Close
Close
Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last
  1. #11
    graciousness's Avatar
    graciousness is offline Passed Use-By-Date
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzetsin View Post
    Lol you guys...

    I've seen a zillion people roll through here with this same issue and its always " stay away! " lol but now you guys are encouraging.

    The wedding is in September so I'd have a few months to practice and learn the shotlist... perhaps I should just do it and take the money I'll save and get myself a used 200mm F2.0 or 300mm F2.8 lol (yea right)

    Maybe I'll think about it for a couple days.

    Any thoughts on lighting? I've got speedlights and remote triggers, should I have an "assistant" running around with a wireless strobe maybe? (if i decide to do it?)

    My new camera should show up by then too. I think it has a "wedding" mode that guarantees perfect composition, moments and sharpness as long as you are shooting .jpg... ;D
    Honestly, if you have speedlights already, I wouldn't worry about anything else. Well, aside from having 2 bodies and at least 2 lenses which you already have. Keep it simple. You don't want to be bombarded with too many lenses and equipments. Have 2 primary lenses, have your 2 cameras with you attached with speedlights. Have spare batteries and cards, then you're good to go. I personally wouldn't go for primes but something like the 24-70 and 70-200 to be flexible and then you won't need to change lenses.

    Find out about the lighting situations (venues, etc). Then plan around that.

    Then practice doing your candid shots and semi posed shots.

    What I would do if I were you is do an 'engagement' or pre session with the couple. That way you get your practice and they get to see what it will be like with you. If you end up liking the results (with all parties involved) then great! If you guys don't, then time for plan B.

    I think you should have an assistant and or second shooter. Her other cousin can be the second shooter. You should have an assistant. I wouldn't personally have your assistant carry a remote wireless flash around unless you work with someone and you have a seemless way of working together.

    Depending on your style, I would use fill flash for outdoors and bounce flash for indoors. For group shots, probably that would be the only time I would use lights on stands to ensure everyone gets even lighting. You want to be mobile so practice fill flash (perhaps with an L bracket?) and bounce.

    Prepare with your shoot plan/schedule prior to the wedding. Have it all in your head. But then let it all go on the day of the wedding and go with the flow. Just be there and go within the moment. You'll be a fly on the way and be that 'editorial' or 'photojournalist' recording a very important event.

    I think that's about the only and best advice I can give. Hope it helps.

  2. #12
    Tzetsin's Avatar
    Tzetsin is offline dPS +1000 Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,608

    Default

    Thank you for the advice

    The more I think about it, the more I think that I don't want to do it. I've never been the kind that wanted to shoot for kudos, nor need a pat on the back. As far as I'm concerned, I suck behind a camera, so I've always shot for myself, for fun. Not that I don't want to get better, I do! But I'm just not there yet.

    If I shoot the wedding It'll mark only the second time I've set up to shoot for someone else. The other time was for the same cousin, I shot family photos for her. This is why she's on me to shoot the wedding. Free family photos is sooooo not the same thing as a wedding.

    I'm weak in all the areas that you need to be strong in to be a wedding photographer. Lighting, composition, watching for moments... I'm fair at shooting in low light and strong in editing, but you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop, no matter how hard you try, belieeeeeve meeee. This guys knows.

    All that said... If i don't shoot it I'm out 3k.

    I guess I have until September to get at least fair at those things I'm weak in. I'm the kind of person that would rather give them nothing than something I wasn't proud of, and I can't give them nothing... So I guess I'll just have to make sure I'm proud of em....

    I suppose I don't need anymore advice than whats been given. This subjects come up so many times that I'm sure you could write a book using all the replies from previous threads lol Just have to type into search "help wedding" and blow my mind.

  3. #13
    smordant's Avatar
    smordant is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Burien, WA, USA
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Be interesting in hearing your experience if you do it. Good luck either way.
    Mik, a limey in the USA.


    500px.com

  4. #14
    GTAltman is offline dPS Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Here's what I see though...you care about her deeply - and you should because she's family and you don't want to see her her and disappointed, no matter HOW correct you will be.

    I would do this...

    I'd shoot the wedding, but not tell her I'm shooting the wedding.
    If she comes back and raves about the shots, then congratulate her.
    If she comes back crying, hand her what you have and want to give her.

    Even if you capture one shot that she can use as a Thank You, then you've saved her bacon!

    My recommendation puts no pressure on you, is nothing more than an insurance policy, and if you don't like the shots, tell her you got nuttin'.

    All the best on whatever you decide.

    Gary

  5. #15
    BigFuzzy's Avatar
    BigFuzzy is offline Cookie Eating Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Under a bridge, somewhere in northern Europe.
    Posts
    3,529

    Default

    If she means so much to you, you can fly ME out there, house me in a nice hotel, and cover daily costs, and I'll do it. No cash charged....however..

    Where's "there" anyways?

    Oh, and only 4 stars minimum hotel, with a bottle of something good waiting for me in the room.

    Plus a driver.

    Some attractive company wouldn't hurt either.. you know, as an ..uh.. assistant (no, YOU don't count).

    Oh, and I only fly 1st class.

    Plus I need you to rent me a whole set of kit.. you know, as backup.

    There, you're covered. You're welcome.
    Either do it full bore, or run away. But either way Jason, pretty ...unsmart(!) to promise to take care of it. hahah

  6. #16
    bhursey's Avatar
    bhursey is offline The Geeky Photgrapher
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakwood Ga
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    Ohh one more thing. If you can go to the rehearsal do that! I call it my ceremony practice run. I ask to have the lights the same and so on then shoot it like I shoot the wedding that way I have an game plan on where I will be and what order things go in. Also I can check my settings and tweek if something goes wrong. Saved me once because in my second wedding I thought I was where I needed to be and every shot of the procession had motion blur so I had to bump the iso up a stop and then bring the shutter speed up.

    Also go to bed early and take tylonal PM. its the only way I have been able to sleep at least 5 hours before one because of nerves.
    Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
    Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
    Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
    http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

  7. #17
    andrewdt's Avatar
    andrewdt is offline Andrew
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    939

    Default

    Everyone who asks if they're ready to do a wedding are usually not. And by a long way. I think it is obvious that you are on the opposite side of that scale and would by all measures of your existing work do a sterling job. Your attitude is 100% understood though. Maybe below is just the answer - you won't get all the shots you want if you;re not the main photographer, but you could possibly scrape about 50-60% of what you would have liked by using the below suggestion?


    Quote Originally Posted by GTAltman View Post

    I would do this...

    I'd shoot the wedding, but not tell her I'm shooting the wedding.
    If she comes back and raves about the shots, then congratulate her.
    If she comes back crying, hand her what you have and want to give her.

    Even if you capture one shot that she can use as a Thank You, then you've saved her bacon!

    My recommendation puts no pressure on you, is nothing more than an insurance policy, and if you don't like the shots, tell her you got nuttin'.
    Canon EOS 7D + 20D, 70-200mm F4, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 50mm F1.4, 550EX.

  8. #18
    UlpilotSC's Avatar
    UlpilotSC is offline Insert title here
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTAltman View Post
    Here's what I see though...you care about her deeply - and you should because she's family and you don't want to see her her and disappointed, no matter HOW correct you will be.

    I would do this...

    I'd shoot the wedding, but not tell her I'm shooting the wedding.
    If she comes back and raves about the shots, then congratulate her.
    If she comes back crying, hand her what you have and want to give her.

    Even if you capture one shot that she can use as a Thank You, then you've saved her bacon!

    My recommendation puts no pressure on you, is nothing more than an insurance policy, and if you don't like the shots, tell her you got nuttin'.


    All the best on whatever you decide.

    Gary
    I love that idea. You're not committing to anything, so no one can blame you if it's screwed up.
    My sister asked me to shoot her wedding. She was doing a cheapy beach wedding package and didn't want to spend the extra $100 for the photographer, since "you have a nice camera". I told her that was a bit more responsibility than I wanted. She's sort of a pain in the ass and very stubborn.
    She wound up paying for the photographer and got all the family-on-the-beach shots. I stayed out of the way, didnt take any pictures. That was basically all the photog was contracted for, but she went to the reception for the free food (and she rode with the minister) and took a few pictures. I did take some shots that I set up, and the photog would run over to take a shot of my setup. It was pretty funny.
    But it gave me a cheap Christmas present, I blew one of mine up to 16x20 and said "hear you go".
    And since I had to drive 600 miles, give up a week of vacation time, and spend a lot of money just to stay there, I kept the damn towels I bought for her. They were nice towels.
    -----------------------------------------
    Canon T1i 18-35mm, 50mm, 28mm, 100-500mm and some other stuff.
    Please don't read my blog!

  9. #19
    Tzetsin's Avatar
    Tzetsin is offline dPS +1000 Club
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smordant View Post
    Be interesting in hearing your experience if you do it. Good luck either way.
    I'll keep an update on my progress here

    Quote Originally Posted by GTAltman View Post
    Here's what I see though...you care about her deeply - and you should because she's family and you don't want to see her her and disappointed, no matter HOW correct you will be.

    I would do this...

    I'd shoot the wedding, but not tell her I'm shooting the wedding.
    If she comes back and raves about the shots, then congratulate her.
    If she comes back crying, hand her what you have and want to give her.

    Even if you capture one shot that she can use as a Thank You, then you've saved her bacon!

    My recommendation puts no pressure on you, is nothing more than an insurance policy, and if you don't like the shots, tell her you got nuttin'.

    All the best on whatever you decide.

    Gary
    I already told her I would do it she was very very happy. all giggly and laughing and stuff. I feel bad for her cause she thinks shes getting this "great" photographer for her wedding lol

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFuzzy View Post
    If she means so much to you, you can fly ME out there, house me in a nice hotel, and cover daily costs, and I'll do it. No cash charged....however..

    Where's "there" anyways?

    Oh, and only 4 stars minimum hotel, with a bottle of something good waiting for me in the room.

    Plus a driver.

    Some attractive company wouldn't hurt either.. you know, as an ..uh.. assistant (no, YOU don't count).

    Oh, and I only fly 1st class.

    Plus I need you to rent me a whole set of kit.. you know, as backup.

    There, you're covered. You're welcome.
    Either do it full bore, or run away. But either way Jason, pretty ...unsmart(!) to promise to take care of it. hahah
    Well you had me till you said 1st class ticket lol. Even I can't afford to go first class. But if your willing to fly coach, keep November 17th open on your calender (+couple days for travel), it might end up cheaper for me to fly you here to shoot it than for me to miss a job.

    The wedding will be in Edmonton Alberta, Its an ugly place, and November is a crappy time of year, but Jasper is pretty close... only about 500km away and its very nice. Probably be a bit of snow by that time, average temps between -10C to +10C, not too cold yet, but you'll want to bring a coat. Good news is that the mosquitoes will be gone by then. Its usually overcast and the lighting is difficult, so you might want to come a couple days early to work out indoor locations, or figure out a way to make gloomy winter weather into something suitable for a wedding album.

    Unfortunately for me, I dont get to take "days off" I can opt out of a job, but if I do, i dont miss 1 day, I miss every day. If the job was 20 days, I miss them all. It would be more economical for me to fly you here, pay for a 4 star room, with a bottle of something nice produce some pretty company, a driver, a car (or truck probably) and rent my own gear from myself for your backup use, than it would be for me to miss a job.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhursey View Post
    Ohh one more thing. If you can go to the rehearsal do that! I call it my ceremony practice run. I ask to have the lights the same and so on then shoot it like I shoot the wedding that way I have an game plan on where I will be and what order things go in. Also I can check my settings and tweek if something goes wrong. Saved me once because in my second wedding I thought I was where I needed to be and every shot of the procession had motion blur so I had to bump the iso up a stop and then bring the shutter speed up.

    Also go to bed early and take tylonal PM. its the only way I have been able to sleep at least 5 hours before one because of nerves.
    This is some good advice. I told her that I wanted all the locations, the timeline and to do studio/engagement shots all so that I have as much practice with them as I can. Also thinking that with all these extra shoots I should have enough keepers of the couple to make a healthy book, then I just need to get the normal type shots during the wedding, and snipe emotion shots during the reception. Even with my paltry skills I should have enough keepers over 3 or 4 sets to fill a wedding album. Thats my thoughts on it anyway. I'll definitely be at the rehearsal.

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewdt View Post
    Everyone who asks if they're ready to do a wedding are usually not. And by a long way. I think it is obvious that you are on the opposite side of that scale and would by all measures of your existing work do a sterling job. Your attitude is 100% understood though. Maybe below is just the answer - you won't get all the shots you want if you;re not the main photographer, but you could possibly scrape about 50-60% of what you would have liked by using the below suggestion?
    Ok, you know when I said I didn't need kudos? yeah... it feels good anyway lol. Thanks for the vote of confidence ;D

    Quote Originally Posted by UlpilotSC View Post
    I love that idea. You're not committing to anything, so no one can blame you if it's screwed up.
    My sister asked me to shoot her wedding. She was doing a cheapy beach wedding package and didn't want to spend the extra $100 for the photographer, since "you have a nice camera". I told her that was a bit more responsibility than I wanted. She's sort of a pain in the ass and very stubborn.
    She wound up paying for the photographer and got all the family-on-the-beach shots. I stayed out of the way, didnt take any pictures. That was basically all the photog was contracted for, but she went to the reception for the free food (and she rode with the minister) and took a few pictures. I did take some shots that I set up, and the photog would run over to take a shot of my setup. It was pretty funny.
    But it gave me a cheap Christmas present, I blew one of mine up to 16x20 and said "hear you go".
    And since I had to drive 600 miles, give up a week of vacation time, and spend a lot of money just to stay there, I kept the damn towels I bought for her. They were nice towels.
    I could use some towels. Maybe I should get my wife to pick some up for her, then I can keep them too lol

  10. #20
    bhursey's Avatar
    bhursey is offline The Geeky Photgrapher
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakwood Ga
    Posts
    1,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzetsin View Post
    Its usually overcast and the lighting is difficult, so you might want to come a couple days early to work out indoor locations, or figure out a way to make gloomy winter weather into something suitable for a wedding album.
    I pray for over cast weddings its like a magical massive softbox. Although it does give a grayish blue tint but shoot raw.
    Cameras: Canon 60D, Canon 20D, 35mm Nikon FM2n
    Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8
    Tamron Lens: 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    Strobist: Canon 580EX II , "Vivitar DF400MZ, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, YN568EX"
    http://flickr.com/photos/bhursey | http://brianhurseyphotography.com

Page 2 of 7 First 1234 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in