Close
Close
    Mark Engelhart is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Monitor Calibration Devices?

I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this question but her goes. I would like some recommendations on Monitor Calibration Devices. I have been fortunate enough to have a fairly local lab that I have used for years and they just do the WB for me when I send it to them SOOC WB wise. I am finding other options for new products, etc. that all require the PP work including color correction be done by me. So I quess it's time to take this step. I'm just starting to investigate this so if you have found your device accurate and fairly user friendly I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Nikon D 600/ Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8, 80-200 F2.8 D, SB900, SB800

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

I use the Datacolor Spyder Express..no complaints, cost effective, gets the job done, but I work on a CRT, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness on a flat screen.
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

Mark Engelhart is offline dPS Forum Member

Thanks Vince. I checked it out a little on the internet and the spyder 3 pro might be the way for me to go. I use a flat screen sometimes but anymore I find myself editing on my laptop. The pro licenses for more than one monitor. I guess the other thing I would need to do is find out from the lab what color profile they need me to format the images in from PS?
    Last edited by Mark Engelhart; 03-17-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    Nikon D 600/ Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8, 80-200 F2.8 D, SB900, SB800

autofocus is online now I'm old here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engelhart View Post
    Thanks Vince. I checked it out a little on the internet and the spyder 3 pro might be the way for me to go. I use a flat screen sometimes but anymore I find myself editing on my laptop. The pro licenses for more than one monitor. I guess the other thing I would need to do is find out from the lab what color profile they need me to format the images in from PS?
    Mark, I just find it near impossible to do edits on my laptop...I think they may be hard to calibrate, also.
    Vince "...the law of unintended consequences, sometimes, you get a truly memorable photograph"
    Gear: Canon G2, Canon 20D, Nikon D300...bunch of lenses
    My Flickr
    www.montalbanophotography.com

ArmySoldier777 is offline dPS +1000 Club

Laptops are a little harder to calibrate, they just never seem to be quite right. I tried calibrating mine 4 or 5 times before I gave up on it. Btw, the Spyder 3 express is limited to 1 monitor PER computer. So If you're calibrating your PC monitor and your laptop monitor, then you're good It's the multiple monitors per 1 computer that it can't handle, and that's when the Pro version comes in. However, even that has a work around if you're video card supports the loading of multiple display profiles at one time for each individual monitor. You just calibrate each monitor individually and rename the profile it saves, then move on to the next. Then once your monitors are calibrated, you load the different profiles for each monitor It can be tricky though, and like I said, your video card has to have the support for it. So it's probably just easier to go with the Pro
    David
    Equipment
    Camera: Canon 6D | Lens: Canon 24-105 F/4L , 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8, Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Flashes : 430EX II, YN-560 II x 3 | Tripod: Manfrotto 055XProB / 498RC2 Ballhead
    Portfolio, Flickr

Biomech is offline World Commended

I use the spider 3 on a flat screen, seems to work well
    Art: www.jamieorourke.co.uk
    Work: www.jamieorourkephotography.co.uk
    Sony a200 Sony a580, Canon 500D, Canon 550D, Canon 600D, Canon 600D

Jim Bryant is offline Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

Quote Originally Posted by Biomech View Post
    I use the spider 3 on a flat screen, seems to work well
    +1 - me too. laptops are hard to calibrate as you are working up different lighting and lighting conditions. Need a constant light source, like leaving in your workroom. Lighting is different through the house, workplace or where ever you happen to be at the time.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.