sharing buttons. You only want to brag about that sort of thing when the number is big.

@KiranPatelPhoto in the header needs to be a clickable link that sends the user to your twitter page.

You need about and contact pages.

Blog should not come before Gallery in your navigation. The gallery is the most important part of your site.

I could go on with a bunch of technical nitty gritty but that is probably not something you can change.

Thank you for your honest opinion I have updated the website so If you can please check it again?
    Quote Originally Posted by rcooper102 View Post
    -Lose the falling snow effect. It is way too 1995.
    -There is no photography on the homepage of your photography portfolio. Instead you greet the user with a big wall of text.
    -All that nav on the left side is fine for the blog section. Get rid of it for the homepage and gallery.
    -For the same reason turn off the counters in your sharing buttons. You only want to brag about that sort of thing when the number is big.
    -@KiranPatelPhoto in the header needs to be a clickable link that sends the user to your twitter page.
    -You need about and contact pages.
    -Blog should not come before Gallery in your navigation. The gallery is the most important part of your site.
    1) Removed Snow Effect.
    2) Changed the design and made my photos the home page.
    3) Removed Nav and Sidebars
    4) I think my share buttons are removed
    5) I did this in my information and changed by tagging completely.
    6) Created "About Me" and "Website Navagation" pages for information sections.
    7) Leading from above, gallery and photos become before the info.

Hopefully it stands out more now, just editing these i realise that I should've done this first!
    I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

You need to fix all of your spelling and grammatical errors. These automatically make you site look half-hearted and amateurish. You have misspelled words, random capitalization, bad grammar, and even two words shoved together.

Here's an example with corrections in red

"Welcome to my Portfolio! I Am a Young Photographer and looking to take the skill for GCSE. Any critics will be thanked for and ideas will be useful!"

"Welcome to my portfolio. I am a young photographer who is looking to learn the skill for the GCSE. Any critique and ideas would be helpful."

Your website is what people will first see, and it will be their first impression of you. If you can't take the time to make sure that your text is grammatically correct and spelling is accurate, then why should anyone bother with the rest?

The only things that should be capitalized are proper nouns (names, etc) and the first word of each sentence!! And yes, "I" needs to be capitalized at all times.

And I hate all the blank space on the right side of the page. If you are going to use small images, then have multiple columns. Also, make sure that the images you show are your absolute best. Several of the ones you have are over exposed, out of focus or are lacking a solid subject. Again, remember that your website is where people will get their first impression of you.
    Last edited by veritasimagery; 12-08-2012 at 12:27 AM.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

Biomech is offline World Commended

learn the skill for the GCSE.
    Grammatical in/correct or not, there's no "the GCSE" when spoken, it would just be "for GCSE", "for my GCSE" or "for (my) GCSE's"
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Quote Originally Posted by Biomech View Post
    Grammatical in/correct or not, there's no "the GCSE" when spoken, it would just be "for GCSE", "for my GCSE" or "for (my) GCSE's"
    Okay, since I'm not British that's my mistake.

What the heck is GCSE anyway?
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Biomech View Post
    Oh the irony...

Quote Originally Posted by veritasimagery View Post
    What the heck is GCSE anyway?
    It's a subject-specific culmination examination taken in the final year of secondary school.. General Certificate of Secondary Education, successor to the "O" Level.

Ok everyone, thankyou for all of your feedback. This is what I have done:

I have changed my builder and built a new site, I am now using webs, as blog style wordpress is annoying.
    Look here to see it: KiranPatelPhotography

This is why I have used webs, and what I have edited:
    -Easier Module Applying (e.g I have now easily added images to my text to make it more professional)
    -Disabled the optional like, comment and share modules.
    -much better layout
    -only uploaded my best images
    -professional gallery
    -No more blog and irritating posts
    -Rebuilt pages so hopefully grammar errors are fixed.
    -No Stupid mistakes
    -contact form
    -smaller domain but not my own yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Niresangwa View Post
    It's a subject-specific culmination examination taken in the final year of secondary school.. General Certificate of Secondary Education, successor to the "O" Level.
    "General Certificate of Secondary Education" - Sounds like our SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). And here in the US it would be considered a singular, proper noun. Therefore it is grammatically correct to say "I am studying for the SAT". Would that not also be correct if the GCSE is an exam? Even though it may be possessive, it is also singular, so both "my GCSE" and "the GCSE" should be correct. But eliminating either "my" or "the" would be incorrect. When using acronyms, to find the proper grammar, you must consider them as if they were written out in their entirety. Therefore "I am studying for General Certificate of Secondary Education" is grammatically wrong. You wouldn't be studying for Certificate, you would be studying for a Certificate, or the Certificate, or my Certificate.

It's like saying "PIN number" or "VIN number". Since the word "number" is part of the acronym, including it again is grammatically wrong. It doesn't matter how many people say it that way, it is still not good grammar.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KiranPatelphotography View Post
    Ok everyone, thankyou for all of your feedback. This is what I have done:

I have changed my builder and built a new site, I am now using webs, as blog style wordpress is annoying.
    Look here to see it: KiranPatelPhotography

This is why I have used webs, and what I have edited:
    -Easier Module Applying (e.g I have now easily added images to my text to make it more professional)
    -Disabled the optional like, comment and share modules.
    -much better layout
    -only uploaded my best images
    -professional gallery
    -No more blog and irritating posts
    -Rebuilt pages so hopefully grammar errors are fixed.
    -No Stupid mistakes
    -contact form
    -smaller domain but not my own yet.
    You still misspelled whether. And it should be "I am only at a beginner level." Also, eliminate the "s" at the end of "Contact" in your "About Me" page. Yes, this may be picky, but it's the details that make a difference.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 Last