Close
Close
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    KiranPatelphotography is offline Young Photographer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by veritasimagery View Post
    Therefore it is grammatically correct to say "I am studying for the SAT". Would that not also be correct if the GCSE is an exam? Even though it may be possessive, it is also singular, so both "my GCSE" and "the GCSE" should be correct. But eliminating either "my" or "the" would be incorrect.
    Here in England we tend to use "for" GCSE. As meaning "General Certificate of Secondary Examination," "the" or "my" would be grammatically correct. Although, as a big thing in the UK, we tend to use it as a noun in terms of it being a person:

-"for the teacher"
    -"for GCSE"

We only use "the" if its an opinion or past tense, and "for" in the future tense:

"I am proud of THE GCSE's last year" "I like THE range of GCSE's."
    "I will learn photography FOR GCSE".

I know it follows NO rules of English, but we're British, (okay, we invented the language, but what do you expect?)

BUT...moving back to why this discussion came to be. I might not need to replace it to "the" because it isn't a business website so it doesn't need to be perfection. But as a worldwide website I should. And if it was a business website, my customers will be from the UK, and to us, "for" is technically correct.

You still misspelled whether. And it should be "I am only at a beginner level." Also, eliminate the "s" at the end of "Contact" in your "About Me" page. Yes, this may be picky, but it's the details that make a difference.
    That is why I created this thread, so you guys can be picky and critique my website. Thanks for spotting this, I shall fix it now.
    I am a young, beginner photographer with an interest in garden and trick photography.
    See my Flickr for more of my work.

"General Certificate of Secondary Education" - Sounds like our SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). And here in the US it would be considered a singular, proper noun. Therefore it is grammatically correct to say "I am studying for the SAT". Would that not also be correct if the GCSE is an exam? Even though it may be possessive, it is also singular, so both "my GCSE" and "the GCSE" should be correct. But eliminating either "my" or "the" would be incorrect. When using acronyms, to find the proper grammar, you must consider them as if they were written out in their entirety. Therefore "I am studying for General Certificate of Secondary Education" is grammatically wrong. You wouldn't be studying for Certificate, you would be studying for a Certificate, or the Certificate, or my Certificate.
    Well, I wasn't pulling you up or getting involved with the pedantry, just explaining what it was. They're similar to the SAT or ACT only in the sense that they're a national bench-mark assessment for moving on to tertiary education, though conventionally graded, not a numerical score, and are taken at 16, not 18.

Out of interest though, it's quite rare that it's used in a singular sense in the common vernacular, and is much more commonly referred to as a plural, (given they're subject specific and you take a bunch of them, I believe 9 is (or was) the standard). If it is used as a singular noun it is almost always combined with the discipline, such as GCSE French, etc.

Biomech is offline World Commended

Yeah what he said ^^

GCSE's are the end of high school exams you take after the teachers spend several years scaring you into thinking they are actually important.

As a general rule, you need decent grades in GCSE to get into college (for) - decent A Levels to get into Uni. If there is any importance at all, it's that they act as a gateway to further education.
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

veritasimagery is offline I'm one of "those" people

Quote Originally Posted by Biomech View Post
    Yeah what he said ^^

GCSE's are the end of high school exams you take after the teachers spend several years scaring you into thinking they are actually important.

As a general rule, you need decent grades in GCSE to get into college (for) - decent A Levels to get into Uni. If there is any importance at all, it's that they act as a gateway to further education.
    Interesting. I had heard of this a bit. Is it true that if you don't get decent enough grades then you cannot go further in your education? If so, that's kinda sad. Here in the States, the SAT's will help you get into better colleges and universities, but we also have community colleges that allow anyone to get higher education and get two-year (Associate's) degrees. From there you can go onto the four year colleges and universities. But there are no requirements to take the SAT to go to college or university.
    Kevin
    Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS T3i, Canon A-1, Canon AE-1 Program, Various lenses
    http://500px.com/VeritasImageryNW/photos
    http://veritasimagerynw.smugmug.com/

tsy72001 is offline dPS Forum Member

Can not view the gallery on iPad. And the grammar stinks. The very first paragraph is awful.
    ~ Canon Rebel T5i ~ EFS IS 18-55mm STM~ VivitarDF-483-CAN ~ Canon EF 70 - 300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM ~

Biomech is offline World Commended

Interesting. I had heard of this a bit. Is it true that if you don't get decent enough grades then you cannot go further in your education? If so, that's kinda sad. Here in the States, the SAT's will help you get into better colleges and universities, but we also have community colleges that allow anyone to get higher education and get two-year (Associate's) degrees. From there you can go onto the four year colleges and universities. But there are no requirements to take the SAT to go to college or university.
    It's kind of the same here, there are plenty of apprenticeships/internships, community ("Tech") colleges etc too. A college college is, generally, for people out of highschool whereas "tech" colleges also run adult courses, evening courses etc etc and often have a wider range of courses
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Page 2 of 2 First 12