Close
Close
Page 7 of 7 First ... 567
  1. #61
    sk66's Avatar
    sk66 is online now Lovable Contrarian
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    14,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzetsin View Post
    The color of the color version is a little strange... good, but I don't know how it'll look on a non calibrated monitor, it might look horrible.
    Most of the color images have a blue/magenta cast to them on my monitor...

    The lighting of the cross during the ceremony was horrendous! Kept making me think of a burning cross... Not that there was anything you could do about it...

  2. #62
    ajax_andy's Avatar
    ajax_andy is offline dPS +1000 Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    I have to say I'm very impressed by the images! Well done

    I do have a few points that don't really work for me... one is the over use of vignette and the other is that they come across as almost sepia but not quite but at the same time don't look exactly black and white.

    I think the images are great but the processing is just letting them down maybe by 10%... still great shots don't get me wrong but I think you could make them even better by making them more high contrast B&W

  3. #63
    Tzetsin's Avatar
    Tzetsin is online now dPS +1000 Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sk66 View Post
    Most of the color images have a blue/magenta cast to them on my monitor...

    The lighting of the cross during the ceremony was horrendous! Kept making me think of a burning cross... Not that there was anything you could do about it...
    Your right about the cross lol. I didn't even think about it until i got editing it how ugly the light was. That big rid wall in general is kinda not so good... makes good bw, but thats about it lol.

    Is the magenta/blue color cast on all the color images or just the one of the girl crying and the dancing one i posted here? there was a huge blue light on stage and colored strobes for dancing in those shots which explains the cast. Not in the church though.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajax_andy View Post
    I have to say I'm very impressed by the images! Well done

    I do have a few points that don't really work for me... one is the over use of vignette and the other is that they come across as almost sepia but not quite but at the same time don't look exactly black and white.

    I think the images are great but the processing is just letting them down maybe by 10%... still great shots don't get me wrong but I think you could make them even better by making them more high contrast B&W
    Allright alright... I'll see what I can do about the vignette... but not on all of em ;D just the ones that mayyybe didn't need so much.

    The color cast on the bw shots was a conscious decision. I've got a mild brown tint on them. I tried it strait up bw, but with the amount of noise in some of them I really didn't like how they looked. I find the brown gives it an old time feel which is enhanced by the noise. The noise simply detracts from the image without it. The tint also helps with consistency and ties all of them together.

    I'm glad you liked them otherwise ;D



    Hows that instead?

  4. #64
    Bruce A's Avatar
    Bruce A is offline dPS +1000 Club
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Qld Australia
    Posts
    7,735

    Default

    Great job J - I think it takes a bit (or a lot) of guts to take on your first wedding. Anyway, for the slight sepia tint, I think your shots take on a bit of the the fifties look, but I like it and don't think it was overdone. The vignetting works for me and would have to see some comparisons to see whether less is best or not. Admirable job my friend!
    Nikon D810, MD-12 Grip, Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikon AF-S 16-35 f/4G ED, Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F/2.8G ED VRll, Nikon AF-S 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 G ED VRlll, Nikon AF-S 105mm Micro f/2.8 if-ED, SB-600, SB-910, Nikon T14E teleconverter, Benro tripod.
    My flickr
    My 500px store

  5. #65
    RichardTaylor is offline dPS +1000 Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,829

    Default

    Youi did well. Congratulations and it is a good series.

  6. #66
    ajax_andy's Avatar
    ajax_andy is offline dPS +1000 Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    Posts
    2,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzetsin View Post
    Your right about the cross lol. I didn't even think about it until i got editing it how ugly the light was. That big rid wall in general is kinda not so good... makes good bw, but thats about it lol.

    Is the magenta/blue color cast on all the color images or just the one of the girl crying and the dancing one i posted here? there was a huge blue light on stage and colored strobes for dancing in those shots which explains the cast. Not in the church though.



    Allright alright... I'll see what I can do about the vignette... but not on all of em ;D just the ones that mayyybe didn't need so much.

    The color cast on the bw shots was a conscious decision. I've got a mild brown tint on them. I tried it strait up bw, but with the amount of noise in some of them I really didn't like how they looked. I find the brown gives it an old time feel which is enhanced by the noise. The noise simply detracts from the image without it. The tint also helps with consistency and ties all of them together.

    I'm glad you liked them otherwise ;D



    Hows that instead?
    Yeah that looks better

    With regards noise I'm not sure what you're abilities are photoshop wise but if you duplicate the background layer, then go to 'filters', select High Pass, set to about 5 then go to 'Image', 'Adjustments' and select 'Invert' this will soften the whole image are remove the noise.

    Next create a layer mask for this duplicate layer and paint back in the bits of the image using a black brush set to 100% that you want to be sharp and not soft.

    Not sure if you know that already, or whether that's over your head, you may not even use photoshop and so all of the above is null and void lol... but thought I'd mention it anyway as it's a very useful noise reduction technique in case you ever get roped in to doing another wedding (you should do more as the images are really great).

  7. #67
    bhursey's Avatar
    bhursey is offline The Geeky Photgrapher
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakwood Ga
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzetsin View Post



    Hows that instead?
    Much Much much much better
    Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
    Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
    Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
    http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

Page 7 of 7 First ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in