Close
Close
    Hill Country Hack is offline dPS +1000 Club

Default Web Search Results

I want for folks to see my web page if they type certain keywords into a search engine. I currently have a domain name, web page set up through smugmug. There is an area in the account to enter "Homepage Meta Keywords" and "Homepage Meta Description". Am I correct in thinking if I fell those areas with words to describe the type of photos (landscapes, structures, Texas wildflowers etc.) When folks search those terms my site should show up?

I know one can pay for increased search visibility. What are the best/better ways for cheap ba$tards like me?

Biomech is offline World Commended

Yes and no.
    Often mass produced website services rank lower, because they can be mass produced and spammed easy etc etc. Meta data isn't as important as it once was, and stuffing keywords (keyword stuffing funnily enough) gets you penalised by Google - even though some people do it and seem to always get away with it which really winds me up.

You want to fill the pages with natural text that includes the keywords and keyphrases - about a 4.5% density is good.

Overall your absolute best bet is to target specifics, areas, styles etc. Because there are.... 1.5billion results for "photography" on Google (UK) right now.

Top Tip; don't pay SEO people who claim to get you to the top of Google. There's one spot and billions of people want it - why would you be the one? They get you there for stupid search terms and also through adwords.
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

karloznz is offline dPS Forum Member

Hill Country Hack is offline dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by Biomech View Post
    Yes and no.
    Often mass produced website services rank lower, because they can be mass produced and spammed easy etc etc. Meta data isn't as important as it once was, and stuffing keywords (keyword stuffing funnily enough) gets you penalised by Google - even though some people do it and seem to always get away with it which really winds me up.

You want to fill the pages with natural text that includes the keywords and keyphrases - about a 4.5% density is good.

Overall your absolute best bet is to target specifics, areas, styles etc. Because there are.... 1.5billion results for "photography" on Google (UK) right now.

Top Tip; don't pay SEO people who claim to get you to the top of Google. There's one spot and billions of people want it - why would you be the one? They get you there for stupid search terms and also through adwords.
    Quote Originally Posted by karloznz View Post
    I have purchased this guide been very helpful

SEO For Photographers | The Photographers SEO Community
    Thanks. Good stuff from you both.

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

Good content and links in and out from other good sites are the best things to help your search rankings but there is no guarantee. In fact, with Google and other search engines now making efforts to provide personalised results, you can't even be sure that if you see at site as #1 that somebody else will get the same.

If you are trying to run a site to sell your photos and your photography skills, then one thing to strongly consider is including your location; you are more likely to get hired to photograph local events and at least that gives you a boost for people getting personalised results that include their location (and the many who will search for something like "photographer oxford uk", for example).

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Wulf, since when have you been from Oxford? :O

wulf is offline Ninja Moderator

A mere four years or so...

Wulf
    Wulf Forrester-Barker << Sites: blog / flickr >>
    Gear: Nikon D40, Nikon AFS 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G, Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8, Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro, Raynox DCR-250, Lensbaby 2.0k, SB600

Uuuuhhhhhhhh I see